Korean cooking forum topics:
i made kimchi 3 days ago. and today i opend the jar. in some parts of the surface there were some tiny hairy white things (only in 2 spots) i took of the parts of kimchi that were underneath those 2 spots. and everything else was fine. i took a small bite and tastedthe kimchi , it was yummy and it didn’t seem to me or to my mum that the kimchi it went bad. i have never tasted kimchi but i’m sure if the kimchi went bad it would taste horrible.
i transferred my kimchi to a smaller clean jar and put it in the refrigerator. but i need to make sure before i use it, is it normal to have the white things in the surface and is it safe to eat it?
Hi Liandries. The white stuff on top of your kimchi is mould. Maangchi mentioned before in one of her kimchi posts to remove the top layer and see if the mould has spread. If the bottom layers are fine, just throw away the mouldy layer and in the future, press down the kimchi after taking some to prevent exposure to air.
Hope that helped :) 😃
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © Maangchi LLC.
All rights reserved.