Sweet pancakes with brown sugar syrup filling

Hotteok 호떡

Hotteok is a flour dough pancake filled with sugar syrup inside. It’s one of the most popular street snacks in Korea.

Ok, now it’s time for me to release my hotteok recipe!

I used to make hotteok for my children. How often? So many times! When they came home from school, I would surprise them with my hotteok. I never made it before they came. I prepared some well-fermented dough and the brown sugar mixture. That’s all! Once they entered the home, I said, “Wash your hands and come back to the kitchen! Hotteok will be ready~” with big smile.  My children were so happy and excited!

A glass of milk and hot hot hotteok with sizzling golden syrup! Wouldn’t you like it? Yes, children love it! If you want to entertain your children, wait for them with the preparation just as I did.

I make hotteok for myself and my friends these days. Where are my little children!!

I sometimes miss the old times. They are already grownups and live far away from me.

Serve or eat hotteok right after you make it. If someone gives me cold hotteok, I will feel insulted. : )  I will refuse to eat it and save my empty stomach for kimchi and rice! lol

Flour, water, dry yeast, salt, vegetable oil, sugar, brown sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon powder.

Make hotteok dough:

1. Place 1 cup of lukewarm water into a mixing bowl.
  2. Add 2 tbs white sugar, 2 ts yeast, ½ ts salt, 1 tbs vegetable oil, and stir it well.
  3. Add 2 cups of all purpose flour and mix it with a rice scoop, or by hand.
  4. Let the dough rise. It should sit with the lid closed at room temperature for 1 hour.
  5. After an hour the dough will rise to double its size. Knead it to remove the gas bubbles in the dough.
  6. Let it rise for another 10-20 minutes.

Make filling (for 8 hotteok):

1. Mix ½ cup brown sugar, 1 ts cinnamon powder, and 2 tbs chopped walnuts in a bowl.
    *tip: you could use mozzarella cheese for stuffing. Invent your own fillings with your favorite ingredients!

Let’s make hotteok!

1. Knead the dough again to remove the gas bubbles.
  2. Place and spread about ½ cup flour on your cutting board.
  3. Put the dough on your cutting board and knead it. Make it into a lump, and cut it into 8 equal-sized balls.

4. Take 1 dough ball, flatten it, put some filling in the center of the dough, and then seal it to make a ball.
  5. Repeat this 8 times to make 8 stuffed balls.
    *tip: Use some flour from the cutting board to prevent your fingers from sticking to the dough
  6. Heat up your non-stick pan over medium heat and add some vegetable oil.
  7. Place 1 ball on the pan and let it cook for 30 seconds.
  8. When the bottom of the dough ball is light golden brown, turn it over and press the dough with a spatula to make a thin and wide circle (about the size of a CD).
  9. Let it cook about 1 minute until the bottom is golden brown.
  10. Turn it over again and turn down the heat very low.
  11. Place the lid on the pan and cook 1 more minute. The brown sugar filling mixture will be melted to syrup!hotteok (호떡)

Serve hot!

1. FelicityS UK joined 1/14
    Posted January 12th, 2014 at 11:01 am | # |

Hi Maangchi, Thank-You so much for posting this. I’m really looking forward to making this as i’ve never had it before. But i have a question, which brown sugar do you use? Because there are alot of varities in the UK and i want to be sure i use the correct one to get the right taste :) x

2. exogenesis238 New York joined 1/14
    Posted January 5th, 2014 at 10:34 am | # |

Can you leave the dough in the refrigerator overnight. And then, take the dough out and make hoddeok tomorrow morning?

Posted January 12th, 2014 at 12:09 pm | # |

yes, you can. You can keep the dough in the fridge for a couple of days.

3. Busterbud18 USA joined 12/13
    Posted December 17th, 2013 at 11:01 am | # |

Hello my mom went to Japan 2 years ago and had these wonderful syrup filled pancakes, does your filling create a syrupy taste? Because o would love to make these for her for his birthday or Christmas! If this filling doesn’t taste like syrup would it be possible to have syrup as the filling??

Posted December 17th, 2013 at 12:02 pm | # |

yes, cook it over low heat, and the sugar mixture will turn into syrup.

4. clarie91s Hong Kong joined 12/13
    Posted December 14th, 2013 at 2:52 am | # |

Hi Maangchi, the dough I made hasn’t risen, even after almost 2 hours. Does the type of yeast affect it? I used instant yeast – that’s the only type I could get. But I remember it worked the last time I made it – although it didn’t double in size, it still rose enough. What can I do to make it rise? Or should I make it again? And if so, does the water temperature affect it? Maybe the water was too warm or not warm enough?

