Re: Onggi! How to use?

Home Forums General discussion Onggi! How to use? Re: Onggi! How to use?

#55564

Maangchi
Participant

What a great gift it is! : )

“We kept a batch in the onggi on the counter for about 3 days, and then a white film appeared on top of the kimchi.” The white film is mold. When you make kimchi and put the kimchi into container, jar, or onggi, you really need to avoid water. It will cause the kimchi to have mold. And if the kimchi is made too bland, it sometimes happens. It’s not harmful though.

After putting your kimchi into the onggi, press the top down with large spoon so that the top part of kimchi is submerged in kimchi liquid. This process will prevent the kimchi from getting mold.

Now your kimchi has some mold, then I would remove the top part of kimchi. You still can eat the rest of the kimchi.

Kimchi in onggi will start fermenting at room temperature in a few days but if you keep it in the fridge, it will take more than 2 weeks to ferment.

Views: