Chicken and rice porridge

Dakjuk 닭죽

One morning in Fortuna, Costa Rica, I asked my travel agent to find shuttle bus tickets for Quepos. He called a shuttle bus company and said all the tickets were sold out for the day. So I had to book tickets for the next day. Consequently I had a whole free day.

What shall I do? Hmm, a few seconds later, an exciting idea came up in my mind. How about cooking some Korean food for my friends I made there? Ooh whoo, it made me very excited! Then what shall I make without using special Korean ingredients? The recipe should be very easy! Yes! I had some leftover rice in my backpack from making gimbap lunch box the other day. Dakjuk! Yes, yes! Yayee! Let’s go to the supermarket!

I picked up a whole chicken, garlic, watermelon, and some other fresh vegetables and seasoning sauce to make Korean style salad (geotjeori); chicken soup for main dish, geotjeori for side dish, and watermelon for dessert! Oh my! Fuji mama! Perfect!  : )

Do I have any memories about dakjuk? Are you joking to me? Lol yes, of course I do! I can’t forget watching my late grand mother (father side) killing a chicken. The chicken was running around her yard just before it got killed! My grand mother was kind of a tough woman. She picked one chicken among the dozens of her chickens running and playing in her yard.

I watched her twisting its neck and waiting until it died. Then she put the chicken in hot water to remove all its feathers, and cut its stomach with a knife and took out all guts! It sounds horrible, but I never felt scared or disgusted at the time. Even though I felt sorry for the chicken, I remember, we were going to have delicious dakjuk soon for dinner, that’s all I was dreaming. When the chicken was boiling with lots of garlic, the smell spread in the village!

Her chickens were her live food resources just like her vegetables grown in her patch! : )

In Korea, sons-in-law are treated very well by their mothers-in-law. So when a son-in-law visits his mother-in-law’s house, he will expect her to cook chicken to welcome him. These days the custom may be changing.

My dakjuk in Costa Rica turned out great! All of my friends enjoyed the soup. They liked my geotjeori, too.

When you have many unexpected visitors, make dakjuk. You can feed so many people! If you want to add more side dishes, I recommend vegetable pancake or green onion (or Asian chives) pancake. What else? Of course don’t forget to serve kimchi.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Cooking time: 2 hours

A whole chicken (about 3 pounds), 1½ cups of garlic cloves, 1½ cups of rice, 2 eggs, 3 green onions, salt, water.

For 2 kinds of  dipping sauce:
Salt and pepper, soy sauce, vinegar, hot pepper flakes, green onion, sesame seeds, sugar.

1. Soak 1½ cups of rice in cold water for 1 hour.
    *tip: if you like thinner soup style, use 1 cup of rice;  if you like thicker porridge style, use 1½ cups rice
  2. Wash and drain the whole chicken.
  3. Trim the fat from the chicken’s stomach area with scissors; cut off the tip of bum part. : )
  4. Place the chicken in a large pot and add 12-13 cups of water.
  5. Add 1½ cups of garlic cloves and bring to a boil over high heat for about 40 minutes.
  6. Turn down the heat to low-medium and cook 20 more minutes.
  7. Rinse and drain the rice, and add to the boiling chicken porridge.
  8. Remove any fat floating on top of the soup with a spoon or ladle.
  9. Keep boiling with the lid closed for another 30 minutes.
    *tip: lower the heat if it boils over
  10. Chop 3 stalks of green onion and beat 2 eggs and set aside.
  11. Check if the chicken is cooked tender or not by poking the meat with a fork or chopsticks. It’s usually tender after 1½ hour of cooking, but if it’s not tender enough, cook a little longer.
  12. Add 1 tbs salt to the soup and mix it with your spoon. The amount of salt depends on your taste, so use more or less as you like.

Ok, now time to serve!

Take the chicken out of the pot, transfer to a large plate, and put it on the table to serve.

