Sweet pancakes with brown sugar syrup filling

Hotteok 호떡

Hotteok is a flour dough pancake filled with sugar syrup inside. It’s one of the most popular street snacks in Korea.

Ok, now it’s time for me to release my hotteok recipe!

I used to make hotteok for my children. How often? So many times! When they came home from school, I would surprise them with my hotteok. I never made it before they came. I prepared some well-fermented dough and the brown sugar mixture. That’s all! Once they entered the home, I said, “Wash your hands and come back to the kitchen! Hotteok will be ready~” with big smile.  My children were so happy and excited!

A glass of milk and hot hot hotteok with sizzling golden syrup! Wouldn’t you like it? Yes, children love it! If you want to entertain your children, wait for them with the preparation just as I did.

I make hotteok for myself and my friends these days. Where are my little children!!

I sometimes miss the old times. They are already grownups and live far away from me.

Serve or eat hotteok right after you make it. If someone gives me cold hotteok, I will feel insulted. : )  I will refuse to eat it and save my empty stomach for kimchi and rice! lol

Flour, water, dry yeast, salt, vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon powder.

Make hotteok dough:

1. Place 1 cup of lukewarm water into a mixing bowl.
  2. Add 2 tbs white sugar, 2 ts yeast, ½ ts salt, 1 tbs vegetable oil, and stir it well.
  3. Add 2 cups of all purpose flour and mix it with a rice scoop, or by hand.
  4. Let the dough rise. It should sit with the lid closed at room temperature for 1 hour.
  5. After an hour the dough will rise to double its size. Knead it to remove the gas bubbles in the dough.
  6. Let it rise for another 10-20 minutes.

Make filling (for 8 hotteok):

1. Mix ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ts cinnamon powder, and 2 tbs chopped walnuts in a bowl.
    *tip: you could use mozzarella cheese for stuffing. Invent your own fillings with your favorite ingredients!

Let’s make hotteok!

1. Knead the dough again to remove the gas bubbles.
  2. Place and spread about ½ cup flour on your cutting board.
  3. Put the dough on your cutting board and knead it. Make it into a lump, and cut it into 8 equal-sized balls.

4. Take 1 dough ball, flatten it, put some filling in the center of the dough, and then seal it to make a ball.
  5. Repeat this 8 times to make 8 stuffed balls.
    *tip: Use some flour from the cutting board to prevent your fingers from sticking to the dough
  6. Heat up your non-stick pan over medium heat and add some vegetable oil.
  7. Place 1 ball on the pan and let it cook for 30 seconds.
  8. When the bottom of the dough ball is light golden brown, turn it over and press the dough with a spatula to make a thin and wide circle (about the size of a CD).
  9. Let it cook about 1 minute until the bottom is golden brown.
  10. Turn it over again and turn down the heat very low.
  11. Place the lid on the pan and cook 1 more minute. The brown sugar filling mixture will be melted to syrup!hotteok (호떡)

Serve hot!

1. docpark US joined 5/10
    Posted January 2nd, 2012 at 10:14 am | # |

Just made it for a group of people instead of pancakes. It was overall much easier to make with this recipe, which is my favorite. Picture attached. Thank you!

Posted January 3rd, 2012 at 10:24 am | # |

I’m so happy to hear that the recipe was very easy for you. It looks very fluffy!

2. honeyb Thailand joined 12/11
    Posted December 29th, 2011 at 12:14 pm | # |

I tried this recipe and also tried to make it from the instant 호떡 package and it was different though. Could you suggest how I could add anything to make it more chewy and sticky? The one I made from this recipe wasn’t as sticky as the instant one though. Should I add some sweet rice flour? Thank you.

Posted January 3rd, 2012 at 10:20 am | # |

yes, some people use sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour) to make it more chewy.

3. sorfina11 jeddah joined 12/11
    Posted December 19th, 2011 at 3:15 am | # |

How ahead of time can i prepare this. I want to get everything ready at night, and just need fry it for breakfast. Can i do that?

