Hot and spicy rice cake

Tteokbokki 떡볶이

When I lived in Korea I learned the secret to making good tteokbokki from a famous place in a market. It was run by an old lady who could always be found stirring her tteokbokki. People were lined up to buy it.

I saw she used dried anchovies in her stock, and that ingredient made a huge difference in the flavor.

I once ran out of dried anchovies and made tteokbokki without it. It didn’t taste at all like what I was expecting. So don’t forget to always make a good stock with dried anchovies when you make this!

1. Add the water, dried anchovies, and dried kelp to a shallow pot or pan.
  2. Boil for 15 minutes over medium high heat without the lid.anchovy stockanchovy stock
  3. Combine hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, and sugar in a small bowl. Remove the anchovies and kelp from the pot and add the rice cake, the mixture in the bowl, the green onion, and the optional fish cakes and hard boiled eggs. The stock will be about 2 ½ cups. ddeokbokkiddeokbokkiddeokbokkie
  4. Stir gently with a wooden spoon when it starts to boil. Keep stirring until the rice cake turns soft and the sauce thickens and looks shiny, which should take about 10 -15 minutes. If the rice cake is not soft enough, add more water and continue stirring until soften. When you use freshly made rice cake, it takes shorter time. If you use frozen rice cake, thaw it out and soak in cold water to soften it before cooking.ddeokbokki
  5. Remove from the heat and serve hot.

ddeokbokki

1. kcm_20 canada joined 12/16
    Posted December 9th, 2016 at 10:45 pm | # |

hi maangi, I love following you on youtube. Your page is awesome. here is my version of Tteokbokki.

(10)
  2. Iamjhec Philippines joined 11/16
    Posted November 15th, 2016 at 9:49 am | # |

Hi Maangchi! I’ve been craving for tteokbokki for days now and today I finally got the chance to cook! I have made Yangnyeom Chicken for many times already, Kimbap, Jeyuk Bokkeum, Kimchi Bokkeumbap, Galbi, Sundubu Jjigae, Doenjang Jjigae, Kimchi Jjichae, Japchae, Kimchi and many more all from your website and tutorials!! I followed the recipe for this tteokbokki except for the anchovy and the fish cakes, I used odeng instead of fish cake balls and fish cubes to make the stock and added dasima to it. It turned out so good!! Look! Thank you for sharing all of there great recipes Maangchi!!

(2)
      Posted November 22nd, 2016 at 2:24 am | # |

Your tteokbokki looks so delicious and perfect! It sounds like you have been getting into Korean cooking these days! Good luck!

• Iamjhec Philippines joined 11/16
        Posted November 22nd, 2016 at 6:45 am | # |

Yes Maangchi! I have been a Korean Food Addict since I became an English Teacher for Koreans here in the Philippines. I’ve been teaching since 2009. I am now a
        유치원 Headteacher for 3 years. Its the best and most rewarding thing ever! Seeing kids learn from you and most of the Korean Parents appreciate our work! Its true when you said in your Gimbap Video that Koreans respect Teachers a lot. And by the way I just ate my favorite snack as Im writing this, Pajeon! Thank you so much for replying to my comment Maangchi!! You rock!!

• Iamjhec Philippines joined 11/16
      Posted November 15th, 2016 at 9:52 am | # |

Here’s one more pic.

(3)
  3. Mdefields Indiana joined 1/17
    Posted February 13th, 2017 at 6:46 pm | # |

Nummy!! I didn’t have anchovies, so I used dried shitaki mushrooms instead. Not an egg fan, so omitted those. It tastes great!

(2)
  4. Xara E MO, USA joined 1/17
    Posted January 2nd, 2017 at 4:28 pm | # |

Tried this today. Made the rice cake yesterday, and boiled it with sauce this afternoon. So yummy! Used bonito flakes since I don’t have anchovy. Mmmmmm!

(1)
      Posted January 3rd, 2017 at 10:49 am | # |

wow, it looks very tasty with delicious looking broth! You made this with your homemade rice cake! Fantastic!

5. Sio lover Ksa joined 12/16
    Posted December 26th, 2016 at 10:52 am | # |

Its wow thanks to you but why it still taste rice flour

(1)
      Posted December 27th, 2016 at 11:53 am | # |

It looks great to me! Cook it longer if it tastes a little uncooked.

6. aegisshi USA joined 2/16
    Posted February 21st, 2016 at 8:49 pm | # |

Hi, I had a quick question. Is there another ingredient I can use instead of dried anchovies? They are just so expensive where I live and I have to drive so far to get them. Can I use something like fish sauce?

• Helia Indonesia joined 3/16
      Posted April 12th, 2016 at 7:37 am | # |

I used fish sauce and it turned out fine. Most fish sauces I could find had anchovies as main ingredient.

(1)
      • Mdefields Indiana joined 1/17
        Posted February 13th, 2017 at 4:55 pm | # |

How much fish sauce and water instead of stock? Thank you!!

