42 kilos lost and counting

Home Forums Introduce yourself 42 kilos lost and counting

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author
      tentsuyu

note to everyone: since i’ve discovered maangchi’s recipe videos on youtube, i’ve changed my diet almost completely to korean food. it’s so easy to make, healthy and great tasting, i’ve quit eating that fat-oozing western fast food stuff once and for all.

after one and a half years, i’ve lost 42 kilos so far and i’ve never felt deprived of anything (the ultimate secret to successful weight-loss).

maangchi, you know me already since i’ve contacted you on youtube, but i feel it’s about time to thank you publicly on your forum for your wonderful, wonderful videos. you helped me change my life.

your friend from berlin

chris

hopish

Wow, that’s great!

Actually, I am always hungry and love eating Korean food. I rarely go out to eat because the food I make at home is so delicious. I eat a lot, but I don’t gain any weight. I’m not super skinny either, I’m about average weight. Anyways that’s awesome! Korean food forever and ever <3

Reinier

Wow chris, that’s great.

I agree, very little oil/fat, little sugar and lots of vegetables.

Maangchi
      Keymaster

Chris,

I’m so happy to read it! Congratulations! You are eventually sharing your good news with the world! I’m very proud of you!

I think it would be wonderful if you shared with us how you lost the weight: menus, what you cut out, how you overcome hunger, etc. If it’s too much of a hassle for you, never mind. : ) Post it here or email it to me and I will direct readers to it who would find it helpful.

ylre
      Participant

Hmm..Korean food for losing weight? I might have to take a step back then if it’s for losing weight since I am already skinny. :)

I do think that Korean food deserves more push and recognition. It is indeed quite healthy if you will stick with the vegie rich dishes.

Good thing that we have Maangchi, our gateway to Korean cooking in English. ;)

tentsuyu

has been some time now (i’m not too active on the internet these days), but i’m happy to tell you more about my weight loss of course. :)

if you do what i did before, a) eat unhealthy food, b) too much of it, you will get fat in no time.

i’ve never really felt that hungry during the whole process of losing weight. i think the most important thing to begin with is:

get used to normal sized meals! i found this is easier to do with rice-based meals, don’t know why. a burger will fill your stomach for two hours, then you’ll want to eat again. not the case with rice. it somehow lasts longer.

so now that i started eating the right food and not as much as before, things went pretty easy from that moment on:

– i started seeing results in about a month, thus i got motivated to do some cycling on a regular basis, which of course helped lose more weight.

– i began to like soups. admit it, we western people don’t appreciate soups as much as koreans do. in fact, i always wanted grilled meat, fries, chicken etcetera before, everything but soups. now what’s the difference between a grilled half chicken with french fries and a bowl of doenjang jjigae in calories…?

– another very important thing: i’ve stopped buying anything that you could easily take out of the fridge and just eat without the need of having to do some sort of preparation work. in other words: in most cases, my laziness is even stronger than my appetite.

– only fat allowed: sesame seed oil and if necessary, a teaspoon of vegetable oil.

– fresh ingredients, lots of seafood, sometimes chicken, very little beef, almost no pork.

– try to make meals even smaller, if you still feel peckish after dinner, just have some kimchi. i’m lucky to have a korean store nearby where you can buy it freshly made.

all the compliments i received from my friends were also such a boost to my spirit.

i have to admit: i could not have consequently followed all these rules of thumb for such a long time without my fascination for korean food.

i like everything about it: the spicyness (i always loved chili), the garlic, the sesame, the seafood and the seaweed..

and in weak moments, whenever i was in danger of losing this fascination, maangchi had posted some new video that made me go “oh, i want to try this!”. except the crispy chicken wings, thank god.

i don’t know what else to tell you and i don’t want to make this post even longer. any questions, feel free to ask! :)

잘 먹겠습니다

chris

Maangchi
      Keymaster

Chris,

I’m very proud of you to leave your know-how here! Where did you learn the korean words? “잘 먹겠습니다” :) It means “I will eat it well.” Yes, I think you’ll eat good food well.

