(The other recipe in this video is Matang)
This recipe is called “Ppottetto” (뽀떼또) and it’s Korean sweet potato fries, which are thinner and crunchier than french fries. When I was young, I used to buy this as an after school snack. I never thought about why it was called “ppottetto,” everyone just called it that. But now I realize the word came from the English word “potato!”
1 pound of sweet potato, vegetable oil.
- Peel a sweet potato. Rinse, drain, and dry it with paper towel.
- Cut it into thin strips 1/3 -1/4 inch thick and 5-6 inch long.
- Put about 5 cups of canola oil (or vegetable oil) in a wok or frying pan and heat it up for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato strips to the heated oil. Fry about 6-8 minutes until crunchy and golden brown.
- Put them in a paper towel to remove excess oil and serve.