• clarie91s Hong Kong joined 12/13
      Posted December 14th, 2013 at 9:09 am | # |

Also, my packet of yeast has been open for months in my pantry cupboard, sealed with a packet clip. Is that why my dough didn’t rise?

Posted December 14th, 2013 at 10:26 am | # |

Check expiration date of the yeast. Or you might have dissolved the yeast in very hot water. The yeast water should be warm (about 100 Farenheit: 40 Celsius). If it’s too hot, it will kill yeast so that your dough won’t rise.
      Let me know how it goes, please

5. rerambles homebase: Miami, USA Currently: Gimhae, SK joined 12/13
    Posted December 12th, 2013 at 2:24 am | # |

I currently live in South Korea and I live right by a hoddeok place where the hoddeok rises as the lady cooks them. The final result is a hoddeok in the shape of a ball with a slight crispy taste. I useless in the kitchen but I would love to know how to make this specific type of hoddeok.

6. lovex3jennyy New York joined 6/12
    Posted September 14th, 2013 at 1:37 pm | # |

I made these and they taste AWESOME…My daughter loved them too :)

7. sasori1290 Philippines joined 9/13
    Posted September 13th, 2013 at 1:12 am | # |

I substituted my “home made red bean paste” instead of the cinnamon/sugar/nuts.. ahhh.. It was also delicious.. ^_^

Posted September 13th, 2013 at 3:16 pm | # |

Sweet red bean paste sounds great!

8. tohru314 Arizona joined 8/13
    Posted August 31st, 2013 at 2:20 am | # |

I made these for the first time last night and they turned out great! I even took them to work with me and they were gone within minutes! Everyone kept asking me for the recipe! I am also surprised at how easy it was to make. :)Thank you so much Maangchi!

Posted September 1st, 2013 at 4:21 pm | # |

“I even took them to work with me and they were gone within minutes!” Great! I know how you felt when your hoddeok was so popular!

9. Wrednykot Poland joined 12/12
    Posted August 21st, 2013 at 5:05 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi :) I’m a big fan of you and hoddeok. Last time when I prepared hoddeok for my boyfriend he said that it’s very tasty but a little bit too sweet. This time he asked me to add some tahini to the filling – and i have to say that it was perfect idea, it’s less sweet and still very delicious :)
    Greatings from Poland! :)

Posted August 23rd, 2013 at 8:28 am | # |

Awesome!

• supertwins mom DC area, USA joined 1/09
        Posted January 22nd, 2014 at 11:31 pm | # |

My girls are allergic to nuts, therefore tahini was a great idea. By the way, one of my new year’s resolutions was to learn 5 new recipes. My family has been home for 6 days because of the snow. I’ve already reached goal- thanks to your website. Please, come to DC!!!

10. Boothy United Kingdom joined 8/13
    Posted August 20th, 2013 at 7:34 pm | # |

Can I use Caster sugar to make the dough?

• milgwimper joined 1/11
      Posted March 7th, 2014 at 6:19 am | # |

This is a really late reply but if you still haven’t tried it with caster sugar, please do. You will have to adjust the sugar possibly by reducing it for sweetness in the dough, but play around with it. Good luck

11. mstorm United States joined 7/13
    Posted August 16th, 2013 at 8:59 pm | # |

Could I make these and then warm them up in a toaster, or the oven, or maybe even fry them again on a low heat?

• mstorm United States joined 7/13
      Posted August 16th, 2013 at 9:05 pm | # |

And then, any tips on closing these so the filling won’t accidentally come out in the pan? Thank you for wonderful recipes 망치!

감사합니다!

12. jt7ou ny joined 7/13
    Posted July 26th, 2013 at 1:05 am | # |

hi Maangchi!!! My daughter is allergic to wheat can I use an alternate gluten free/wheat free flour and get the same results? Thanks

13. nadi malaysia joined 7/13
    Posted July 7th, 2013 at 3:42 am | # |

Maangchi, can i use super fine flour?

14. Zack Corolla East Haven, Connectitcut, United States joined 2/11
    Posted June 25th, 2013 at 7:43 pm | # |

Can I feel this with red bean paste?

15. dinnerdiarieskate baltimore joined 5/13
    Posted May 8th, 2013 at 4:49 pm | # |

This was delicious! I used pecans instead of walnuts, but otherwise made exactly as written. I fixed these for a friend who grew up in Korea and he said it took him right back to his childhood. Thanks for the great recipe–the video was very helpful, too!

