Grilled beef

Soegogi-gui 쇠고기구이

Korean style grilled beef is served with green onion salad, a mixture of bean paste and hot pepper paste called “Ssam Jaang”. You wrap it all up into a leaf of lettuce and pop it into your mouth. You can dip some pieces of cucumber and carrot into the spicy paste.

1. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces, ½ inch in thickness, and put them in a bowl. Add 1 ts of salt, a pinch of ground black pepper, and 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it with your hand. Set it aside when you’re done.
  2. Make ssam Jaang (dipping sauce) by mixing the following ingredients: 1tbs of hot pepper paste, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs of chopped green onion, 1 tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
    That’s it! You made a very nice dipping sauce!
  3. Make seasoned green onion (“pajuhri”)
    1. Slice 8 green onions thinly, in 5 cm lengths. Cut them into thin strips
    2. Rinse the sliced green onion in running water. Drain it and set it aside.
    3. Make sauce by mixing 2 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame seeds, and 1 tbs of sesame oil.
    4. Add the green onions to the sauce and mix it up with a spoon.

Are you ready to cook?

1. Slice up a dozen of cloves garlic (each clove should be sliced 3 or 4 times) and place them in a small bowl.
  2. Cut carrots and cucumbers into bite-sized sticks for dipping.
  3. On a heated grill or pan, drizzle some sesame oil to prevent meat from sticking onto the grill and to give it good flavor.
  4. Add chunks of meat and sliced garlic using your tongs and cook.
    grilled beef
  5. When it’s cooked, wrap a piece of beef and garlic in a leaf lettuce. Add some dipping sauce and pop it into your mouth. All you can do is chewing and enjoying the delicious taste! Don’t forget to think about me while enjoying the food!

*tip: Beef can be replaced with thinly sliced pork belly which is called “samgyupsal gui”

1. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 4th, 2009 at 10:38 am | # |

Jennifer,
    Mix sesame oil, salt, and black pepper powder. That’s what I’m doing.

2. Jennifer
    Posted March 4th, 2009 at 1:13 am | # |

Dear Maangchi,

Lately I’ve been addicted to eatting korean bbq! It’s quite expensive so I’d like to try making it at home. At the restaurant they serve the bbq with duk bo sam (rice paper?) and this sesame oil sauce. Do you know how to make the dipping sauce for that? I believe it’s salt mixed with something else in sesame oil. I’ve tried to make it at home but it doesn’t quite taste the same (so I keep going back to the restaurant instead lol).

Please help me! and my wallet :)

3. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted February 25th, 2009 at 8:23 am | # |

cooking neophtye,
    Wow, thank you for letting me know your successful korean cooking!

4. cooking neophtye
    Posted February 24th, 2009 at 6:37 pm | # |

I cooked bulgogi jungol and Japchae for my husband. I followed your recipes to the letter and they turned out really really good. You’re an amazing cook and teacher. I’ve never been able to cook japchae before. Thanks again and keep up your amazing work!!!

5. Dkay
    Posted January 25th, 2009 at 3:40 am | # |

Hi Mangchi,
    Ilove you site… since Korean food is expensive here in Dubai your site is very helpful becauseI can make my own koren dish now.
    More power!

6. Jules
    Posted January 21st, 2009 at 3:15 pm | # |

Hi Mangchi,
    love your cooking videos, they look so easy, but its very difficult to find some of the ingredients here in schwäbisch hall germany, i will make some bulgogi for dinner on sunday, wish me luck

7. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted January 18th, 2009 at 5:44 pm | # |

albert,
    sure, eel bbq, someday I am going to post the recipe. Thanks,

8. albert
    Posted January 18th, 2009 at 11:42 am | # |

hi i’m ALBERT FRIAS from the philippines….i love your portion of teaching how to cook an korean food,i’m a big fan of korean food and i realy realy love it so much!i have a big favor to you can teach use how to cook a KOREAN BBQ EEL?its a big pleasure to be part of your website.THANK you and GOD BLEES you and your family….

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 5th, 2008 at 9:38 pm | # |

GuamGirl
    Now you can make green onion salad (pajeori:파절이) and ssamjang (쌈장), you will be able to enjoy grilled beef, pork, etc. You can replace beef with sliced pork belly. It’s called “samgyupsal gui” (삼겹살 구이).
    Thank you for letting me know about your successful Korean cooking.