Anybody reading your post will agree that the reason you have lost your weight is not only changing diet but you have strong will! It’s not easy!

“…a burger will fill your stomach for two hours, then you’ll want to eat again. not the case with rice. it somehow lasts longer..”

This reminds me of what my mother says. We went to a shopping mall together and had hamburger for lunch there and came home. Right after coming home, she brought lunch again and said, “I’m still hungry, hamburger is just like snack. We should eat rice and kimchi!”

I should think about creating another discussion section “how do you control your weight” : ) In my case, I simply cut down on the amount of food that I eat.

Soups are good for a diet. I should post some more good recipes for soup. My kongnamul guk recipe (soybean sprouts soup) is a good example of low-calorie well-balanced diet food. When you eat it with a bowl of rice and add fermented radish kimchi to the soup, it’s very tasty and also you won’t have to worry about calories even though you eat it a lot! :)

For those of you who have never seen my kongnamulguk recipe and radish kimchi, here are the links: soybean sprout soup, kaktugi.

takka
      Participant

Hello Chris, I am so impressed, I had to comment!

I wish my German boyfriend would think the same way you do. I have tried to introduce him to different types of Asian food including a lot of Korean dishes, and he enjoys it, but afterwards feels the need to eat a lot of bread and cheese or sausages (not to mention chocolate). In fact I think he eats double, because if I didn’t cook the dishes, he would just eat the bread and cheese.

Congratulations on your healthier weight and on your open-minded attitude towards food. I find that some people are curious about other foods but in the end, prefer to go back to their usual thing. Which is natural of course, but too bad if it happens to be unhealthy.

Where is the Korean store where you buy kimchi? I live in Berlin too and I would love to go there!

A.

rv65

Congrats on losing 42 kilos.

Bernie
      Participant

I think the key to eating healthy is increasing variety. If you have variety and diversity, you body doesn’t get dowsed by any one type of food that it has to figure out what to do with in excess–usually turn into fat.

Korean food is the ultimate in variety. The heavy commitment to variety shines through in all the soups and bibimbap style dishes.

But there’s a lot of fried fatty dishes in Korean cuisine, but a Korean will never just eat a plateful of that stuff, day after day, like Westerners do. It’s usually a once in a while special occasion thing, or it’s eaten in small side-dish-like amounts in combination with a lot of healthy banchan and rice that you fill up on.

Also Western cuisine has such contempt for vegetables. Very little attention and effort is given to vegetables. It’s usually garnish or just ruffage, or uninspired salads. But in Korean food, the love for vegetables shows in all the ban chan dishes.

The biggest thing I hate about food at American restaurants (sitdown and fast food) is the lack of variety. You get a main dish and choice of just 1 or 2 side dishes, or sometimes, no side dishes at all. It frustrates me. I want like 4 or 5 side dishes to go with my meal. Give me less of the main meat item, and give me more side dishes! It’s my biggest rant. It’s why you’ll often find me driving out of the way to eat at a Korean restaurant.

tentsuyu

aksa,

the store i’m getting my kimchi from is located near leopoldplatz, luxemburger straße 31.

altho it doesn’t look korean from the outside and it’s a rather small shop, they have about every cooking ingredient you could wish for – and fresh kimchi of very high quality.

and while you’re in the area, there’s a great korean restaurant called arirang in walking distance, seestraße 106. it’s usually packed with koreans at evening times and does very authentic korean cuisine. you always get five banchan with every meal. most meals are between 6 and 10 euros. they’re closed on tuesdays.

bernie,

you’re absolutely right! i just love the korean side dishes. sometimes i just skip the main course altogether and just have some spicy myulchi bokkeum (maangchi’s recipe, it’s lovely stuff!), kongnamul and other veggies that go well prepared with sesame seed oil, soy sauce and garlic.

i also agree with everything else you said – typical western food is all about meat, french fries and stuff like that. no wonder americans and germans are the fattest people on earth.

maangchi,

i’m actually trying to learn the korean language. :)

altho i can read hangeul now, i’m pretty much stuck with the pronunciation rules and grammar, as it’s hard to find good resources for that on the net. you usually just find collections of sentences, like a travel dictionary, but no proper language course.

