Mung bean sprout and cucumber side dish

Sukju-oi-namul 숙주오이나물

This video was made for YouTube’s NextUp program. They asked me to make something that explains my background, my goals, and what I expect to learn from the YouTube Creator’s camp. It’s supposed to be short and reflect my interests and personality, so I chose a simple and delicious mungbean sprout side dish recipe called sukjunamul.

I learned this recipe from my mom. I called her this morning in California to get some of the background behind it, or to get any interesting story relating to the dish.

I said: “Mom, my next video recipe is sukjunamul. Where did you learn this recipe? Do you have any story relating to sukjunamul?”

My  mom replied: “Oh~, sukjunamul! When I go to a Korean buffet with my friends, I always make bibimbap with sukjujanmul, mushrooms… oh such delicious and healthy food!”

I listened to her story about her buffet choice and with whom she went, but I still didn’t get the answer!

“Mom, mom… that’s not my question! Where did you learn the recipe? Do you remember?”

My mother laughed, and said: “Oh, ho ho, ho! I don’t remember. All over Korea?”

My mom is so cute when she gets older. After hanging up the phone, I felt a little guilty for being rude. I should have been more patient and I should be nicer to her.

I always make my sukjunamul  this way. It’s a simple and easy recipe, and delicious! Just as my mom said, when it’s mixed with a few more vegetables, rice, hot pepper paste, and sesame oil, it’s even more delicious!

(for 2-4 servings):
Mung bean sprouts, salt, garlic, green onion, cucumber, sesame seeds, and sesame oil

1. Wash and drain 12 oz (340 grams: about 3½ cups’ worth) of mung bean sprouts in cold water a couple of times until they’re clean. Pick out any brownish rotten beans.
  2. Put them in a pot and add ½ cup water and ¼ ts salt.
  3. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat for 5 mins.
  4. Rinse in cold water, strain, and set aside.
  5. Cut about 1 cup’s worth of seedless cucumbers into matchsticks and put into a bowl.
  6. Add ½ ts salt to the cucumbers. Mix and set aside for a few minutes.
  7. Squeeze any excess water out of the cooked mung bean sprouts and put them into a mixing bowl.
  8. Squeeze any excess water out of the cucumber strips and add them to the sprouts in the mixing bowl.
  9. Add 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 chopped green onion, ½ ts salt, 1 ts sesame oil, and 1 ts sesame seeds to the mixing bowl.
  10. Mix well by hand.
  11. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with rice.

1. oksipak California joined 1/11
    Posted May 4th, 2011 at 9:36 pm | # |

You know what? I’m sprouting my own Mung Beans. After researching online on how to sprout Mung Beans, it takes about 7 days. So I’ll post the photos from beginning to end dish result. This recipe just looks fantastic! Unfortunately, I have to wait about lucky 7 days. ;)

• oksipak California joined 1/11
      Posted May 4th, 2011 at 9:45 pm | # |

Forgot the most important comment: CONGRATS ON THE NEXTUP YOUTUBE CHALLENGE! Does that also mean you will be making lots more new recipes too? I have a lot of catching up to do in trying all your recipes. That’s a good thing. :)

Posted May 5th, 2011 at 6:47 am | # |

Thank you! You are sprouting mung beans? I’m so excited about your mungbean sprouts result! : )

• asirsultana Lakewood, WA joined 5/11
      Posted May 5th, 2011 at 4:45 pm | # |

Where do you get the mung beans to sprout?

• oksipak California joined 1/11
        Posted May 7th, 2011 at 11:25 am | # |

Hello Asirsultana, you can buy them in your Asian market. If I can’t find the Mung Beans in my local Asian store (which is most of the time), then I order via Internet through Hmart.

It’s sitting on my kitchen counter and today is Day 3 of soaking and I see little sprout-lings showing. 4 more day of soaking and rinsing cycles then I can try the above recipe. :)

Posted May 10th, 2011 at 12:34 am | # |

” Day 3 of soaking and I see little sprout-lings showing.” omg! Congratulations! : )

• Cutemom Indonesia joined 3/13
          Posted February 17th, 2014 at 9:40 pm | # |

Hi, how come it take so long to soak before they sprout?
          Out here in Indonesia, if we forgot to cook our soaked mungbean for more than 10 hrs it will start to sprout already. It took me 3 days to get the long stem sprouts.