16. Deboor1990 The Netherlands joined 5/13
    Posted May 5th, 2013 at 7:09 am | # |

Hey Maangchi,

This recipe looks delicious !
    I was wondering if I can also use baking soda instead of dry yeast ?

17. jennwyo Wyoming joined 1/13
    Posted March 18th, 2013 at 10:24 pm | # |

Oh my goodness these are soooooo delicious!!!! After the first time I made these my kids ask for them all the time. I have so many things that I want to try filling them with. So far I have made them with the brown sugar filling, taco, BBQ, and ground beef with chopped kimchi. They were all amazing!!!!

18. iamrhart Namhae, South Korea joined 10/12
    Posted March 7th, 2013 at 12:24 am | # |

Hi. Its me again, from Namhae :)
    Been a few weeks since i have tried a recipe. Recently went out with a co-worker and tried Korean Hoddeok. Now i will try to make it by hand. I hope it comes out good. Korean-Style tasted much like a Cinnamon-Bun (with nuts)/Crape`. ….or for an Italian, a Cinnamon-Calzone. hahaha.

Posted March 8th, 2013 at 11:39 am | # |

Hi! It’s good to hear from you again! I hope your hoddeok turned out delicious if you already made it. Happy cooking!

19. Vo Virginia joined 2/13
    Posted March 3rd, 2013 at 6:59 pm | # |

hi Maangchi,
    Can I save leftover dough in to refrigerator ???

Posted March 3rd, 2013 at 8:18 pm | # |

yes, keep it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

20. curla360 philippines joined 2/13
    Posted February 28th, 2013 at 12:35 am | # |

hi Maangchi! i made hoddeok yesterday and i cant believe its taste..so yummy. the moment my first hoddeok was cooked, i started to eat it and thought “so this is what crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside is all about”..im so proud of my self! yehey! i was able to make hoddeok after so many weeks watching your site and videos.

i texted my sisters and told them that i cook hoddeok.and now they want me to cook again whenever they come home. i have just one problem, i want to eat hoddeok again and again..ahahaha!

thank you Maangchi!

Posted February 28th, 2013 at 1:03 pm | # |

yay, I’m so proud of you, too! Crunchy and fluffy on the outside and gooey melted syrup on the inside – that’s the signature of the best hoddeok! Congratulations!

• curla360 philippines joined 2/13
        Posted March 3rd, 2013 at 11:56 pm | # |

thank you Maangchi!

and i made hoddeok yesterday and this time i use sweet potato+sugar+cinnamon+nuts for filling.it tasted so good.my mother-in-law loves it and she ate 3 hoddeok..she wasn’t able to taste my first hoddeok with traditional filling because i keep it all for myself.hehehe :)

Posted March 5th, 2013 at 8:53 am | # |

“she wasn’t able to taste my first hoddeok with traditional filling because i keep it all for myself” lol

21. krystal1000 India joined 2/13
    Posted February 4th, 2013 at 9:56 am | # |

Hey im using this as an school project. I hope i do all of it as it says!

Posted February 6th, 2013 at 11:22 am | # |

I hope your hoddeok for your school project turns out great! Let me know the result please. : )

22. salwa.7786 Malaysia joined 1/13
    Posted January 27th, 2013 at 6:52 am | # |

i experiment hoddeok recipe today..using 1 1/2cups flour and 1/2cup glutinous rice flour…hoddeok so soft n chewy but easyly have a hole…i using filling brown sugar+apple+nuts..a taste make me feel nonstop to eat…. :)

23. wsong87 OK, USA joined 1/13
    Posted January 19th, 2013 at 12:59 pm | # |

Oh my goodness, Maangchi!! This seems absolutely amazing!
    I was born in Korea and have lived there until I was 5 years old – then we moved back when I was in middle school so I went to middle school in Korea as well! Even though I spent over half of my life in the US, my mom has ALWAYS made Korean food at home until I moved out on my own when I was 18 :) I miss Korean food so much!!
    Now that I’m married and my husband is American, I’m excited to follow all of your recipes to make him lots of Korean goodies!!

By the way, 망치언니~~ 호두과자 너무너무 먹고싶어요!! 제가 한국에 살았을때 휴계소에서 많이 먹었는데.. 제발 호두과자 recipe 부탁합니다!!!

Posted January 27th, 2013 at 9:40 am | # |

Thank you for sharing your cute story! Now you can make your own Korean food! Your mother will be proud of you.