see you everybody!

takka
      Participant

thanks Chris for the addresses, I will definitely try them out!

julieRN

hmmm… i should try this! Me and my korean boyfriend have been so into korean cooking that we ALWAYS cook our meals at home. Aside from it being cheaper and fresher than always eating at korean restaurants, we get to bond more and have a lot of fun! yay! ^^ And! Now that I found out it could help you lose weight then I should switch to this diet to be sexier! k.k Chris, you’re such a great inspiration! Keep up the good work! And of course, I would never forget, thank you so much ms. maangchi for providing us easy and best ways to cook our own korean food! ^^

wangari

Hello people. This is my first time writing a comment and i’m so excited. Congatulations Tentsuyu. I have also noticed that i’ve lost some pounds. The thing i like about Korean food is that it’s healthy and tastes really good. Keep up the good work, and as the koreans say, “힘내요.”

seouleats

Chris, that’s amazing! Wow! Hey I am working on a presentation on Korean food and I was hoping you might be able to help me. Could I quote you on losing 42 kilos? You can e-mail me at seouleats (at) gmail.com

Thanks,

Dan

peonygirl
      Participant

Chris,

That is fantastic about your weight loss. I am also wanting to shed about 30 lbs. I am incorporating yoga, running, hiking and walking. Plus lots of raw vegan food like green smoothies, green salads etc. I plan to make my own saurkraut and of course my kimchi. I love Maangchi’s recipe- it looks delicious. I think moderate amounts of rice plus a couple side salads and a nice flavored soup- mild or spicy is perfect! It’s comforting and nourishing. The only drawback I see in Korean cooking is high sodium levels so I will just control that when I make the food. Unfortunatley my husband is not a lover of food like I am but he can be adventurous. That’s why I haven’t really kept up Korean cooking but NO MORE! Get ready to smell the stink of Kim chi honey! yum, I love it!ha!ha!

lisa

Thaory

Wow, congratz.

Really it’s amazing cause I’m trying to lose wieght and its really not easy. Takes a lot of commitment and control.

unchienne
      Participant

That’s fanastic news! If I ever get a handle on my portion control and impulse buys, I’ll hopefully start dropping some weight as well.

burntheMelos
      Participant

Very cool that you’ve lost nearly 100 lbs. I tend to eat a lot of homemade tacos and burgers because I love my meats and then I start to see the fat accumulate.

On half cup of rice and banchan’s with soup, I lose weight a lot easier after a workout then with Westernized food then workout.

As for the high sodium, drink a lot of water throughout the day and also you can cut down on the soy sauce or get low sodium soy sauce. There are ways to limit sodium intake, so that’s not too hard at all.

Sky

Wow, he has lost lots of his weight. I have, too. I am very small and have never been overweighed, but I have experienced something since I started to cook Korean dishes that I learn from Maangchi’s site. I eat three meals daily, which had never been happen to me, and still lose weight. I don’t know how I can explain. Anyhow since I started cooking Korean food, I don’t want to have such candies or sweets at all.

I don’t’ know this is true or not – I researched the fact that Sesame oil is good at those patients who have high blood pressure or diabetes.

I feel like Maangchi is my mother. Well, I had completely lost my appetite for food since I lost my mother in 2005. Plus, I had hardly cooked home anyway. I didn’t know how to cook and had never been interested in cooking. Now it’s totally different. I love cooking Korean food. I think the videos uploading from Maangchi make me cook. Whenever I watch her cooking videos, I want to go grocery shopping to try them. It works for me, haha. Wish you all the best.

Maangchi
      Keymaster

Hana,

oh,Your mom will be proud of you in heaven! I’m proud of you, too because you seem to be a person who tries to get what you want! “Since I started cooking Korean food, I don’t want to have such candies or sweets at all.” That’s a good tip! Thanks a lot!

bambi
      Participant

wow @ tentsuyu, you are a great inspiration. reading about your experience motivates me even more to learn cooking korean food… i have medical issues regarding weight gain and infertility due to hormonal imbalance, if this will help me loose more weight while doing exercise it will keep me away from relying on medications and hopefully a few more years from now me and my husband will be able to conceive :-)

Tequila
      Participant

@tentsuyu

You’re not the only person who found the miracle in eating korean food. I was told that a foreigner who had high blood pressure before he went to work in Korea. After sometime there eating the local food, he discovered that his is no longer diagnosed with high blood pressure. Even his doctor was amazed with the results.