Posted December 19th, 2011 at 10:40 am | # |

Yes, you can keep the dough in the fridge for a couple of days. Good luck with making delicious hoddeok! : )

4. YeonAh Montreal, Québec joined 5/11
    Posted December 9th, 2011 at 11:19 am | # |

Hi Maangchi! :) I want to make these for my dad to surprise him when he comes home, but he’s badly allergic to all types of nuts including walnuts. Can you suggest other yummy types of filling I can make for him? I peeked through other comments to see what others were making but I saw mostly fillings with nuts :( Thank you for all the delicious recipes! If you ever come to Canada on your Gapshida tour I will go visit the recording!

Posted December 9th, 2011 at 11:54 am | # |

“he’s badly allergic to all types of nuts including walnuts” no problem! Skip nuts, it will still be delicious. Use mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Or you can experiment your own filling for hoddeok.

• kimchi-saranghe WA joined 2/12
      Posted March 29th, 2012 at 2:06 pm | # |

im allergic too, so i use fruit… i’ve used banana and apples.. the banan finiling is a bit mushy, but the apple filling is really yummy the apple cooks a bit but it still has some crunch to it! ^^ i hope this helps you! happy cooking !

5. jocelynejjj NYC joined 11/11
    Posted November 27th, 2011 at 9:09 pm | # |

I made this and it turned out pretty good. I used crushed almonds and roasted sesame seeds for the filling. I had to add some flour because it was too wet and practically unworkable.

6. chef Benedict Manila, Philippines joined 11/11
    Posted November 21st, 2011 at 2:07 am | # |

i love hoddeok… i would make some variations out of it… can it be? i want to put strawberry jam, blueberry jam or mango jam and i guess nutella or dulce de leche (cooked condensed milk),

Posted December 9th, 2011 at 12:09 pm | # |

All sounds great to me. Check out the photos of hoddeok on the right on this page which are made by my other readers. You will see some of their hoddeok was made with their own filling variations. Great!

7. anhvo Minnesota joined 10/11
    Posted November 19th, 2011 at 12:05 pm | # |

Can i use regular syrup instead of brown sugar ? and can i skip cinnamon powder because I don’t like it ?

Posted November 19th, 2011 at 6:35 pm | # |

Yes you can skip cinnamon powder but you will have to use sugar.

8. Oi-Chan Canada joined 6/10
    Posted November 17th, 2011 at 10:05 pm | # |

I wanted to make some of this for my friends but even though I covered the dough for an hour it barely rose >: is it still ok to use?

9. JG1 U.S.A. joined 12/08
    Posted November 15th, 2011 at 9:14 pm | # |

I made these tonight and they came out wonderfully! My kids loved them and so did I. They are so much better than the store bought frozen ones. I will never buy the frozen ones again! Delicious! Thankyou Maangchi!

Posted November 18th, 2011 at 9:32 am | # |

yay! I’m so happy to hear that your children loved your hoddeok! : )

10. helenzella joined 8/10
    Posted November 6th, 2011 at 10:23 am | # |

Finally! i made my first batch of hoddeok tonight…and the family just loved it! it won’t be my first..i’m definitely going to make it again. thanks for the recipe, Maangchi!

11. nanasse Amsterdam - Paris joined 10/11
    Posted October 11th, 2011 at 3:23 pm | # |

I definitely have to try this recipe!
    With sweet red beans it should be delicious ♥

12. pencilart92 Charleston joined 10/11
    Posted October 8th, 2011 at 9:54 am | # |

how would increasing the serving size affect the rise time for the flour?

like if I double everything, would it take 2 hours to rise instead of 1?

13. hancooking New York, NY joined 10/11
    Posted October 5th, 2011 at 2:34 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi! i love your blog. I’m a korean american trying to learn how to make authentic korean food for my new husband. I can’t believe i just came upon your blog now!
    I had two questions about the hoddeok recipe. My dough didn’t turn out as wet as yours (based on the picture) but it still seems to be rising. Is that ok? Also, can i prepare the dough in advance? I want to feed my husband hoddeok when it’s piping hot but don’t have the time to wait for the dough to rise. Thanks so much!

