Here is compiled a list of Maangchi's habits, likes, and dislikes that I came to know while watching Maangchi's videos.
1. Maangchi always says "put it this in a ______ (bowl, pot, etc)."
2. Maangchi loves sesame oil - she likes to put it in almost everything so she has to clear it up sometimes for recipes that don't require sesame oil. She always has her sesame oil in a yellow mustard bottle which makes a squeezy sound every time she squeezes. Most of the time she says "last touch, sesame oil!" whenever she uses it!
3. She loves to use 3 Crabs fish sauce in every recipe. She thinks its the best fish sauce there is and it makes everything taste good! (it's true!)
4. Maangchi loves to use phrases like "yummy yummy boong boong" or "booya" ":)" in her videos like when the dough rises in the hoddeok video.
5. Maangchi always uses "Sugar in the Raw" - she thinks the box looks very interesting and is thus very tasty and natural.
6. Sometimes when blending things or watching things cook, Maangchi looks so serious she always comments about it in her video.
7. Maangchi loves to caption sounds made by cooking or eating Korean style. All her sounds are "Korean" in nature. For example, when slicing meat for Yukhoe, she writes "susuk, susuk." When eating candied sweet potatos, she writes "keurug keurug"
8. Maangchi pronounces vinegar "venegar." :D
9. Maangchi loves to cool down pots or certain foods quickly by placing them in her metal bowl which is full of water. This can be seen in her broccoli pickle video,
10. Maangchi always cooks Gyeranmalyee in every video she makes a lunch box. For example, ojingeochae-muchim or broccoli pickle video. :P
11. She always says "that's it" in an effort to make the cooking process seem easy and simple. :)
12. Maangchi loves crunchy and crispy foods. From Maejakgwa, Pottetto, to Tangsuyuk and grilled mackerel, she likes to say "you hear the crunchy sound?" whenever she tastes her food.
13. Maangchi loves to give life to her food ingredients, especially when she tortures them. Her grilled mackerel fish talks "OMG Maangchi! You made me very flat!" or her dough in hoddeok is "abused" by maangchi. Her mung bean jelly says "Hey Maangchi, don't poke me!," and she stashes extra hoddeok dough into the "dough's stomach."
14. Maangchi loves to have a bottle of cold, refreshing beer on a hot summer night to eat with her food. She also loves to say cheers!
15. Maangchi loves to garnish/decorate dishes with in the following ways. 1. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top - spinach side dish, sauteed sea plant, shredded squid side dish. Black sesame seeds are used if ingredient color is bright. For example - pan fried tofu side dish. 2. Red chili pepper flowers - she tops dishes off with a flower made with sliced red chili peppers - collard green side dish, egg side dish, etc. 3. Decorate the dish with some type of leaf on top or on the side - radish side dish, stir fried pork side dish, mung bean jelly side dish, etc.
1. Maangchi doesn't like the name seaweed so she chooses to use the term seaplant instead.
2. She doesn't like burning her non-stick fry pan because it is something she treasures most! She doesn't let anyone else use her non-stick fry pan! Oh No!
This list is far from complete but hope members can help fill in the missing info! This is purely for fun and for the love of Maangchi - my hero! :P