• Helia Indonesia joined 3/16
          Posted February 16th, 2017 at 2:43 am | # |

I still made stock with kelp first, skipping the anchovies as per Maangchi’s instructions. I can’t recall exact amounts because I haven’t made this in a while, but start with about 2tb and keep tasting till it is to your liking. I find that since gochujang paste is slightly salty itself, it’s a good amount to start off with to not get too salty of a dish. (I added the fish sauce near the end.)

7. Basoma Kuwait joined 4/16
    Posted April 11th, 2017 at 8:47 am | # |

안녕하세요?
    Maangchi,, today I’ll make Tteokbokki but I don’t have dried anchovies and kelp what can I use instead of it?

8. Sio lover Ksa joined 12/16
    Posted March 28th, 2017 at 3:23 pm | # |

Thats the best time I did it its awesome and sooo chewy so spicy and it melts inmy mouth

Posted April 4th, 2017 at 5:03 pm | # |

Your tteokbooki looks so spicy, savory, juicy, and chewy! Yum!

9. O, Joo-Hwan Las Vegas, Nevada USA joined 2/17
    Posted March 15th, 2017 at 9:22 am | # |

Another new recipe. Got my super size rice cakes from a special stand near the supermarket. This is really good. And it really does remind me of the texture of mozzarella sticks. I went straight rice cakes for this first try. Hard to describe the flavors as savory and sweet compete for my attention.

10. Pim Portland, OR joined 3/17
    Posted March 11th, 2017 at 7:24 pm | # |

I’ve made this so many times using your recipe and will continue doing so! Each time I tried different types of fish cakes :) and I always add noodles (my husband loves it!). Thank your for the recipe!

11. H7zAngel Murfreesboro, Tennessee USA joined 12/14
    Posted February 14th, 2017 at 5:04 pm | # |

I decided to make tteokbokki today for my daughter and I am going to serve it to her as part as her Valentine Dinner. It is a bit sweet but once you eat about 5 pieces the hot hits the back of your throat and lips from the sauce. My daughter likes the tteokbokki sauce thick so I cook it a little longer than what is said.

Posted February 16th, 2017 at 11:08 am | # |

It looks so yummy! “My daughter likes the tteokbokki sauce thick so I cook it a little longer than what is said.” You did a great job!

12. bny Hungary joined 1/17
    Posted January 18th, 2017 at 10:36 am | # |

Hello! 안녕하세요!
    I just finished now with my tteokbokki. It’s yummy but i’m sure i can do it better later so i will keep making it. ;) I didn’t have anchovy and kelp so i used my mom’s bone soup for broth.
    It’s my first time making tteokbokki but not the first time eating it.
    Thank you Maangchi for inspiring with the recipe! ^^

13. ApronStrings Texas joined 10/16
    Posted October 20th, 2016 at 9:15 am | # |

I first made this following your recipe a few years ago. Now, every time my sister visits, she asks for me to make tteokbokki. Thank you so much for providing such great recipes!

Posted October 20th, 2016 at 10:31 am | # |

Tteokbokki made with spicy anchovy broth is irresistible!

14. florflor singapore joined 10/16
    Posted October 9th, 2016 at 12:55 pm | # |

I know it’s absurd to ask if there is any recipes that does not include rice cakes. I would only want to use the teokbokkie sauce in other dishes. Can u please advise me as my family does not like the texture of rice cakes.

• CynthiaH Wichita joined 1/12
      Posted October 11th, 2016 at 9:38 pm | # |

Florflor, you can use this sauce with all fish cake and eggs. Why not? Follow the recipe except for adding rice cake. Just a suggestion.

15. hollyn TN joined 10/16
    Posted October 3rd, 2016 at 7:19 pm | # |

How exactly do I use chicken broth or vegetable stock to make the broth? Substitute the water and anchovies and put the kelp in the stock? How much stock exactly? Thank you!

16. Azumor Madison, WI joined 8/16
    Posted August 5th, 2016 at 8:01 pm | # |

Hi, bought Gochujang Brown Rice Red Pepper paste by mistake, can I use it instead of the Red Hot Pepper Paste or will it taste different or less spicy ???

Don’t know whats the different between those 2.

17. Mao Denmark joined 7/16
    Posted July 23rd, 2016 at 4:55 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi! I finally made this recipe,I have been wanting to make it for so long,but no recipe was as good as yours! It looks good and it tasted amazing! The smell is nice too ! :) Thank you a lot !

Posted July 25th, 2016 at 12:28 pm | # |

Your tteokbokki looks so spicy and delicious! You added some ramyeon! Happy cooking!

18. Savvy Sage USA joined 7/16
    Posted July 19th, 2016 at 8:59 pm | # |

You know what’s so cool about Tteokbokki is a little sweet and spicy.
    It’s a perfect mix!! :)

19. Loidette Manila, Philippines joined 7/16
    Posted July 15th, 2016 at 1:15 am | # |

Made my 1st tteokbokkie today…
    I add cabbage and quail egg because I can’t find fish cake in the groceries.
    Thanks for the recipe.