Make 2 kinds of dipping sauce:

1. Mix 1 tbs salt and ¼ ts black ground pepper in a small bowl
  2. Mix these ingredients in a bowl (this is my father’s favorite dipping sauce whenever  he had this dish):
    • 2 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs vinegar, 1 tbs chopped green onion, 1 ts sugar, 1 ts roasted sesame seeds, and 1 ts hot pepper flakes.

Now back to the chicken soup!

1. Add the chopped green onions (from #10).
  2. Add the beaten eggs. Pour them in and wait for 10 seconds before stirring, to let them cook.

Your chicken soup (or porridge) is ready! Turn the heat off and serve.

1. blasianbear Louisville, KY joined 4/13
    Posted October 7th, 2013 at 2:51 pm | # |

This porridge is excellent! Sundays are typically my day to stay home and try out new recipes or just cook and enjoy. I already tried a couple of your other recipes, and I had been eyeing this one for quite some time now. So, I made this yesterday, and it turned out wonderful! I was a little skeptical with all the garlic, but it really has a good flavor once you boil it with the chicken and rice. I smashed most of the cloves once I removed the chicken to cool, and they seemed to thicken the porridge a bit. I have shared this with friends, who also enjoyed it. Thanks again!

Posted October 8th, 2013 at 10:01 pm | # |

I’m glad you have been enjoying my recipes!

2. Thevy France joined 9/12
    Posted September 1st, 2012 at 1:06 pm | # |

Hey! I’m trying your recipe and it smells and looks good! But i have put slices of ginger at the beginning then i took them out after 40min. Is it still good even if you didn’t put some in your video recipe?

Greetings from France

Posted September 4th, 2012 at 10:43 am | # |

great great!

• Koffee London, ON joined 5/14
      Posted May 26th, 2014 at 11:49 am | # |

I was actually thinking the same, in chinese congee, we always put ginger into our congee (porridge) and it tastes great! chicken + ginger = can never go wrong!

3. beautifullight41 United States joined 4/12
    Posted April 19th, 2012 at 11:36 pm | # |

You are sooo cute!!!! I was looking for a salmon jook recipe for my 7 month old baby, but this dakjuk looks soooo good! I love all jooks, but dakjuk is definitely one of my favorites!

Posted April 20th, 2012 at 9:55 am | # |

This juk will be a good choice for your baby.

4. Morrigaine Virginia joined 4/12
    Posted April 5th, 2012 at 11:19 am | # |

I actually found out about you through browsing randomly on Youtube. Upon browsing your website I found myself longing for the Korean food that I used to get to eat as a kid. SO I DECIDED.

I ran to the store and bought the ingredients for Dakjuk! Of all the foods I used to eat, this was my favorite “winter time” dish. It’s cooking right now too. :) But seeing as it’s only me at home right now, I am using chicken breasts instead of a full chicken. Haha.

I can’t wait to eat it, it smells HEAVENLY.

Posted April 20th, 2012 at 9:56 am | # |

Use lots of garlic when you make this porridge. It will turn out delicious! Cheers!

5. serenarose13 maine joined 3/12
    Posted March 4th, 2012 at 6:11 pm | # |

Made this tonight because its exams week! Love your recipes!

6. Heiijeil joined 10/10
    Posted December 4th, 2011 at 9:01 am | # |

Cooked this tonight for a husband who just had all his wisdom teeth taken out. It was delicious! Followed the recipe,except we used chicken parts, as there were only two of us. I’ve so far done this and mak kimchi, and plan to try out the other dishes – your recipes are very easy to follow. Thanks!

Posted December 6th, 2011 at 12:53 am | # |

“…his wisdom teeth taken out” ouch! Making dakjuk was a great choice! Congratulations!

7. Dwane Australia joined 7/11
    Posted July 21st, 2011 at 6:38 am | # |

hello maangchi, i just came across your website and want to say a big thank you! i have cooked two of your amazing recipes over the last week, kam ja tang on Sunday and dak juk tonight. You make it so so easy to follow and understand. At the moment, it’s winter here in Australia, and being able to cook both of these soups really warmed us up and they turned out really well. I am so happy i found your website, I hope that you can come to Australia sometime and visit :)

Posted July 21st, 2011 at 9:00 am | # |

gajatang is a little difficult to make for a beginner cook but it sounds like you made good one! Congratulations! Making Dakjuk (porridge with chicken) is a piece of cake, right? : )
      Sure I love to visit Australia someday. Happy cooking!