Posted October 6th, 2011 at 5:37 am | # |

Thank you! My answers are here:
      “My dough didn’t turn out as wet as yours (based on the picture) but it still seems to be rising. Is that ok?”
      yes, it’s ok. Follow the exact ratio, the dough is supposed to be very wet. However yours turned out good. I’m happy for you.

” can i prepare the dough in advance”
      Yes, put the dough in a plastic bag and keep in the fridge. It will be ok up to 3-4 days.

Good luck with your hoddeok making! : )

14. asiuladob Warsaw joined 9/11
    Posted September 21st, 2011 at 4:40 pm | # |

안녕하세요:)
    Today I finally found the time to try to make 호떡. It was my first Korean food I’ve made (ok, I don’t count my own variation of 참치 김치볶음밥). I must said it’s quite simple to make, the worst thing is sticky dough but the final result is unbelievable. I love them and my family as well. Thank you for your hard work. 감사합니다:)

Posted October 6th, 2011 at 5:35 am | # |

hoddeok and tuna kimchi stir- fried rice! It sounds fantastic! : )

15. Elena Australia joined 8/11
    Posted September 6th, 2011 at 4:11 am | # |

Maangchi!:)
    I tried this recipe and absolutely loved it!!but one question,
    Is the texture of the pancake supposed to be hard and chewy?I pressed mine on the pan really hard so it was quite thin!biting the pancake was tiring but it tasted good .haha

Posted September 7th, 2011 at 6:53 am | # |

hmm, the texture should be fluffy and a little chewy but not hard.

16. Urahara Canada joined 8/11
    Posted August 29th, 2011 at 9:18 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi!
    I just made Hoddeok for my friends and they are absolutely loving it! I’ve made 4 recipes tonight so far as a test, because I want to cook a korean meal for my mother in law… I made chamchijeon, hobakjeon and musaengchae, with hoddeok as a dessert and right now everything is voted a big big yes!
    Thank you so much for your hard work!

Posted August 30th, 2011 at 10:04 am | # |

wow good news! I feel you are going to be busy cooking Korean food from now!

17. McRobbah USA joined 8/11
    Posted August 24th, 2011 at 6:36 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi! I just attempted your hoddeok recipe hoping to surprise my Korean wife & our kids. However my dough was way too wet. I followed your recipe with one exception that I added an extra cup of flour to try & dry it out a bit. I think my mistake was maybe in not mixing the yeast mixture & flour long enough. Could you please tell me approximately how long I should mix the yeast mixture & flour together?

I’d love to get these perfect. My wife makes delicious Korean food, thanks to her Oma, so I don’t miss too much Korean food. She just won’t make hoddeok & I think it’s too expensive to buy at Hmart, since it seems easy to make.

Thanks in advance!

Posted August 24th, 2011 at 9:16 pm | # |

The ratio of all ingredients are very important for making good hoddeok. If you follow the exact measurements in the video, it won’t be a problem. The rising time may differ depending on your room temperature. Good luck!

• Jasper Philippines joined 5/11
      Posted December 29th, 2011 at 10:01 am | # |

i think it’s normal that the dough should be wet. I had the same problem at first, and I couldn’t work with the dough. The trick is to sprinkle lots of flour on the outer part of the “dough ball” . That way, the inner part is still wet and sticky, but the outer part is all floury, non-sticky and workable.

18. Misstongshil Wash., D.C. Metro area joined 8/11
    Posted August 14th, 2011 at 12:33 pm | # |

teehee, I made my first Maangchi recipes yesterday! Dakjuk and hoddeok (secret surprise dessert! :D)

Umma (mom) & Appa (dad) were totally quiet minus the yummy slurpy sounds! “jaedero dwaetnae~!” (turned out right!) :D

and then Appa was “food coma” mode in front of the tv with a random National Geographic show on… *sniff sniff* … what’s this… MMM SWEET SUGARY SMELLL~~ … UH OH… he turn’s into something between a child with a sugar craving and a bear!

