The other basic side dish in this video is Gyeranmari.
Gyeranjjim is very easy to make if you use a microwave oven, but my grandmother made her gyeranjjim using her special method. She had a huge pot made of cast iron (“ga ma sot” in Korean) with which she made rice or soup. She made her gyeranjjim when she cooked rice at the same time. When her rice was almost done, she lowered the heat to let it simmer, then she put the bowl that contained egg mixture into the pot and closed the lid. Several minutes later, not only her rice but also her gyeranjjim was done. She took her gyeranjjim out from the pot. The steamy gyeranjjim always made my mouth watery and excited!
3 eggs, ½ cup water, 3 ts of salted shrimp sauce (“sae woo jeot” in Korean), 2 green onions
- In a microwavable bowl, put 3 cracked eggs, ½ cup water, 3 ts salted shrimp sauce, 2 chopped green onions and stir it with a fork
*tip: If you don’t have sae woo jeot (salted shrimp sauce), you can use 3 ts of fish sauce.
- Put it into the microwave oven and cook it for 5 minutes. Serve it with rice.
If no microwave oven is available, you can steam it. In a large pot, pour about 3-4 cups of water and place the bowl that contains the egg mixture in the center of the pot. Close the lid of the pot and cook it over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes.
Spicy steamed egg
(Maewoon gyeranjjim: 매운 계란찜)
This spicy steamed egg side dish is unusual because hot pepper flakes are used. I learned this recipe from my cousin living in a very southern part of Korea. Sometimes I make it this way and sometimes I make the mild one, which is more authentic gyeranjjim.
3 eggs, 1/2 cup of water, 1.5 tbs soy sauce, 2 ts hot pepper flakes, ½ tbs toasted sesame seeds powder, 3 green onion or chopped asian chives (bu chu)
- In a microwavable bowl, add 3 cracked eggs, ½ cup of water, 1.5 tbs soy sauce, 2 ts hot pepper flakes, 3 chopped green onions, and ½ tbs toasted sesame seeds powder and mix it well with a fork.
- Put it into a microwave oven and cook it for 5 minutes.
- Dribble some sesame oil on top before serving.