Korean cooking forum topics:
How do you make purple rice? What kind of beans are it?
You are talking about black rice. It looks purple when cooked. There are no beans or other ingredients, just black rice. You can buy it in a Korean, or some other oriental stores.
There are many different rices available in the world. I even bought red rice (called Christmas rice) in my grocery store in the suburbs of Pittsburgh!
Thank you Ashimi for the answer.
Yes, it’s black sweet rice called heukmi chapssal (흑미 찹쌀) in Korean. http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients/black-sweet-rice
When you make multigrain rice with it, the rice color will look purple. Here is the recipe for my multigrain rice that I posted in the comment section under the rice photo. I’m copying and pasting this for you here.
1. Combine 1 cup of short grain rice, 1/2 cup of sweet brown rice, 1/2 cup of barley rice, and 2 tbs of black sweet rice.
2. Wash and drain a couple of times and put it in a pot with a thick bottom.
3. Pour 2.5 cups of water into the pot and soak it for an hour with the lid closed. (You can add soaked beans)
4. Bring the pot to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
Tip: it usually boils over after 8-10 minutes boiling.
5. Open the lid and turn the rice over with a rice scoop or spoon.
6. Simmer it over low heat for another 10 minutes!
Thank you so much!!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © Maangchi LLC.
All rights reserved.