Grilled beef

Soegogi-gui 쇠고기구이

Korean style grilled beef is served with green onion salad, a mixture of bean paste and hot pepper paste called “Ssam Jaang”. You wrap it all up into a leaf of lettuce and pop it into your mouth. You can dip some pieces of cucumber and carrot into the spicy paste.

1. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces, ½ inch in thickness, and put them in a bowl. Add 1 ts of salt, a pinch of ground black pepper, and 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it with your hand. Set it aside when you’re done.
  2. Make ssam Jaang (dipping sauce) by mixing the following ingredients: 1tbs of hot pepper paste, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs of chopped green onion, 1 tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
    That’s it! You made a very nice dipping sauce!
  3. Make seasoned green onion (“pajuhri”)
    1. Slice 8 green onions thinly, in 5 cm lengths. Cut them into thin strips
    2. Rinse the sliced green onion in running water. Drain it and set it aside.
    3. Make sauce by mixing 2 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame seeds, and 1 tbs of sesame oil.
    4. Add the green onions to the sauce and mix it up with a spoon.

Are you ready to cook?

1. Slice up a dozen of cloves garlic (each clove should be sliced 3 or 4 times) and place them in a small bowl.
  2. Cut carrots and cucumbers into bite-sized sticks for dipping.
  3. On a heated grill or pan, drizzle some sesame oil to prevent meat from sticking onto the grill and to give it good flavor.
  4. Add chunks of meat and sliced garlic using your tongs and cook.
    grilled beef
  5. When it’s cooked, wrap a piece of beef and garlic in a leaf lettuce. Add some dipping sauce and pop it into your mouth. All you can do is chewing and enjoying the delicious taste! Don’t forget to think about me while enjoying the food!

*tip: Beef can be replaced with thinly sliced pork belly which is called “samgyupsal gui”

1. Anonymous
    Posted April 25th, 2008 at 10:52 pm | # |

It’s from a Korean store on Dundas in Mississauga and the pan has a screw in the middle. The picture on the box shows you can leave the screw in or take it out to drain the fat. It looks very cool. It looks like this http://mykoreankitchen.com/2007/01/08/bbq-grill-plate/ Thanks
    T in Toronto

2. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted April 25th, 2008 at 9:01 pm | # |

Hi,T,
    You are living in Toronto!
    Don’t forget to say hello if you see me on the street. : ) You know me, but I don’t know who you are.

Does the grill you bought look like mine? You said there is something on the center of the grill. Does it look like a small cup? If so, you can put garlic in it while cooking meat.

3. Anonymous
    Posted April 25th, 2008 at 5:54 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi

I bought a Korean grill today and planning to make bbq tomorrow night. I was wondering what the screw was for in the centre of the grill? Do I keep it open to drain or keep it closed? Great web site, I was in Korea in 1988, great food and friendly people.

T in Toronto

4. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted April 17th, 2008 at 10:09 pm | # |

hi,anonymous,
    Korean style bbq grill is sold at a korean grocery store.

5. Anonymous
    Posted April 17th, 2008 at 10:03 pm | # |

what are you using to grill the beef on? I see it alot at korean bbq restaurants and I would like to buy one for home

6. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 11th, 2007 at 7:12 am | # |

Hi,anonymous,
    Yes, once you open the hotpepper paste or beanpaste container, you need to keep it in the refrigerator and tightly seal by pressing the top with a spoon so that air doesn’t come into it. There is usally thin film right on top of beanpaste, so you use the paper to seal the paste. Then color of beanpaste wouldn’t change. Even if color changes, you still can use it. No need to worry because it’s fermented food.

7. Anonymous
    Posted September 11th, 2007 at 4:14 am | # |

Does the red pepper paste and soybean paste (both in a rectanguler box with a flip top) need to be kept in the refrigerator after openning?
    And how long are they good for until they expire?

8. Anonymous
    Posted September 11th, 2007 at 4:10 am | # |

Does the hot pepper paste and soybean paste (both in a rectangular flip top box) need to be kept refrigerator after it is open?

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 21st, 2007 at 5:18 am | # |

hi,ginger,
    Thanks for sharing your successful cooking story. Yes, bulgogi is more delicious when it is sweet.

10. ginger
    Posted August 21st, 2007 at 12:22 am | # |

I made the green onion salad and the spicy bean paste tonight and ate it with the bulgogi beef (from the other cooking video). It’s soooooooooooo good! A great combination of spicy from the salad, the salty paste, and the sweetness from the bulgogi. HMmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm good! Yummy in my tummy!!

Also made the spicy tofu soup *again* too!!

Thanks again for another hit Maangchi!

11. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 5th, 2007 at 4:59 pm | # |

hi,
    check out this picture sent through e-mail by one of my youtube commenters, punkonthis.
    Bulgogi looks wonderful with other colorful vegetables and rice, doesn’t it?

12. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted July 25th, 2007 at 8:07 pm | # |

juggy1337,
    Thanks for your compliment.

Please let me know how your kimchi goes. I’m sure it will be delicious. The kimchi I made for my video is still left in my refrigerator. I eat my kimchi only for dinner sometime because of the strong smell : )

My method of kimchi making is our very traditional way.

13. Juggy1337
    Posted July 25th, 2007 at 7:17 pm | # |

Maangchi,

You are very pretty and very talented. I’ve never made kimche the way you showed in your video and I am trying to make it tonight. I also want to make the Korean stir fry noodles.

MW

14. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted July 22nd, 2007 at 4:18 pm | # |

Hello,jj88,

You are living in Torrance! My mom and sister are living in LA.
    Yeah, you can easily find a korean grocery store in California because lots of koreans are living there.
    Good luck with your korean cooking! If you have any questions, leave them here,

from M

15. JJ88
    Posted July 22nd, 2007 at 12:33 pm | # |

I’ve been watching all the cooking videos you have, I think there great. First thing this morning, I went to Freshia (a Korean market in Torrance, CA) and I stocked up on all the necessary staple ingredients (Koren Chili, hot chili paste, bean paste, sesame oil, etc..) I was really motivated to cook Korean food, since watching your videos. There entertaining and easy to follow instructions. Thank you and keep up the good work.