Grats on you losing weight. I too need to do some serious dieting but I simply love foods of all kinds, namely spicy food.

@ maangchi

My first time posting here. Thanks for sharing your recipes with us. I’ve been trying some of them out and they are part of my regular meals almost every week. Luv yah. Hugz*

paulamyka

@cris

wow thats nice and thats a lot of lbs,,thanks to maangchi,,shes an angel,,a very humble person..a heavens gift,,

Maangchi씨 좋은 성격이 있습니다.

for learning korean i wish i can lend you my book my teacher made this book for us,, you can learn all the basic stuff grammars and some advance korean,,plus it has pictures and all the korean food is there,,its a huge book,,ㅋㅋㅋㅋits only $6 but i dunno how much is the shipping fee for germany

ㅎㅎ..i will try to upload it online but i have to ask his permission first ㅎㅎㅎ,,anyways you can also try watching kPop and Kdramas its entertaining at the same time u can pick up some korean words,,

tokidoki

This story is amazing! I’m new to the site, but i switched my eating habits about a week ago, and started eating Korean food only. I’ve had great results, so far in a week I’ve lost 2 pounds (I’m from the U.S). When I used to eat American food i always used to come home extremely bloated even if I’d barely eaten a thing, the food just didn’t agree with me. After switching to Korean food, i wake up with a flat stomach and go to sleep with one. It’s great! This website helps SO much. The food is amazing. 감사합니다!

viviAnna

viviAnna

Artist, Sculptor, Photographer, Poet,

Friend, Daughter, Mother, Grandmother,

Returning University Student, Traveler,

Explorer, Food Hound and knowledge collector

HI

I’ve been following Maangchi’s Korean food site/blog for a ‘very’ long time now. And finally decided to sign on after reading the weight loss Blog… so here goes with a little meaningful background first… My family and I have been eating Korean food since 1984 when a young South Korean student came over to do his Graduate studies in the USA… We met him one day when he came to buy a car and adopted our family because he liked us and /or he liked my husband’s straightforward style …??? … Just like that he became my preteen daughters’ older brother (oppa) and the son (adul) we never had (sort of)… When not on campus going to his classes or out with his friends, he hung out with us learning to fit in and practice his English skills, which rapidly became comfortable… Not more than a year later he persuaded my husband to mentor him and get him a job working together, while he continued his studies… From Roy (his Americanized name) we learned to enjoy eating Korean food and watching Korean Movies while I slowly learned a little vocabulary… Meanwhile we came to appreciate Korean theatrical performances (Pansori, etc) that were sponsored by the university, which at the time were few and far between… as for sports events, my husband, my girls and Roy would often go without me (movies, museums and galleries are more my style) …Since there were no Korean Grocery stores like Lotte, or HMart, here in the 1980s & early 90s and very few Korean restaurants as well… we learned to cook at home with Roy who happily brought the ingredients that came from far far way (NYC and much later from across the Potomac in Virginia) and took over the kitchen with our girls as helpers….I can’t tell you how delicious those eventful productions were… With Roy’s help, over time we learned by trial and error how to know a descent restaurant by their panjan, their pajun, their soups, their BBQ, and Bibimbap… Personally I love the kimchi and heamul Pajun, the Haedopbap, and Kimchi djigae best …actually, I’ll eat practically anything Korean as long as it’s not moving (literally) …Interestingly my daughters are even more critical than I am (if you can call it that) …If a restaurant can’t make something as simple as Bibimbap or Tchap Tchae which we can easily and do make at home…Well they can forget it… and…We do have our favorites…Truthfully, Roy spoiled us in the process… Today, it’s gotten really easy to go out for “good” (authentic) Korean Food, which can be found ‘E’verywhere… It’s as popular here as Chinese, Italian, Thai or Indian food (in that order); and, let’s not forget the Sushi, by any other name is just as much Korean fare (love it as Haedupbap best)… I know my family considers itself very fortunate to be in a location such as WashingtonDC where practically all the Korean ingredients and resources have become easily available.

