Tuna pancake

Chamchijeon 참치전

I’m pleased to introduce you to this easy and delicious side dish recipe made with a can of tuna. It doesn’t have to be served hot, so it’s good for a side dish at a picnic or in a Korean lunch box (dosirak). My long time blog reader Reinier from Netherlands came to New York in March. I chose this easy tuna pancake recipe for us to make together.

Reinier told me he would film a tuna pancake video when he went back home as a video response. I was going to upload our video as soon as possible, but instead I posted pajeon and mugwort soup recipes. Good quality soft tender mugwort is available only in the spring so if my readers wanted to forage wild mugwort and wild green onions it was the perfect season.

Meanwhile, Reinier went back to his country and emailed me to say that he was finished his tuna pancake video response and posted as unlisted. All he needed was my posting the video. But then YouTube team let me know I was accepted to YouTube Nextup! They asked me to upload a short video that shows my background, nature of my videos, etc… so I had to film my “Maaangchi is Nextup” video instead of editing the tuna pancake recipe. I knew Reinier was dying for my tuna pancake video to be uploaded! But I couldn’t tell him why it was taking so long because I promised YouTube not to tell anyone about my winning until they announced it.

So today, I’m finally posting this video recipe. Reinier and I are going to upload the recipes almost at the same time! Real time! Why are we trying to post these videos at the same time? Simple answer! It’s for fun fun! lol

Enjoy the recipe and thank you Reinier for your patience! : )

Ingredients (for 2-3 servings)

1 can of tuna (5 oz: 142 grams), onion, garlic, salt, ground black pepper,  sesame oil, egg, flour, and canola oil.

1. Strain out the liquid from a can of tuna and place it in a bowl.
    *tip: You can use cheesecloth, paper towel, or just squeeze with your hands to get the excess liquid out
  2. Add ¼ cup chopped onion, 1 minced garlic, 1ts salt, ¼ ts ground black pepper, 1 egg, 1 ts sesame oil, and 1 tbs flour to the tuna and mix it well.
  3. Heat up a non-stick pan and spread 1-2 tbs canola oil.
  4. Scoop a spoonful of the tuna mixture with a spoon and place it on the heated pan.
  5. Press slightly and round the edges with the spoon.
  6. Make 6 small size pancakes with the tuna mixture.
  7. When the bottom is cooked golden brown, turn it over and cook until both sides of the pancakes are golden brown. Total cooking time is 3-5 minutes.
  8. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a serving plate and serve with rice.

Here is Reinier’s video response!

1. meimei50 Wisconsin joined 4/11
    Posted June 8th, 2011 at 8:32 pm | # |

I was a little dubious because I’m not too fond of canned tuna but these pancakes are fantastic! Making them was quick and easy and such a great addition to my doshirak stash! It was hard not to eat them all up! I froze 6 slightly smaller pancakes and will heat them up in a toaster-oven at work. Can’t wait!

Posted June 9th, 2011 at 9:50 am | # |

You are right. I don’t like canned tuna either, but this pancake is very tasty especially as a side dish in a lunchbox.

2. ebibei Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia joined 6/11
    Posted June 8th, 2011 at 4:00 am | # |

Trying this dish to go along with my japchae tonite! Thanks maangchi!

3. misgreenphreak California joined 6/11
    Posted June 1st, 2011 at 9:50 pm | # |

I came home from work today and sat down at my computer to watch some Youtube videos and relax. I saw a lot of NextUp videos had been uploaded and one of the first ones I watched was JoshSunquist’s NextUp rap! He says a line about you teaching us how to cook Korean food. I had no idea someone like you existed on Youtube!! I wish I knew about your channel a long time ago but I am here now and I am ready to enjoy your recipes.

I watched your video for Tuna Pancakes and I had to try them. So I jotted down the recipe and went straight to my kitchen. They are very simple and very delicious! I would have made a boring dinner if I hadn’t found your channel today. So I thank you for being amazing and sharing these recipes. I can’t wait to try more!

4. Ikkin-bot edmonton joined 9/10
    Posted May 30th, 2011 at 8:28 pm | # |

So, easy and delicious. I made mine with summer salad rather then with rice! I will be making these again.

Check it out here:

5. paul joined 4/10
    Posted May 28th, 2011 at 11:16 pm | # |

ya these were bomb maangchi!