Sleepy Dad (SD)- what are you making now?
    Me: Hoddeok..?
    SD: ME TOO ME TOO! *crunchcrunch.. HOTHOT… mm…slurp…nomnomm*
    Me: you move fast when you wanna, eh? :)

Posted August 14th, 2011 at 1:20 pm | # |

teehee! ^^ Happy cooking!

19. Chingoonyugyu Denmark joined 7/11
    Posted July 21st, 2011 at 10:37 am | # |

This question might be a little foolish but is it allowed to use regular yeast or is it obligatory to use the dry yeast? :)

Posted August 14th, 2011 at 1:25 pm | # |

You can use any type of yeast but the rising time may be different.

20. MrsKorea Montreal joined 7/11
    Posted July 19th, 2011 at 1:15 pm | # |

I left Korea when I was really little and now I am a proud mom to a baby boy. I remember eating these and my mom would tell me I couldnt have anymore then 3 and I would get upset. I made them over and over again and they are so goood. Thank you so much for bringing back my childhood memories and flavour!!

Posted August 14th, 2011 at 1:27 pm | # |

“I couldnt have anymore then 3..” : ) Uh oh! hoddeok! Good memories!

21. Noah Lithuania joined 6/11
    Posted June 29th, 2011 at 3:18 pm | # |

I just served this to my sister and her friend with some vanilla ice-cream and strawberries it was soooooooo tasty and sweet :)
    but the brown sugar sold in my country is very coarse… so it didn’t melt well :(
    it was crunchy :D nevertheless I really loved’em.
    oh and I made the soy bean sprout side dish, it was so delicious and it went well with the steaks I made :)
    Thank you so much for these wonderful recipes. They’re very easy to follow and awesome to taste
    Noah

Posted June 30th, 2011 at 10:42 am | # |

” vanilla ice-cream and strawberries”
      sounds great!

“.. so it didn’t melt well”
      then cook it over very low heat and if possible, close the lid of the pan. The filling will be melted.

“I made the soy bean sprout side dish, it was so delicious and it went well with the steaks I made”
      Agree with u!

22. kurokokoro Phoenix, Arizona joined 3/10
    Posted June 25th, 2011 at 2:29 pm | # |

I made this recipe a while ago and I LOVED it!!! I wouldn’t share with anyone. I plan on making them again when my sweet tooth is calling. Thanks for the great recipe! I love the show!!!!

Posted June 25th, 2011 at 9:18 pm | # |

haha, when your sweet tooth is calling! : )

23. Parasite8 Canada joined 6/11
    Posted June 19th, 2011 at 11:01 pm | # |

This is awesome!!! I’ve been looking for this recipe since I visited Korea over 10 yrs ago. It was my favorite food!! I was only able to find package version but prefer to make it from scratch. Thank you. Now that I’ve discovered your site, I’m going to look for the Korean buns (I think it uses Mochi flour)

Posted June 25th, 2011 at 9:19 pm | # |

.”.prefer to make it from scratch…” I agree with u!

24. pammy north carolina, united states joined 6/11
    Posted June 17th, 2011 at 11:51 am | # |

thank you so much for this recipe! :D Both my korean and american friends love it when I make this for them. ^^

25. Cotton Candy Lover Singapore joined 6/11
    Posted June 14th, 2011 at 11:21 am | # |

Hey Maangchi and Everyone,

When I saw “invent your own fillings with your favorite ingredients!”, I decided to try using Gula Malaka (Palm Sugar) for the filling and it turned out super duber nice!! Ate just one tonight, the leftover will be my breakfast tomorrow.. ((:

Posted June 15th, 2011 at 9:59 am | # |

Congratulations! Palm sugar sounds great!

