Grilled beef

Soegogi-gui 쇠고기구이

Korean style grilled beef is served with green onion salad, a mixture of bean paste and hot pepper paste called “Ssam Jaang”. You wrap it all up into a leaf of lettuce and pop it into your mouth. You can dip some pieces of cucumber and carrot into the spicy paste.

1. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces, ½ inch in thickness, and put them in a bowl. Add 1 ts of salt, a pinch of ground black pepper, and 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it with your hand. Set it aside when you’re done.
  2. Make ssam Jaang (dipping sauce) by mixing the following ingredients: 1tbs of hot pepper paste, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs of chopped green onion, 1 tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
    That’s it! You made a very nice dipping sauce!
  3. Make seasoned green onion (“pajuhri”)
    1. Slice 8 green onions thinly, in 5 cm lengths. Cut them into thin strips
    2. Rinse the sliced green onion in running water. Drain it and set it aside.
    3. Make sauce by mixing 2 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame seeds, and 1 tbs of sesame oil.
    4. Add the green onions to the sauce and mix it up with a spoon.

Are you ready to cook?

1. Slice up a dozen of cloves garlic (each clove should be sliced 3 or 4 times) and place them in a small bowl.
  2. Cut carrots and cucumbers into bite-sized sticks for dipping.
  3. On a heated grill or pan, drizzle some sesame oil to prevent meat from sticking onto the grill and to give it good flavor.
  4. Add chunks of meat and sliced garlic using your tongs and cook.
    grilled beef
  5. When it’s cooked, wrap a piece of beef and garlic in a leaf lettuce. Add some dipping sauce and pop it into your mouth. All you can do is chewing and enjoying the delicious taste! Don’t forget to think about me while enjoying the food!

*tip: Beef can be replaced with thinly sliced pork belly which is called “samgyupsal gui”

1. viviany joined 6/10
    Posted June 30th, 2010 at 3:30 pm | # |

can I know where you get the grill pan? It looks cast iron pan to me? Does it have two parts. One part for collecting oil? I am looking for a korean barbecue pan now. Is it good? THank you for sharing your wonderful recipe with us. I love korean food.

2. koreanfoodfan32 joined 5/10
    Posted June 14th, 2010 at 9:24 pm | # |

Can i use chicken instead of beef? Thanks!

Posted June 14th, 2010 at 10:31 pm | # |

I would marinate chicken before grilling.

3. imenonelse joined 2/10
    Posted February 2nd, 2010 at 4:00 am | # |

hello! i found your site because i am looking to see what i can use ssamjang (haechandle’s “sagyegeol ssamjang”) for.
    in english it says it is “seasoned soybean paste” and i was told by the person who gave it to me it is like miso, but from what i’ve read i’m not so sure about it… i’m a little confused on what exactly it is (i know it’s soybean paste and red pepper paste right?) and what i can use it for. thanks!!

Posted June 14th, 2010 at 10:34 pm | # |

hi, ssamjang is mixture of soybean paste(miso) and hot pepper paste. Homemade ssamjang is much better by the way. I posted the recipe on this page. I’m copying and pasting it for you here.
      “Make ssam Jaang (dipping sauce) by mixing the following ingredients: 1tbs of hot pepper paste, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs of chopped green onion, 1 tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
      That’s it! You made a very nice dipping sauce!”

4. Cecily
    Posted January 1st, 2010 at 12:25 pm | # |

Hello there, I love korean food..Im so excited to ake some of your dishes.my grandmother is korean and I remember always asking her for some of the same dishes. But I thought you should know that my dad is the one who told me to look up your website because you ave some of the best food. So here i am. Im oing to e cooking for my “new Mexico” family who are used to green chilie and different kinds of spice’s of that nature..so im excited to introduce them into my korean heritage.

• Cecily
      Posted January 1st, 2010 at 12:40 pm | # |

one more thing..how many people does 1 lbs of beef serve? Im Cooking for 4 people including myself. But my bulgolgi is going in my bibimap.everyone else is eating it with sides..?

Posted January 2nd, 2010 at 3:44 am | # |

2-3 pounds will be ok for 4 servings.

5. Amy
    Posted December 29th, 2009 at 11:13 pm | # |

I love Korean foods so much, I’ve been cooking these Korean foods since I found your videos on Youtube…
    I live on Yonge St., I’m used to shopping at the Korean market nearby my house… Those ingredients’ pictures you have posted are very helpful for me to look for it in the market… :)
    I wish I could meet you somedays…
    Thanks alot for your hardworks…

Posted December 30th, 2009 at 12:40 am | # |

wow, we could have run into each other! Yes, I want to meet you, too! Happy New Year!

6. jummy
    Posted October 4th, 2009 at 11:56 am | # |

hi Maangchi!
    I really enjoy your videos and recipes, thank you so much for all the information! I wanted to ask you about a kind of dukk (rice cake) that’s cut into very thin square slices. We had it at a restaurant in LA. It’s used like lettuce to wrap the meat and eat directly. I was wondering what it looks like in the store – is it already cut square? Should I boil/cook it before eating?
    Thank you in advance!