2. Reinier Rotterdam, The Netherlands joined 2/09
    Posted May 4th, 2011 at 12:49 pm | # |

Congratulations! Soooo deserved :)

3. leahangel Seattle, WA USA joined 9/10
    Posted May 4th, 2011 at 12:05 pm | # |

Hooray for you Emily!! I’m so excited that you get the opportunity to go to Youtube camp :D It’s going to be fun! Thanks as always for the great videos and recipes. They have truly enriched my life.

Posted May 5th, 2011 at 6:49 am | # |

Yes, I always love to learn something new and meet new people. It will be so fun. Thanks a lot!

4. Cheonyong Indonesia joined 4/11
    Posted May 4th, 2011 at 4:38 am | # |

wow…
    maangchi…
    This is Great!
    you are the most kind korean cooks~!
    and I have no doubt about your achivement~!
    I just say…
    ahh, I am so happy to hear this…
    and about the dish…
    I will made this tonight…
    hope I didn’t did any mistake

Posted May 5th, 2011 at 6:50 am | # |

Thank you! I hope your mungbean sprouts side dish turned out good!

5. jennykoh Singapore joined 1/10
    Posted May 3rd, 2011 at 9:50 am | # |

Dear Maangchi,

I am so happy for you.Congratulations ! I ll always support you…

Posted May 3rd, 2011 at 6:18 pm | # |

oh, Jenny! Thank you very much! Say hello to your family!

6. dori Hannover, Germany joined 1/10
    Posted May 3rd, 2011 at 3:54 am | # |

Maangchi, I am so happy for you! Your global cooking show idea is brilliant, and I am sure that all your fans (like me) really wished for you to win!
    I hope you´ll come to Germany! I´m still obsessed with kimchi, and it would be great if you would tell me your opinion of mine :) Even my boyfriend, who doesn´t like spicy food, wished for dakkangjung for his birthday today! You can win over anyone, no wonder you won the contest :D

Congratulations!!!! :D

7. kwonwon singapore joined 2/11
    Posted May 3rd, 2011 at 2:17 am | # |

Dear Maangchi,

Congratulations! My school holidays are coming and I will be trying more of your recipes!

8. vb38 joined 7/10
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 11:58 pm | # |

Congratulations, Maangchi! U are the best and u totally deserve it!!!!! Just awesome!!!!!!!!!!

9. JamieF New Zealand joined 1/11
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 6:41 pm | # |

This is such wonderful news Maangchi! I am really thrilled that you won – you definitely deserve it! I hope NZ is on your list of places to visit because I would love to meet you and have you stay at my house!

10. TeteATete joined 5/11
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 3:26 pm | # |

Congratulation Maangchi!!! Best of luck!! :)

11. Sylvia joined 9/08
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 1:26 pm | # |

Your sharing goes places you don’t even know about.
    Just this morning I took a container of kongnomulguk to my Korean friend who has a cold/allergy.

Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 5:35 pm | # |

see? You are sharing your love through your homemade food with your friend! I love u!

12. mokpochica Michigan joined 1/09
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 11:25 am | # |

I’m so happy to hear that you were chosen for NextUp. Yay! You are already having so much success with your goal of sharing Korean food with the world and teaching others that they too can make delicious homemade food. Just think of how many more people you will be able to reach now–and in what new directions this will take you! I’ve definitely experienced a shift in the way I feel about food since I began using your site. When I want to go to a restaurant I think, “I could make that at home and it would be healthier and taste better too”.

Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 5:39 pm | # |

” ..When I want to go to a restaurant I think, “I could make that at home and it would be healthier and taste better too”.” I totally agree with you and your post makes me so happy!

13. powerplantop Louisiana joined 6/09
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 10:44 am | # |

You have put so much work into what you are doing its good to see that YT is willing to help you move to the next level.

14. Maha Jordan joined 12/10
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 8:47 am | # |

Dear Maangchi:
    I’m extremely happy for you ….. you deserve all the best
    God help & bless you

15. soko2usa Minnesota joined 4/09
    Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 8:07 am | # |

Wow wow wow! Congratulations! I’m so excited for you! And I can’t wait to see what your show will be like!

I hope you come to Minnesota again – maybe you can meet the Korean lady who cooks Norwegian and she can teach you her potato klub!

*jumps up and down and cheers for Maangchi!*

Kerri

Posted May 2nd, 2011 at 5:46 pm | # |

ow ow! I miss you Kerri! “..jumps up and down and cheers for Maangchi!* haha!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2 3