26. leo malaysia joined 6/11
    Posted June 8th, 2011 at 12:40 am | # |

i dont have cinnamon powder.it is ok not using it??

Posted June 8th, 2011 at 7:58 am | # |

yes, you can skip it. It will still be delicious!

27. Drew North Carolina joined 6/11
    Posted June 7th, 2011 at 10:55 am | # |

These were fun to make although I pressed the sugar in too hard on my first one and ended up with a cinnamon and sugar ball. Once I got the hang of it, the rest were easy. My vegetarian daughter had me make some with cooked broccoli and cheese and they turned out great.

Posted June 8th, 2011 at 8:00 am | # |

Broccoli and cheese filling for hoddeok? Sounds good! : )

28. Charmaine Singapore joined 6/11
    Posted June 4th, 2011 at 11:04 am | # |

Hello. Erm, is it alright to use raising flour to make the dough?

Posted June 4th, 2011 at 11:12 am | # |

Use all purpose flour with yeast, please.

29. AngelFrances Malaysia joined 5/11
    Posted May 19th, 2011 at 9:52 am | # |

I tried your Hoddeoks and its wonderba. The filling just melt in my mouth and sweet sweet sweet !!!! and yummmy !!! I ate two pieces right on and my stomach is so happy with it. ^o^ Just forget the diet. Thanks for sharing the great simple recipe. Muuuaacchhh !!!

Posted May 19th, 2011 at 12:10 pm | # |

Great news! uh oh! hoddeok! : )

30. aobaob Lincoln, NE joined 4/11
    Posted April 23rd, 2011 at 11:45 pm | # |

I had tried to make all kind of bread dough countless time in the past. It didn’t turned out right. I wasn’t sure why. So, I didn’t expect my dough to turn out any good this time. But I just wanted to keep on trying…

I followed your steps… and OMG, my dough was fabulous!! I stuffed it with my left over baked chicken and cheese… it was really good. I loved it! Thank you so much!

31. mokpochica Michigan joined 1/09
    Posted April 18th, 2011 at 9:36 pm | # |

I made these together with my daughters today after watching your video. They were very impressed with the video and said 3 times “She is very smart”. Since they turned 4 they have become more and more interested in helping out in the kitchen. It’s very cute. And they make great observations. Today when we were making the dough for hoddeok, one of the girls said, “It smells like 빵!” I was glad we watched the video today because I didn’t have any walnuts at home, but you suggested sesame seeds and I love them that way. Delicious!

Posted May 19th, 2011 at 12:12 pm | # |

Your 4 year old child’s comment about me makes me so happy! ppang! That’s true because of the yeast in the dough, it smells like bread! : )

32. JamieF New Zealand joined 1/11
    Posted April 15th, 2011 at 11:12 pm | # |

I just made these – they are super easy to make and so delicious! The cinnamon goes so well with walnuts!

33. motzmart New York City, New York joined 2/11
    Posted April 15th, 2011 at 5:17 pm | # |

hi…. i am here again…. i made my Hoddeok filling with msahed bananas, brown sugar & a sprinkle of cinnamon…. like it…. it is actually better to cook it at low heat with lid for the insides to cook better coz sometimes when i make this recipe, the inside is still kinda doughy….
    (**hard to flattened with some banana filling in it) and of course you need to watch over it…. a few times i get the other side perfectly cooked and once i flip it i tend to forget about it… then the other side burnt… anyways eating it is the best part… love the gooey-ness of the banana & brown sugar & a kick of cinnamon.. haha… thanks for sharing this recipe… i keep on experiment unusual more fillings.. i might try more fruits and share pics here..

34. lindsey.kim joined 6/10
    Posted April 14th, 2011 at 11:54 am | # |

I’ve made mine with chocolate chips and marshmallows…DELICIOUS!

Posted April 15th, 2011 at 10:08 am | # |

ooh~ yummy yummy! Chocolate marshmallow filling melted in the pancake sounds awesome!