20. hanna.io usa joined 6/16
    Posted June 18th, 2016 at 6:24 pm | # |

Hi! I really want to make Tteokbokki but I can’t seem to find It anywhere near where I live. I’ve checked in the asian stories aswell. I have ground fresh chili paste which has a different consistency and pepper flakes. I got it because when I asked the man at the asian store I needed to make spicy rice cake he told me to use it. Is it okay for me to use this? and How?

• hanna.io usa joined 6/16
      Posted June 18th, 2016 at 6:25 pm | # |

Sorry, i forgot to write, I cant seem to find pepper paste

• lilyoungeun Malaysia joined 11/16
      Posted November 2nd, 2016 at 4:39 am | # |

Did you try it with the sambal sauce? I can’t imagine using that for tteokbokki. Curious to know how it turned out if you did. Korean red pepper paste is a pretty common ingredient if you go to an asian store or any aisle with korean products. It shouldn’t be too hard to find…if all else fails, I suppose you can order from online.

• safa USA joined 11/16
        Posted November 20th, 2016 at 10:04 pm | # |

Hi! I tried it with sambal sauce and it turned out great! Everyone in my family loved it. It might not be the same consistency and the color isn’t exactly as red and the picture but an orange to red color. I add a few more things to it just to make the consistency thicker. But defiantly is a good substitute for the paste. You should defiantly try it out :)

21. FloridaYoder Elon, NC joined 6/16
    Posted June 16th, 2016 at 10:00 pm | # |

I have a Korean friend who taught me to make Ddoekbokki with carrots and onions as well as fish cakes and rice cakes. Her recipe also uses soy sauce with the gochujang, but does not use the pepper flakes. Is that common? Most often I’ve seen Ddoekbokki with just the rice cakes and fish cakes.

Posted June 18th, 2016 at 9:22 am | # |

Everybody has a different recipe for tteokbokki. As long as it turns out tasty, it’s good! Your tteokbokki looks very tasty by the way! It’s made with vegetables so that can be one meal!

22. MummylovesSeth Singapore joined 6/16
    Posted June 9th, 2016 at 11:14 am | # |

Hi Maangchi
    I just tried cooking Tteokbokki but no rice cake as I am eager to try it so I added my own ingredients. I did not add a lot of Chilli paste and it already spicy and I’m loving it. I will try again once I get the rice cake and will add more Chilli..

Just wanna say thanks!

23. aenjivon ... joined 5/16
    Posted May 30th, 2016 at 6:09 pm | # |

Is it possible to use small anchovies?

• Pim Portland, OR joined 3/17
      Posted March 11th, 2017 at 7:26 pm | # |

Of course! I have no luck with big anchovies, so I just use the small ones I have. You can just estimate how many you need. I usually do 14-15 small anchovies.

24. bigbang_kpop California joined 4/16
    Posted April 22nd, 2016 at 11:20 pm | # |

Is fermented hot pepper paste the same as hot pepper paste?!?!?

25. LiuJiaXi Spain joined 4/16
    Posted April 17th, 2016 at 10:33 am | # |

I did this recipe today, and it was awesome!! Thanks Maangchi for sharing these deliciousness.

26. EmShay Oakland, California joined 3/16
    Posted March 6th, 2016 at 8:14 pm | # |

Maangchi,

It’s difficult for me to express in words how grateful I am that I found your website and your recipes. I am just now finishing a very difficult period of my life where it was hard for me to find a reason to be happy about much. Lucky for me, I found your website and decided to try making some of the recipes. This tteokbokki recipe was the first I tried. The surprise and satisfaction of cooking something so tasty gave me a positive glow that I hadn’t felt in a long time.

These days, I am constantly cooking something and always telling friends and family to come over so we can share a meal together. The times where I’ve shared delicious food with family and friends has revitalized me and brought light back into my life. This is all possible because of the hard work you’ve put into your recipes, the website, and the book. I can now look back at those times and smile knowing that I ended up gaining something priceless — I’ve gained the confidence that I could make something delicious that brings smiles to the faces of the people I love.

Thank you!

27. Estar Singapore joined 7/14
    Posted February 26th, 2016 at 11:04 pm | # |

Just sharing a tip for people who can’t get access to dried anchovies. In some Asian supermarkets, you may be able to find Ikan Bilis (anchovy) stock powders and stock cubes – usually Knorr or Maggi brands. Sometimes I use the no MSG versions to replace dried anchovies and they work well!

• catzzmn Malaysia joined 8/16
      Posted August 2nd, 2016 at 1:01 pm | # |

How many cube if anchovy stock did you use? 1 cube?

28. RosalinaS Indonesia joined 2/16
    Posted February 25th, 2016 at 11:28 am | # |

This was mine, I added quick-melt cheese! It’s so addictive till I ate it 3 days in a row (once a day surely). Thanks Maangchi.