7. D
    Posted August 11th, 2009 at 11:53 am | # |

I just made the sauce for the seasoned green onion and it is really good! I’m using the sauce for a mixture of romaine lettuce, green onion, and finely shredded carrots. I ate this salad at a Korean restaurant the other day and is searching for the recipe. Out of 3 recipes I fouund, your recipe is the one I followed. The other recipes had minced garlic and the ratio of soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar was way off your recipe, plus water is added to the dressing. I don’t remember tasting any garlic when I ate the salad at the restaurant. The sauce taste so good that I can probably just eat sauce and rice byitself…or even with noodles. Thanks for your post.

Posted August 12th, 2009 at 9:03 am | # |

yes, you are right! You can use this sauce for cucumber, too! Slice cucumber and mix it with this sauce right before serving.

• D
        Posted August 16th, 2009 at 9:32 am | # |

Even though I loved the sauce for the seasoned green onions and thought this tasted just like the salad dressing used for their green lettuce and green onion salad, it was not the same after a taste comparison. Their dressing is lighter in color and more thinner in consistency. It seemed to coat all the leaves of the lettuce and tasted salty and not too spicy at the same time. Do you know what I am talking about…if you do, what do you suppose is in it?

8. TORONTO ADMIRER
    Posted August 9th, 2009 at 1:23 am | # |

HI Maangchi,
    I’ve watched almost all your videos and every time I do I have the sudden urge to go to Galleria Supermarket and get the ingredients! Galleria has all of the ingredients so far that you mentioned! I’ve seen posts of people where they can’t get some of the food that you’ve said. I am soo lucky!!! I love Korean food and I’m so glad that you are helping so many people like me that don’t know how to cook it. Thanks so much for your videos and please make more!!

Posted August 9th, 2009 at 8:13 pm | # |

oh, my! I hope all of my Torontonian readers should read your comment!

9. Balazs
    Posted July 22nd, 2009 at 1:47 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi,
    I write from Hungary,Budapest and just want to say that i followed you in your sogogi gui recepie when i invited my friends yesterday.It was amazing dinner.Kamsa Hamnida!!!!:)
    I can say that I’m professional in pulgogi and kimchi….also followed your videos….many many thanks for this to you:)))

10. LW
    Posted July 7th, 2009 at 3:37 pm | # |

Thanks for your wonderful recipes, I’ve tried several now. I am planning to do Korean beef bbq for my husband’s birthday next week, and was wondering if you have any suggestions for 1 or 2 side dishes that go well with bbq besides the green onion salad?
    Also, we’re not good at eating spicy food–is there a good replacement for the dipping sauce on this recipe?
    Thanks!

11. josh
    Posted July 1st, 2009 at 8:54 pm | # |

annyeong maanchi
    i’m gonna make this tonight for dinner :]
    ill send you some pics later ^^

and doesn’t 싫어 mean “i dont want to”?
    aha
    well i want to eat this as soon as possible so bye lol.

Posted July 2nd, 2009 at 9:32 am | # |

Yes, “싫어” means “I don’t like it”
      Sure, send me some photos! : ) Thank you!

12. Malie
    Posted June 4th, 2009 at 4:46 pm | # |

Hi,
    LOVE your videos! So simple and easy. My interest in Korean food started from Korean Dramas…how the actresses and actors make the food seem so good. Jja Jang Myun is my very first experiment and I’ve been cooking it once in a while. I LOVE the potato flavor and texture! I’m thinking about trying this recipe. I’m curious if your grill gives off a different flavor to the meat or not? Because I’m thinking about using a griddle. And also, what kind of lettuce are you using? It looks like a napa cabbage, but greener and the stems seem lighter or thinner.

Posted June 5th, 2009 at 7:38 am | # |

Griddle is ok. no, it’s not napa cabbage. It’s romaine lettuce, but you can use any kinds of lettuce.

• Malie
        Posted June 14th, 2009 at 1:16 pm | # |

MUCH THANKS for sharing Korean food and culture with us! I LOVE learning about other cultures, especially if it’s about food!…I LOVE to cook, but don’t use and know much about many things(ingredients). I just basically use things that I’m familiar with, unless if I find recipes that interests me, especially something I think my family would like…MUCH THANKS again for your easy recipes!

13. jen
    Posted May 11th, 2009 at 11:23 am | # |

could u give me a recipie that is fairly popular in north korea that looks apitizing and tastes great too?

14. heide
    Posted April 21st, 2009 at 9:56 pm | # |

i love how u cook and interpret different ways of cooking!! Iam going to cook the grilled beef recipe tonight!!!

Posted April 21st, 2009 at 11:18 pm | # |

hope you enjoyed your delicious dinner!

15. ricky
    Posted April 12th, 2009 at 12:12 am | # |

Hi! I love your videos. You’re so cute and funny. I live in Korea now and I always check out your website when I need help with a recipe.
    I have a couple questions.
    I’m really busy during the week so I would like to cook a lot of food (mostly side dishes) on Sundays. What are some side dishes that will keep well in the fridge for 4-5 days?
    Also, do you have a recipe for minari with gochugang. I’ve tried making it but it never comes out quite right.