Sadly, we lost touch with Roy some time after he got married (his wedding was a very special experience for us) …Still, for the previous ten years, he had been an integral part of our family’s casual and formal events with friends, family or with our girls and just us… In the meantime the girls had gone off to college and lives of their own themselves… and for years after we periodically reminisced about Roy, whether he had a family, how many children he might have, how they were doing, and if they had returned to their wished for Korean homeland or not (life for South Korea by then had changed dramatically…its people had finally regained their freedom from an oppressive military dictatorship that lasted 30 years)… Nevertheless, for us, Korean Food remained a significant part of our weekly meals because a really good restaurant had opened within a short walk from our house that we frequented very ‘very’ often… In time we got to know the owners, a young couple who treated us with the same deference they provided their Korean guests…They must have known we were in love with their culture… because we felt welcomed and accepted…part of their regular crowd… Periodically they would introduce us to different regional dishes, such as Toshisal style BBQ… and our food tastes increased with the seasonal menus…it was wonderful…we had our own Korean restaurant we proudly took friends and family to…the food was consistently that good… somewhere along the way my lovely husband died and several years later the restaurant was sold to a couple whose touch is not that good…Oh well…c’est la vie… Eventually I discovered Lotte, which was grand … then HMart came along which was a huge place and closer to home …later still, another Lotte opened nearby and I started to do my daily/weekly grocery shopping there as well …If I don’t feel like cooking I can pick up hot food that I can eat on site or take home (I’m alone now and there’s no one to cook for so why not, besides my husband would have loved it just as much as I)

…Overall I eat Korean food so often that I never even noticed that I lost a considerable amount of weight over the last five years (The weight was slowly falling off and I didn’t feel a thing…nor did I lose any sleep because the hunger pains had just vanished… In effect, I simply quit thinking about food… First off, let me tell you I am Diabetic (have been for what feels like centuries)… Second, I enjoy ‘good’ food (Yum)… and third I am a ‘volume’ eater (always have been)… Common sense tells me that even though I am no dietician and what I know is based on the prescribed Diabetic Diet I am supposed to follow… I think I have figured out exactly why we all have been able to lose weight after years of failure…the only portion control required here, is the Rice and the Meat (animal products)… because practically everything else is ‘Free Food’ (literally)… and this is why… 1) there are very few starchy vegetables other than rice in the Korean diet… 2) 90% of the vegetables are of the very low calorie variety… 3) 99% of the time it’s eaten RAW even when it’s hot or at room temperature (which I love)… 4) raw food takes far and away longer to digest, leaving us feeling satisfied all the time… and 5) it’s low in fat… So there you have it the best tasting health food diet in the world and by whatever means it took to get here we have found it…Hip Hip Hooray I Say… Still, I cannot say that I am no longer Diabetic (that will never happen) but things have improved for me dramatically…I have more energy…my mood swings have evened out dramatically… I’m not always hungry… and… what’s more I don’t feel guilty about what I eat when I cheat because with this Korean food style it’s easy to calculate it in once a week (which I have to do anyway since I’m Diabetic…Grrrrr)… so here we are…happy to tell you that you are all doing great… and that I am pleased for all of you as well… I may not know you but you are kindred spirits for me and I’m proud to count myself as one of you who made it to this place in your lives…

…As for myself… since I’m retired… I’ve decided to… 1) go back to school and get my Master’s degree for the fun of it… 2) learn more of the Korean Culture through their language while taking courses and watching the Kdramas on CableTV (my personal treat)… 3) play with my granddaughter who lives in NYC more often… 4) eat my way across (South) Korea someday… So, that’s the plan for the next 20 years … sort of… SeeYa … I’ll try to stay in touch …. Thank You Maangchi for being in the right place at the right time…I wish you the best… Oh, and thanks for letting me share…

me_esc

im very excited to read this. . maybe i should try to make korean food from now.:)

i knew that korean people thought that eating as a medicine..

