Korean-style mochi rice cake

Chapssaltteok 찹쌀떡

This is my first attempt to make the same recipe with 2 videos in English and Korean. Yaho! : )
I can’t wait to share this delicious sweet and chewy rice cake with my readers and my fellow Koreans.

Chapssaltteok used to be called “mochi” among Koreans, but these days everybody calls this particular kind of rice cake “chapssaltteok.” The word mochi is a Japanese word that simply means “rice cake.”

Making chapssaltteok with a microwave oven must have been invented by someone in the States a long time ago. When I came to the USA about 20 years ago, many Korean housewives here were already making homemade chapssalddeok with a microwave oven. It was delicious but I always felt like something was missing. Yes! It was the lack of chewiness!

One day I found out how to solve this problem by pounding the cooked rice cake dough when it came out of the microwave. Voila! It worked perfectly! I was almost crying from happiness. Maybe I’m not the first person to use this method, but I want to share this quick and easy way with as many people as possible, including Koreans who don’t understand English.

The only difference between the English and Korean recipes is the color. The English version is pink chapssaltteok, created with a small dot of red food coloring. The Korean version is green, created with 1 ts of green tea powder. You can make 3 different colors: White (no coloring at all), pink (with red food coloring), and green (with green tea powder).

Put the chapssaltteok in a small box (4½ x 4 ½ inches: 11.5 x 11.5 cm) and give it to a someone special! The person who gets your rice cake made with your love will be instantly impressed!

Enjoy the recipe!

Pink Chapssaltteok

For sweet red bean filling:
red beans, sugar, salt, rice syrup, vanilla extract.

For rice cake:
sweet rice flour, sugar, salt, red food coloring, starch powder.

Cooking time: 2 hours.

Make sweet red bean filling:

1. Wash and drain 1 cup of dried red beans (azuki beans) and place them in a thick bottomed pot.
  2. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil over medium high heat for 10 minutes with the lid closed.
  3. Lower the heat and simmer for about 1½ hours.
    If the beans haven’t softened after 1½ hours, add more water and cook over low heat until they are soft and can be well mashed.
  4. Mash the beans with a wooden spoon (or food processor) until smooth.
  5. Put the beans back into the pot and add  ¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ ts salt, 1 ts vanilla extract, and 2-3 tbs rice or corn syrup.
  6. Stir with a wooden spoon over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and the paste looks a little shiny.
  7. Divide the paste into 2 even halves. Keep one half of the paste in the fridge or freezer for future use.
  8. Divide the remaining paste into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Set them aside.

Make rice cake with a microwave oven

1. Place 1 cup of sweet rice flour (Mochiko powder), ¼ ts salt, 1 tbs sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.
  2. In a bowl add a drop of pink food coloring to ¾ cup water and mix well.
  3. Add the pink water to the rice flour mixture and mix it well with a spoon. Push the dough to the center of the bowl.
  4. Cover the dough with Saran wrap and cook on high for 3 minutes in the microwave.
  5. Remove the rice cake from the microwave and mix it with a wooden spoon for about 20 seconds.
  6. Cover it with the Saran wrap again and put it back in the microwave for another minute.
  7. Knead the hot rice cake with a wooden spoon vigorously in a circular motion about 100 times to make it chewy.
  8. Spread ¼ cup of starch powder on your cutting board and put the rice cake on it.
  9. Shape into a smooth 4×5 inch rectangle (10 cm x 12 cm) with wet hands and turn it over.
  10. Cut the rectangle into 8 even sized pieces with a wooden knife or spatula, and cover with Saran wrap to keep them from getting dried out.
  11. Take one piece of rice cake and flatten it into a round circle about 2½ inch (6.5 cm) in diameter.
  12. Add a sweet red bean ball to the middle of the piece of rice cake. Pull the rice cake over the ball and seal it by pinching the edges with your fingers.
    *tip: Use starch powder to keep the rice cake from sticking to your fingers.
  13. Repeat this until you’ve made 8 pieces of chapssaltteok.

Q and A
Q: Maangchi, the number of the sweet red bean pieces is 16 in your sweet red bean paste recipe and I can make only 8 rice cakes. What shall I do with the leftover sweet bean paste?

A: Make another batch of 8 chapssaltteok! Or Make green chapssaltteok with green tea powder! (Korean version). Only difference is to mixing ¾ cup water with 1 ts green tea powder instead of pink food coloring. Or keep the leftover in the fridge or freeze. You can keep it in the fridge up to 1 week.

녹차 찹쌀떡 (Green tea chapssaltteok)

안녕하세요, 처음으로 한국어 영어 비디오 조리법을 두개의 비디오를 통해 올립니다. 이 달콤하고 맛있는 찹쌀떡 조리법을 한국인들에게도 알려드리고싶어서 한국어로 비디오를 올릴 생각을 하게 되었어요. 이 두비디오 차이점은 오직 한가지, 색깔이예요. 영어버전은 분홍색 찹쌀떡으로 식용색소를 이용했고 한국어버전은 녹차가루를 이용하여 예쁜 녹색 찹쌀떡을 만들었어요.