8. Ruby1766 joined 2/11
    Posted February 6th, 2011 at 12:24 pm | # |

I just made this porridge this morning for my husband and I. I was surprised how tasty the porridge was with just 1 tbs of salt for seasoning.

9. maggs UK joined 1/11
    Posted January 4th, 2011 at 7:11 am | # |

would using chicken pieces instead of whole chicken be okay?

Posted January 4th, 2011 at 1:12 pm | # |

yes, you can.

• maggs UK joined 1/11
        Posted January 17th, 2011 at 5:12 pm | # |

i tried this out with half the quantity of ingredients and chicken pieces.
        it was easy, tasty and subtle.
        I thought the garlic would overpower everything and that would be all i could taste, but i was wrong.
        The garlic was light, the chicken soft and lightly flavoured and the rice porridge/soup was warm and filling.
        A wonderful start for anyone wanting to begin korean cooking!
        Thank you.

10. Ronnie joined 9/10
    Posted September 12th, 2010 at 1:35 pm | # |

That looks like wonderful “comfort food”. One question: Why do you add salt at the end? Wouldn’t the chicken be more flavorful if it simmered in salted water?

• Tequila Malaysia joined 7/10
      Posted January 17th, 2011 at 7:52 pm | # |

You can try pre-season the whole chicken with 2 tbs of salt and leave it to aside for cooking several hours later. Add salt to porridge according to your taste after it is done.

11. tvFxqC USA joined 5/10
    Posted August 11th, 2010 at 7:39 pm | # |

i just make this right now, and wooow. it’s soo good.
    i didn’t know my mom can’t eat meat today so she couldn’t try it but she saw it and she said she can’t wait to try it tomorrow^_^
    i especially love how the chicken came out, it’s very tender and dipped in the sauce, delicious.
    thanks so much for the recipe maangchi ! 감사합니다 ! ^_^

Posted August 11th, 2010 at 10:32 pm | # |

Tomorrow when you take it out of the refrigerator, you will see it gets thicker. Then add water and reheat it. Stir it with a wooden spoon and add more salt if needed. Awesome news!

12. Brigitte Montreal,Canada joined 1/10
    Posted August 10th, 2010 at 11:55 am | # |

Hey Maangchi,

There is a greek version like this one that my greek granny used to make for me.She passed away a few years ago so I asked my dad to make it…..My dad always underestimates himself so it didn’t turn out soo good.But now with your recipe,I could make a Korean version that will practically taste the same as the Greek one!:D Thanks for the recipe!

Posted August 11th, 2010 at 10:36 pm | # |

oh, yeah? I agree that there are so many similar food in different cultures. When I traveled to Barcelona, I met a man who ran the Youth hostel where I stayed. He made African style chicken porridge for us. I was very surprised when I tasted it because it was exactly like Korean style chicken porridge! (dakjuk). It was made with rice, garlic, and whole chicken. : )

13. tsirhcevoli USA joined 3/10
    Posted April 3rd, 2010 at 5:50 pm | # |

Maangchi,
    I am doing a cooking show. Is it okay if I use your recipes?
    (It is okay if I can’t)

14. justineee Washington joined 3/10
    Posted March 28th, 2010 at 11:05 pm | # |

my mom always put the rice inside the chicken so it had that nice chicken juices inside. she also put in prunes. but the egg is something i havent tryed before! i should try it out!

15. medusa Australia joined 3/10
    Posted March 24th, 2010 at 9:49 am | # |

Oh Maangchi,

This was the BEST dish for me 3 days ago when i came down with the flu! So nourishing and heart-warming. It is such mum-food.

Posted March 24th, 2010 at 4:48 pm | # |

Woe, you made this porridge even though you were sick! I’m glad to hear that you love this recipe! Thank you!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2 3