10. GuamGirl
    Posted October 5th, 2008 at 3:06 pm | # |

Maangchi,

I just finished eating dinner… I made the grilled beef with the ssam Jaang and green onion salad. It was awesome! My husband is trying to stay away from red meat, but he ate half of the beef!!! And he doesn’t like onions, but he finished my green onion salad! We’re from Guam, so we’re used to picking up freshly made kimbap in the morning at the local stores or stopping by food courts and grabbing a 3-choice plate of spicy squid, chap chae, and korean bbq chicken–just to name a few! I’ve tried so many online recipes, but they never tasted as good as the food back home… But thank God I found you! I already made the spicy stir-fried squid (my favorite Korean dish) and the grilled beef! Awesome! Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes! I’m looking forward to more of your videos! Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your culture with all of us!

GuamGirl in Germany ^_^

11. Ahn Farr
    Posted September 11th, 2008 at 5:12 pm | # |

Dear Maangchi,

I am surprised during all my research online looking for Korean recipes and purchasing books on Korean cooking, I came across your recipes on a Youtube link. What a blessing! I have watched a few of your shows and love them!!

When I was growing up, my Korean mother had me focusing on other areas of learning and felt she had plenty of time to show me how to cook Korean food later. She was a wonderful cook and passed away at an early age. From that time, I was dependent on Korean restaurants, stores with ready made foods, and on my own memories of how she prepared and cooked our meals.

Yes, I was raised in the US. My mom married an American and brought us to the United States. I have learned a lot of recipes since my mother’s passing, yet it was mostly from reading cook books. Because there were few Korean living here during the time I arrive, my mother was influenced that I need to learn to speak only English because this was going to be my new home. That was a sad decision because I was mostly raised on Korean foods. And many Koreans have relocated to live in the US later. To make a long story short, I didn’t have anyone that I could really communicate well enough in Korean to ask questions concerning how to cook or prepare certain foods I no longer had prepared for me.

Your videos are wonderful and I appreciate that you allow those who view it to respond to you if something is not clear. Your videos are so helpful along with your written recipes on how to prepare and cook Korean foods. I’m now 53 years of age and am so excited that I finally have someone to show me and tell me how to make the recipes that I don’t know and yearn for.

Thank you so much for sharing that gift to others. I am so grateful that you enjoy cooking and teaching others how Korean foods are made. I’m looking forward to making and tasting your recipes. You make them so much easier than what I tried to grasp in some of the cook books. I can see how you prepare the foods, what the list of ingredients are and what tools you use to cook them in and a sense of timing. You have brought my interest and learning to a whole new level!!

Your new fan,

Ahn Farr

12. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 21st, 2008 at 10:41 pm | # |

Jodi,
    yes, spicy samgyupsal recipe will be posted later. It’s called “doeji gogi bokkeum” or “je yook bokkeum”.
    Thank you for your interest in my recipes!

13. Jodi
    Posted August 21st, 2008 at 3:01 pm | # |

You’re recipes are amazing! I’m a Korean American Adoptee who has been to Korea twice and have always wanted to learn how to cook Korean food – it’s so hard since I grew up without a a Korean community to teach me and I am so grateful that I found your website! Your videos are so helpful! I love your ssamchang recipe! It’s so much better than the stuff I have been buying in the jars. Do you have a recipe for spicy samgyupsal? It’s the one food I’ve been craving since the last time I was in Korea and I would love to make it for my friends…

14. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted July 10th, 2008 at 12:03 pm | # |

Hi,TC,
    The song was sung by Pearl Sisters in 1970s and title of the song is “싫어(si ruh)”,which means “I don’t like it”. : )

check this out http://music.imbc.com/RetrieveAlbumInfo.aspx?albumID=5000

15. Anonymous
    Posted July 9th, 2008 at 12:57 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi… i have a question that’s not cooking related, but i REALLY liked that song you used in the Grilled Beef Video.
    Can you tell me the Group & song title?
    you have really great taste in music, i notice it all the time in your videos!
    Thank you Sooo Much!
    TC

• johnnyrock joined 3/10
      Posted March 19th, 2010 at 7:19 pm | # |

I spent a year in Korea and fell in love with the food. Thanks for the recipes! I also fell in love with the Korean music from the 70’s. Anyone who is interested in this music can read my new blog at rockkorea.blogspot.com

John

Posted March 21st, 2010 at 1:39 am | # |

Welcome to my website, John! You have a nice blog!