and i ever ate kimchi and it can weight lost, but the taste seems too weird for me. but its oke.. it just unusually for me

i want try to make the other recipes..

to make fat get away from my body…

thanks to maangchi.. your very meaningful… :)

glad to know this site :)

piperjohn3
      Participant

Down 5 pounds in three weeks. I come home from work, have a nice bowl of kimchi and cold rice with a glass of wine, scrub some rice and let it soak then make some soup and banchan. Stash what I don’t eat for another day. I’ve been doing this for about a month and I am really happy with my general health and the two notches i’ve lost in my belt.

This is wonderful. I will continue and share with friends. My goal is to lose a lot more weight, Kimchi is key. It’s so delicious and filling but not fatty.

Not to be vulgar, but my digestive tract very much enjoys a Korean diet.

Cutemom
      Participant

Bravo and congrats to Chris who lost 42kg in 1 year.

I personally lost 10kg ( just checked) in the course of 4-6 months. I have been eating mostly rice in my life as I was born and raised in Indonesia. But only recently I saw the wisdom in my grandmother’s nagging to eat a complete breakfast bright early in the morning. I used to think that it’s too heavy and much to eat rice meals in the morning.

Well as it turn out since I found Maangchi’s site, I have been eating rice with soup and 1 extra banchan as breakfast. I cook my vegetable banchan and soup every other day and my meat banchan weekly the portioned out and freeze to eat throughout the week. With the exception of yukgaejang and ganjatang. When Maangchi wrote 2-3 servings, it turned into 5-6 servings for me.

I am very lazy to cook for every single meal and every day. So with korean food! it’s easier on me. I just need to make the different kimchi in one go once a month. Then just need to cook rice when I get out of bed every morning and either cook my soup or vegetable banchan while I take my shower. By the time I’m done and ready to sit down for breakfast, my soup, rice and banchan are ready to serve. My kids don’t like vegetables but they don’t mind eating my kongnamul, sukjunamul, chwinamul and jorim. They always ask for second lunch or after school treats.

I used to eat rice on a big plate but now I eat my rice in small japanese rice bowls I bought at Daisho and occasionally in korean rice bowls with lid whenever my korean boyfriend come into town.

All I do is just weigh myself every other week, change my plate into small rice bowl and eat huge breakfast in the mornings and I ended up losing 10kg after 16weeks. When I got started, I weighed in at 65,8kg and this morning I weighed in at 55,2kg.

I also recently found out that Korea ( only got data on the south) is the 1 country with the lowest obesity population of 5%. So Chris, you got a lot to be proud of when you can lose all the weight and easily keep it off. Korean food does make it very easy to keep our fat at bay and our weight in check.

Big thanks to Maangchi for sharing her accurate recipes without holding back anything so we can all cook great tasting and healthy food for our family or replicate tastes that we missed

Lianoh

Wow! Congratulations for losing 42kg. I am inspired, In fact, my husband and I have been thinking about losing some weight this summer. I thought about cooking Korean soup and stew since they are healthy and I just started last night. I am so grateful to read your testimony and will go on this adventure and see how much weight I can lose.

afan
      Participant

i am new to this website and find it fascinating. I need to loose weight without sacrificing flavour and I think i came to the right place. Wish me luck. I am a great cook and need to new inspiration to eat healthy and enjoy my life at the same time. Less fat more veg….
      The simple broth i made tonight was very tasty. I need use a couple of mandu in it…i think thats oke..the meal was light and wonderful.

Keep that weight OFF…and enjoy

Xiaolongimnida
      Participant

I agree so much about Korean food being so much more filling than Western food. I recently ate at a Korean restaurant, I ordered kimchi jjigae. They brought the soup and it was small size. If you order soup in Hungary they usually bring you a huge soup bowl. I got the rice and 6 banchan next to it, all were small sized. I was looking baffled and thought: “nah, I’m gonna swallow this in 2 minutes and be hungry”. I couldn’z finish the meal!! I was so full that I could hardly force the last spoonful of rice down. I ate at 1pm and at 7pm I was still not hungry at all. O.o When I eat at the office cafeteria every day, no matter how big a portion is (and it’s always huge), I’m hungry 2 hours later and have to buy some snack to be able to cope until dinner.