24. starfish28 South Korea joined 1/13
    Posted January 2nd, 2013 at 11:48 pm | # |

My son and I made these the other day, though we made mini ones^^ I have loved these since I first arrived in Korea and burnt my tongue on the sweet gooey deliciousness! But I have had to adapt your recipe somewhat as I have wheat allergies :(
    My son loves the original recipe with the brown sugar, also with a “pizza” type stuffing, blueberry and cream cheese stuffing and a “mexican” type stuffing. These are fantastic and I love them whatever way they are served.

Posted January 3rd, 2013 at 12:14 am | # |

“I first arrived in Korea and burnt my tongue on the sweet gooey deliciousness!” ouch! yes, the brown sugar syrup from hoddeok is very hot, so you got to be careful. : ) It sounds like you are doing a lot of hoddeok experiments. Good luck!

• brooks540 Virginia joined 9/12
      Posted June 26th, 2013 at 8:18 am | # |

Please let me know how you adapted this recipe as I am gluten-free. Thank you!

• jt7ou ny joined 7/13
      Posted July 26th, 2013 at 1:08 am | # |

how did you adjust for gluten allergy?

25. choe_annie VA joined 4/09
    Posted December 4th, 2012 at 12:49 pm | # |

I had to add a little more water to my recipe since i noticed the dough should be nice a gooey. It turned out fantastic! The first time I had hoddeok was during the winter at Lotte Plaza (grocerystore in VA) and i asked the halmoni how you make it, her answer? A laugh!

Thank you for this recipe, my kids enjoyed it.
    One thing extra I did, i ran out of sesame seeds, and had no nuts, so i added ‘chia’ seeds. Still had that same yummy crunch, i love it!

26. cokomignon Florida joined 8/12
    Posted November 15th, 2012 at 12:49 pm | # |

These were very good. They reminded me of funnel cakes that are served at the fair. I decided to dust them with a little powdered sugar after they were done cooking.

27. ea indonesia joined 10/12
    Posted October 23rd, 2012 at 3:30 am | # |

all of your recipes make me hungry,,looks so yummiee!! But may i know how many oz for 1 cup? I’m afraid it’s gonna mess if i put the wrong size,,thank you ;)

Posted October 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 am | # |

It depends on what you are measuring in the cup because a cup measures volume but ounces measure weight. I found this for you on the internet. http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/
      It says dried flour (all-purpose flour that I use in this recipe) weighs about 4.5 ounces.

• ea indonesia joined 10/12
      Posted October 24th, 2012 at 4:03 am | # |

thank you Maangchiii!!..I’ll try to make hoddeok this weekend. I hope it will success and as beautiful as yours.. ^ ^

28. Biancad78 Virginia joined 9/12
    Posted September 14th, 2012 at 12:37 am | # |

Just made these for the first time, and they were delish, however, with more consistency they could be way better. I shall be trying more of your recipes.

Posted September 14th, 2012 at 4:16 pm | # |

yeah practice makes perfect! : ) Thank you for your update!

29. Micka Oxford joined 9/12
    Posted September 12th, 2012 at 5:52 pm | # |

Dear Maangchi,

I’ve been following your videos on Youtube for quite a while now, but never had the time to make anything. But today was a rainy day, so I decided to make some hoddeok. My mother was really surprised as she saw what I was doing and almost started to cry out of happiness. She is Korean herself (which makes me half :)) and had never made hoddeok herself, but always ate them when she was going to school. So she hadn’t had them for a while and there was a big smile over her face as the melted sugar was running down her hands.

Thank you so much for your recipe and reminding my mum a bit of her youth!
    Micka :)

Posted September 14th, 2012 at 4:20 pm | # |

What a good choice for a rainy day! I can imagine your mother’s happy face even though I have never met her! Your description is awesome and touching!

30. Xiaolongimnida Hungary joined 9/12
    Posted September 8th, 2012 at 9:01 am | # |

Hello Maangchi! I just discovered your blog and all of these look so amazing. I never cooked Korean food before but I am planning on trying this recipe. Thing is I cannot eat white flour, will this recipe work with wholegrain flour? Should I change anything? Usually when baking with wholegrain flour, the dough turns out “heavier” and I am afraid it would loose this fluffiness. Any advice you can maybe give? Kamsahamnida!