35. aroco017 joined 3/11
    Posted April 10th, 2011 at 11:24 am | # |

Dear Maangchi,

I absolutely love hoddeok, I treat myself to it every once in a while when I am walking around. I decided to try to make it myself! Thanks again for the wonderful recipe. Feel free to check out my attempt, http://farmeggs.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/hoddeok-sweet-pancake-with-a-brown-sugar-and-peanut-filling/

Have a great day,
    Anna

Posted April 15th, 2011 at 10:04 am | # |

Anna, your hoddeok looks very delicious! It’s not greasy at all! I love it!

36. motzmart New York City, New York joined 2/11
    Posted April 3rd, 2011 at 12:04 pm | # |

i just made this awhile ago…. love it… super tasty… i was thinking that i made a mistake but after cooking it…. YummmM!!! i didn’t any cinnamon or walnuts… just brown sugar.. but i know it’ll taste better if it has cinnamon in it… :0 thank you thank you for the recipes… i might start making baechu kimchi tomorrow… hope it’ll be a success…. and also kaktugi…. :)

37. Ikkin-bot edmonton joined 9/10
    Posted April 2nd, 2011 at 1:53 pm | # |

I just made Hoddeok again, but I switched up the filling and used lotus seed paste! It was great. Not as good as the original, but very good.

Adventure: http://ikkin-bot.blogspot.com/2011/04/cooking-korean-redue-hoddeok-kinda.html

38. maggs UK joined 1/11
    Posted March 8th, 2011 at 4:54 pm | # |

Today was pancake day so i decided to make these instead of my usual pancakes!
    I had to make them with gluten free flour as my friend has coeliacs and i found the dough a little sticky for the filling but i managed to make them.

They tasted really good and not too sweet, just right.
    Thanks for another really easy but tasty recipe

39. nikujaga Singapore joined 2/11
    Posted March 7th, 2011 at 10:53 pm | # |

Hey Maangchi!! I’ve tried your hoddeok recipe again and I’m back here to share the joy of my success!! This is my second attempt and god, it sure is awesome! I’ve found out what went wrong thanks to BxlSprout and Reinier :D I used instant yeast instead of dry yeast and through google, I find that less of instant yeast is to be used as compared to dry yeast, and there’s no need for warm water :D
    the hoddeok dough is chewy and there’s a very fragrant prata taste to it haha!! (look up roti prata if you haven’t tried one, it’s as sinful as it’s yummy) On top of the cheese and traditional filling, I’ve made one with nutella (as suggested by one of the comments in your youtube video). They’re all delicious and I’m now bloated from eating 3 of them! Thanks a lot Maangchi, for sharing such a great Korean recipe with us :)

Rene

Posted March 8th, 2011 at 6:25 am | # |

Rene,
      ” I’ve made one with nutella (as suggested by one of the comments in your youtube video). They’re all delicious and I’m now bloated from eating 3 of them! ”
      That’s awesome! : )

40. Misdommingas AK joined 2/11
    Posted February 28th, 2011 at 2:29 pm | # |

I nearly cried when I found this recipe! I remember walking with my twin sister with our mother through the markets in Seoul and eating one of these. Since coming to the US through adoption, I have never forgotten these tasty snacks that our mother always bought for us. The taste and smell brings back many good memories of my mother.

Thank you, Maangchi for this recipe!

ChaMee Ahn
    (my Korean name)

Posted February 28th, 2011 at 3:13 pm | # |

ChaMee, nice meeting you through my website! I’m so touched by your story that it makes me cry now! Your mom would be proud of you if she knew you were making your own hoddeok and thinking about her.

• Misdommingas AK joined 2/11
        Posted March 3rd, 2011 at 7:33 pm | # |

Thank you, Maangchi! Maybe one day, I will be able to make hoddeoks for her too. :)

I brought hot Hoddeok’s to my sister and the look on her face was priceless. My husband loves the hoddeok’s and told his parents about it in Spain. When we visit them this fall, I’ll be making hoddeok’s for his family. Thank you for all your wonderful recipes!

ChaMee