I don’t know how food is made here in Europe but in every restaurant the portions are getting bigger every year and of course when you pay for it, you don’t want to leave it on your plate, so you eat everything. Your belly adjusts and gets bigger and bigger. And they keep mking portions bigger everywhere.

I also cook a lot of Korean food at weekends, even family started to appreciate it, but on weekdays I usually eat at the canteen, because I am always too lazy to cook at home to bring to the workplace… Maybe I should really strengthen my willpower and prepare doshirak. I’m always hungry when I eat Western type of food.

walkyourdreams
      Participant

Hi,

I am thinking of ways to lose weight. SO when you eat Korean food, do you eat the meats and carbs too?

I need to lose 10 kilos!

HELP!!!

EvilGrin
      Participant

Use brown or red rice to lower the carbs. Basmatti is the lowest on the glycemic index but im not very fond of it with Korean food. Jasmine is one of the the highest at over 100 on the GI.

Use Rice Bran Oil. I buy King brand. Its very healthy for you compared to other oils and fats. It also has a very high smoke point. Olive oil is also good but be careful not to get it too hot. Unrefined coconut oil is also good for you in limited amounts. High in fat but it also contains a lot of the “good cholesterol”.

Uncooked kimchi is one of the healthiest foods you can easily make. Store bought kimchi has usually been pasteurized and contains way more salt than is needed. Try making kimchi from red cabbage. Its delicious and its one of the best vegetables for you.

I use a lot of the leaner cuts of pork for Korean dishes. Country style ribs still have a fair amount of fat but far less than pork belly. I also use pork loin roast. Its often cheaper and very lean. Sliced thin they both work very well for Jjigae.

stonefly
      Participant

Just a note: there is no cholesterol in coconut oil or any other vegetable oil, or vegetable for that matter. Cholesterol only comes from animals and your own body.

EvilGrin
      Participant

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid, a saturated fat that raises total blood cholesterol levels by increasing both the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.[31] Although this may create a more favorable total blood cholesterol profile, this does not exclude the possibility that persistent consumption of coconut oil may increase the risk of cardiovascular disease through other mechanisms, particularly via the marked increase on blood cholesterol by lauric acid.[31] Because the majority of saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid,[31] coconut oil may be preferred over partially hydrogenated vegetable oil when solid fats are used in the diet.[32

릴리
      Participant

Tentsuyu and anyone else:

Welcome to How to Study Korean!

is the BEST Korean learning language website/curriculum!~
      I tried many websites, but this was by far the best and it’s free.
      -릴리

EmeraldVen
      Participant

wow, this is inspiring! =) i myself need to lose a bit of weight, and even if i often eat and cook korean food, after knowing of this story, i am seriously thinking of switching to 100% korean food! =)

my husband will be elated at the thought that i shall be cooking Korean food every meal, every day. =D

Thilini1990
      Participant

Anyohaseyo

I really love korea.. I really like to try the weight loss with the korean way.. like there was a post in this website I am also a one who is getting hungry often and when it comes to food i feel like greedy..
      In our country cuisine lots and lots of oily food are there even for the traditional sri lankan food.
      we also have rice for our main course but i am practiced to have western foods like buns, burgers. when i see the korean foods it seems like very natural. really fresh. please share some healthy korean food recipes.

Onya
      Participant

Wow! That’s awesome. I’m planning to convert too. Just found this website today and it’s everything I’ve ever wanted. I’m so happy for you.

Sora93
      Participant

I’m super inspired by you! And I hope to start a healthy korean diet, for most parts of the week, over the next few months. I know I’m gonna cook Korean food for my birthday in a few months, and I have already planed what to cook, and I’m super excited about it!
      I already know that I love korean food, and I have an Asian supermarket that is not to fare away so I’m feeling quite lucky.

I hope everyone that is eating healthy and and beeing happy doing so.

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.