Posted May 29th, 2011 at 9:29 am | # |

yeah, I made lunchbox for you when I visited you in Boston and this chamchijoen was one of the side dishes. I still remember you really enjoyed the lunchbox! https://www.maangchi.com/blog/leaving-for-costa-rica The photos didn’t turn out good because we took them in the hotel room.
      So you made this! I am sure you thought about me!

6. shinyprettythings United States joined 5/11
    Posted May 25th, 2011 at 9:59 pm | # |

I made these today! Turned out great and they taste so good!!! Usually I can’t really cook lol but I was able to successfully make these ^_^ thanks for the easy recipe! there are pictures of them on by blog =] http://shinyprettythings9.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuna-pancakes.html

7. MariskaLim Jakarta, Indonesia joined 2/11
    Posted May 21st, 2011 at 8:52 am | # |

i cooked this today! awesome and very simple dish! *thumbs up

8. Erin joined 4/11
    Posted May 21st, 2011 at 1:25 am | # |

maangchi….i very very say thanks with you….and next time i doing for my family …and i show my teacher maangchi see and i look you doing very easy thanks alot..muazhzhhz

Posted May 21st, 2011 at 8:57 am | # |

It sounds like your tuna pancake turned out delicious! Good news!

9. Pei Sze joined 5/11
    Posted May 20th, 2011 at 5:19 am | # |

Is it possible to make these without egg? My son is allergic to egg.

Posted May 21st, 2011 at 8:58 am | # |

yes, you can skip egg. It will still be delicious!

10. meneerIM joined 5/11
    Posted May 19th, 2011 at 8:55 pm | # |

Meneer Reinier – your video is amazing and your Korean culinary skills are equally impressive. so where were you the past 3 years when we lived in Rotterdam (Kop van Zuid area) We had many LEKKER Korean dinner parties as my wife is quite the Korean chef – her repertoire is awesome, and surely we would’ve invited you if we had known about you and your passion for Korean food. I assume you shop at the KTDC on Varseweg? I miss Rotterdam very much.
    well…beste wensen en fijn dag!

• Reinier Rotterdam, The Netherlands joined 2/09
      Posted May 20th, 2011 at 12:18 pm | # |

Thanks! I live in Katendrecht… so that was a 5 minute walk! Where are you now? It would have been nice to meet you. Yes KTDC is awesome. Greets from sunny Rotterdam!

11. Sylvia joined 9/08
    Posted May 19th, 2011 at 1:32 pm | # |

Hi Reinier
    Great to see you with Maanchi!

Sylvia

• Reinier Rotterdam, The Netherlands joined 2/09
      Posted May 19th, 2011 at 4:12 pm | # |

Thank you Sylvia, it was a pleasure cooking with her :)

12. Jason Nato Philippines joined 5/11
    Posted May 19th, 2011 at 10:43 am | # |

Hello Maangchi!.I’m Jason, and I’m a male college student. Thank you a lot for the tuna pancake recipe! I cooked it for my family tonight and they liked it a lot. I feel happy when I cook for my family. There was only one problem: it wasn’t enough!!! Haha. I guess one can of tuna is not enough for four hungry people!! Thanks again. You’re video was good too. It is not boring, and is fun to watch!!

13. animefreakpanda london joined 5/11
    Posted May 19th, 2011 at 9:12 am | # |

hi! Maangchi…i’ve been reading your recipes for now 3 months…and i love you for all those recipes..and thank you as well…i love foods and cooking….it’s been few months that i’ve gain interest in korean food…ever since u’ve uploaded tuna pancake recipe..i’ve cooked it 4times..and me and my family love it…Thankyou so much for sharing it!!..xoxo…

14. eve Germany joined 6/10
    Posted May 18th, 2011 at 3:09 pm | # |

i just made a batch that was supposed to be for my bf, but i ate almost everything myself..so right now, im doing a second one haha :D

its sooooooooo delicious and easy to make! this is definitely one of my favorites now that i need to cook at least once a weak!

thank you so much maangchi!!!

15. eahn4u joined 5/11
    Posted May 18th, 2011 at 1:56 pm | # |

Hi.Maangchi:
    Is there print-friendly version of all your recipes? Maybe just recipes and pictures only? or just recipes?

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2 3 4 5