Sweet red bean soup

Danpatjuk 단팥죽

red bean paste, sweet rice flour, boiling water, sugar, pine nuts, cinnamon powder.

1. In a pot, place 1 cup of washed red beans and 4 cups of water and heat it over high heat for 10 minutes.
  2. Lower the heat to low medium and simmer for 50 minutes.
  3. Check if the beans are cooked fully. Remove extra water from the beans and crush them with a wooden spoon or use your food processor to grind it.
  4. Add 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 ts of salt, 1 ts of cinnamon powder into the red bean paste and set it aside.

danpatjuk
  1. Put the red bean paste in a pot.
  2. Pour some water (about 4- 5 cups) and 1 cup of sugar (depends on your taste) and boil it.
  3. Mix one cup of sweet rice powder, a pinch of salt and 1 tbs of sugar in a bowl.
  4. Add ½ cup-1 cup of hot water in “3” and mix it with a spoon first and fold it by hand to make dough. (The amount of hot water varies depending on the dryness of sweet rice powder you use, so first use ½ cup of hot water to make your dough and put more hot water while kneading the dough)
  5. Make small rice balls with the dough about 0.5 cm diameter.
  6. When the red bean soup boils, add the rice balls and cook it.
  7. Keep stirring the soup and it will get thicker.
  8. Ladle the soup into a bowl and add a few pine nuts on top and sprinkle some cinnamon powder and serve it.

1. JamieF New Zealand joined 1/11
    Posted February 16th, 2011 at 5:25 pm | # |

Can I use the frozen rice flour for this? I would like to try it as I bought the beans yesterday but I will have to go to the store for the other flour if I can’t use frozen.

2. Fransisca Scottsdale, Arizona joined 11/10
    Posted December 25th, 2010 at 2:24 am | # |

It’s the best winter dessert ever. Thank you Maangchi.. =)

3. wongwaisee_3017 joined 12/10
    Posted December 11th, 2010 at 11:47 am | # |

Nice and easy recipe. Will try this for the coming winter solstice’s reunion dinner with “tang yuen” in red bean or green bean dessert. Thanks.

4. bo Hawaii joined 7/10
    Posted October 21st, 2010 at 12:10 pm | # |

Oh wow! I make this at least once a year… but Japanese style, called Zenzai. It’s my husband’s favorite. Mine is more simple. Just a bag of azuki beans and boil it for at least 2 hours with sugar. At the end I make little balls with mochiko. I think next time I’m going to try using those little Korean mochi balls instead

Posted October 22nd, 2010 at 11:26 am | # |

Bo, I remember the name Zenzai. I used to call it zensai instead of zenzai. When I was in elementary school, there was a restaurant right in front of my school. Their zensai was super tasty. They served several steamed buns with sweet red beans soup on top. I have a good memory about the food. Someday I will post the recipe with the story.
      I’m surprised you mention zensai word!

5. cel joined 6/10
    Posted June 28th, 2010 at 4:11 pm | # |

hi maangchi,
    can I use granulated rice flour instead of the sweet rice cake?
    thx:)

Posted June 28th, 2010 at 7:53 pm | # |

Are you talking about glutinous rice flour? If so, yes, you can use it. Glutinour rice flour is sweet rice flour.

• sleepzagirl Singapore joined 9/10
        Posted October 7th, 2010 at 12:11 am | # |

oh now i know too!! so glutinous rice flour can also make the sauce for kimchi? Is it the same one?

6. Laury Tan rowland heights, california joined 3/10
    Posted May 20th, 2010 at 11:02 pm | # |

maangchi, could you explain to me step 4 again? i don’t really get it~ D:

Posted May 21st, 2010 at 10:00 am | # |

step 3 and 4 are directions to make dough for rice cake balls.
      In step 3, dried ingredients are placed in a bowl. In step 4, it says you will add hot water to the dried sweet rice flour and mix and knead it.

7. Aiyana
    Posted December 23rd, 2009 at 2:24 am | # |

Hi maangchi it’s nice to see you this sweet red beans soup looks delicious i wanna try this thanks for posting this recipes i can’t wait to try this

8. Lotusbean
    Posted February 11th, 2009 at 11:43 am | # |

My friend told me about yoongyang dduk from a bakery she went to while visiting Koreatown. Maybe it was their special recipe. My mother used to make a kind of dduk that was brown rice and very glutinous. It had red bean,dates,pistachios, and mung bean. Does this sound familiar to you? I don’t know the name and I would love to try to find some or make it at home.

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted February 10th, 2009 at 7:51 pm | # |

Lotusbean,
    sure, Yahshik is included in the list of my upcoming recipes. What is yongyang dduk? yongyang means “nutrition”. Leave your message on the forum if you want to discuss Yongyangdduk.

10. Lotusbean
    Posted February 10th, 2009 at 11:14 am | # |

I forgot about this porridge! I haven’t had it since I was a child. Thank you for bringing me smiles. Can you post a recipe for yakshik and/or yong yang dduk? Thank you, Maangchi for all your delicious recipes!

11. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted January 29th, 2009 at 11:18 pm | # |

orangge,
    sorry I just see your question. Dongji day, we usually eat red bean porridge.

pooopsicle,
    how about between 0.5 cm and 1 cm diameter? : )

12. pooopsicle
    Posted January 28th, 2009 at 9:23 pm | # |

Oh my, I made something very similar to this just yesterday : D
    I was wondering, when you said make the balls 0.5 cm in diameter, that’s quite tiny isn’t it ?
    Should they be the same size as the rice balls in your pumpkin porridge recipe ?

13. orangge
    Posted December 21st, 2008 at 1:21 pm | # |

Last year the dong zhi (冬至) festival was falled on 22 Dec. However, it is on 21 Dec this year based on the chinese calendar. The rice ball is called Tang Yuan (汤圆) in Chinese. It’s either filled or unfilled. The filling can be anything like peanut, red bean, chocolate, pumpkin, yam, etc or anything you like. Usually how are you celebrate dongji festival?

14. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted December 21st, 2008 at 11:39 am | # |

chocolatie,
    yes hodduk recipe will be posted someday in the future. Thank you,

15. chocolatie
    Posted December 21st, 2008 at 10:49 am | # |

This looks really good! :)
    I was wondering if you could post a recipe for ho dduk?

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2 3