31. ana lee malaysia joined 8/12
    Posted August 23rd, 2012 at 11:57 am | # |

Hye maangchi..:)
    i’ve tried making hoddeok on my own..n it turns out really well..thanks for the recipe maangchi..:)

32. baya10 Ireland joined 7/12
    Posted July 23rd, 2012 at 9:56 am | # |

I tried this yesterday and it tasted amazing – It was just like living in Korea again in my own kitchen. Thank you …

33. MiKiBri Hello joined 7/12
    Posted July 19th, 2012 at 2:55 am | # |

It’s my mother’s birthday on August 13th and we were planning to go to this Korean Buffet over in Santa Clara to eat. But we realized that it was the day before my school started so we aren’t going to be able to D:
    So to make up for it I decided to make some Korean food at home for us to eat instead! She loves the side dishes and always makes kimchi at home! She just LOVES japchae and the mung bean sprout side dish.
    I will make a bunch of food from your recipes and hopefully she will like them *^^* I made this Hoddeok for her last time and she really liked it!

Posted July 23rd, 2012 at 2:29 pm | # |

Thank you for sharing your cooking story with us! I hope all the dishes you make for your mother’s birthday turn out very delicious! Let me know how it goes.

34. janicedale Australia joined 2/12
    Posted June 5th, 2012 at 3:44 am | # |

Maangchi, that is an awesome recipe. Thanks for your recipe. I made traditional pancakes yesterday, so simple and delicious. I should say that yours is very different from ordinary pancakes that I do. I would love to try your recipe, since it is also easy to follow.

Posted June 7th, 2012 at 9:56 am | # |

Good luck with your Korean cooking!

35. themitchie HK joined 5/12
    Posted May 18th, 2012 at 9:04 am | # |

I was craving korean food so bad that i HAD TO MAKE IT! OMG ITS SOOO GOOD <3<3<3 I'm munching on it now and I rote a blog abt it XDDD come visit me :P

Thxs for the recipe again, missed heddok so bad :P

love,
    mitchie

Posted May 20th, 2012 at 11:57 pm | # |

Your blog is great and funny! “my friend screamed her lungs out cos the syrup filling squirted out and it was burning hot and spilled all over her hands and shirt” haha, Actually I love the hot drizzling syrup. I have to wait until it cools down but still I like it.
      BTW, your hoddeok looks very delicious!

36. Celica Moscow joined 5/12
    Posted May 16th, 2012 at 12:19 pm | # |

안녕하세요, Maangchi!
    My friends enjoyed hoddeok a lot! They said it tasted really amazing, and I even brought a few to my bf’s family. His parents also cheered me and said I’m doing well! Their appreciation means a lot for me :)
    감사합니다!! Best wishes from Russia :)

Posted May 16th, 2012 at 12:26 pm | # |

yeah fluffy hoddeok with hot (temperature) hot syrup filling is irresistible. Your hoddeok must have turned out great! Cheers! Happy cooking!

37. ZenMistress California joined 4/12
    Posted April 6th, 2012 at 1:01 am | # |

Oh my GAWD!! I just made this and it is AWESOME!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! There is nothing like homemade. I’ve never had hoddeok this good. Very dangerous to know how to make this. I’m exerting maximum self control and putting the rest of the dough in the fridge for tomorrow. It’s TOO GOOD. Thank you, you are wonderful. I’ve made many of your recipes, they are truly authentic and wonderful. You are a treasure. Much love to you.

Posted May 16th, 2012 at 12:27 pm | # |

“Very dangerous to know how to make this…” lol! you are right!

38. korealoveforever USA joined 1/12
    Posted April 1st, 2012 at 7:58 pm | # |

Maangchi, that is an awesome recipe, I remember eating those when we lived in Korea for few years. But my question is, can you give me the recipe for the filling with red beans? Please :). I think the ones we tried in korea were withred beans fillings

Posted April 2nd, 2012 at 11:03 am | # |

Check out my chapssalddeok recipe. You will see how to make sweet red beans in the recipe. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/chapssalddeok

• korealoveforever USA joined 1/12
        Posted April 2nd, 2012 at 11:08 pm | # |

Maangchi !!! I did it!! OMG!!!! That was soo good, even though my red bean filling was too liquid, it was still soooo absolutely wonderful! And i am a baker, I bake all the time, but these are hundred times better than my doughnuts!! Thank you again,

39. akim34 United States joined 3/12
    Posted March 24th, 2012 at 3:24 pm | # |

Can i use dry active yeast?

Posted March 24th, 2012 at 3:41 pm | # |

yes, you can but the dough may take longer to rise.

40. JordynElizabeth Ohio joined 2/12
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 4:48 pm | # |

I made this a while back. It was fantastic. To mix it up a little, rather than using the suggested filling, I used pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese as the filling. It was like pizza, and it was delicious.

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2 3 4 5