전자렌지를 이용하여 찹쌀떡 (옛날에는 모찌로 불렀음)을 만드는 방법은 아주 오래전부터 이곳 미국에서 한국인 이민자들 사이에 알려진 방법이예요. 제가 미국에 약 20년전에 처음 왔을때 처음으로 전자렌지이용한 찹쌀떡을 먹어봤거든요? 그런데 한가지 아쉬운점은 쫄깃거리지 않는다는 점이었어요. 어느날 전자렌지에서 꺼낸 떡을 작은 절구에 넣고 쳐보았더니 너무 너무 쫄깃하게 변하는것있죠? 너무 흥분되어 거의 눈물이 나올정도! : ) 그 이후로 인절미도 만들고 이렇게 찹쌀떡을 만들고 있어요.

단팥만 만들어두면 언제든지 맛있는 찹쌀떡을 10분 이내로 만들수 있어요. 그리고 작은 상자에 넣어서 선물도 한번 해보세요. 정성이 가득한 찹쌀떡을 받으시는 분들 얼마나 행복할까요!

재료:
, 황설탕, 물엿 (또는 쌀엿), 소금, 바닐라액, 물, 찹쌀가루, 녹차가루, 전분가루

만드는법:
총소요시간: 약 2시간

팥소만들기: (1시간 30분)

1. 팥 1컵을 씻어서 물기 빼고 바닥이 두꺼운 냄비에 넣고 10분 끓인다.
  2. 불을 최대한 약불로 줄이고 약 1시간 20-30분동안 뜸들이듯이 끓인다.
    * 팥이 쉽게 주걱으로 으깨질정도로 삶어져야하는데  만약 더 삶아야한다면 물을 조금 더 넣고 계속 뜸들이듯이 끓이면 됨.
  3. 황설탕 ¾컵, 바닐라액 1티스푼, 소금 ¼ 티스푼, 물엿 또는 쌀엿  2-3 테이블스푼을 넣고 약불에서 설탕이 모두 녹을때까지 저어준다.
  4. 다만들어진 팥소를 반으로 나누고 나누어진 반은 다시 8개로 균등하게 분할하여 양손으로 둥글려서 공모양으로 만들어둔다. 나머지 반은 냉장고에 보관하거나 냉동실에 보관한다.

떡만들기

1. 전자렌지 사용가능한 그릇에 찹쌀가루 1컵, 설탕 1테이블스푼, 소금 ¼ 티스푼을 넣고 물 ¾ 컵에 녹차가루 1 티스푼을 잘 섞어서 찹쌀가루와 함께 밥주걱으로 잘 섞어준다.
  2. 플라스틱 랩으로 약간 틈을 두고 덮는다. 전자렌지에 3분간 조리한뒤 꺼내어 밥주걱으로 골고루 약 20초동안 섞는다.
  3. 다시 플라스틱랩을 덮고 전자렌지에 넣고 1분 조리한후 꺼내어서 밥주걱으로 약 100번정도 원을그리듯이 치댄다.
  4. 쫄깃하게 변형된 떡을 전분이 뿌려진 도마에 옮긴후 양손에 물을 발라 떡모양을 약 10x 12 cm 크기의 사각형으로 잡아준다.
  5. 나무칼로 8등분한후 랩으로 덮어두고 한개씩 꺼내어 찹쌀떡을 만든다.
    떡조각을 손으로 평평하게 한다음 만들어둔 팥소를 넣고 잘 아무린다.

질문! 조리법에 팥소는 16개인데 떡은 8개?

대답:
1. 찹쌀가루 1 컵으로 8개 더 만들면 됨. 분홍색 찹쌀떡 만들어보세요 (영어버전) : )
2. 아니면 남은 8개 용량 팥소를 냉장고나 냉동실에 보관하고 필요할때 꺼내어 쓰세요!

1. anhvo Minnesota joined 10/11
    Posted February 11th, 2012 at 8:01 pm | # |

Maangchi !! I need help ! When I heated up the rice flour, it turns out to look exactly like yours and I also see the spots with white stuff, but when I heat it again for 1 minute, it have these hard spots inside it, and how can I remove it/improve it so the hard spot go away ? The same thing happens to me when I made Injeolmi :(

Posted February 11th, 2012 at 9:03 pm | # |

“.. hard spots inside it” I think the rice cake was overcooked. Remove the hard part and make rice cake. If you make it again later, cook it 30 seconds instead of 1 minute. Your microwave must be stronger than mine. Cheers!

2. Jasper Philippines joined 5/11
    Posted February 11th, 2012 at 11:06 am | # |

Hi Maangchi.. I have a suggestion about the “recipes” section. All the recipes are arranged by category (maindish, cold, spicy, etc.)… I think it would be nice if you could add another category wherein all the recipes will be listed in the order that you released them.. So, for example, the squid dish would be on top since that was your first ever recipe (or so I think?) and at the bottom would be your latest recipe (chapssalddeok). I think this is useful because sometimes,so that we can browse all of the recipes at once… haha.. this is only a suggestion. I hope you can think about it. And, sorry if I posted this under chapssaldeok recipe. I don’t know where else I can post it.

Posted February 11th, 2012 at 9:04 pm | # |

Thank you very much for your good suggestion. : ) Let me think about it.

3. iSnsd United States joined 2/12
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 11:08 pm | # |

Is it okay if I use this rice flour instead: http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=761898630518? I don’t think Hmart has Mochiko :(

4. Souavarat Houston, Texas joined 9/10
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 10:49 pm | # |

Maangchi you look so cute! I am making some this weekend! It looks so yummy!

Posted February 15th, 2012 at 10:20 am | # |

Thanks! I hope it turned out beautiful and delicious!

5. Miezziej the Netherlands joined 2/12
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 2:10 pm | # |

It looks so delicious!
    I really want to make some for my family ^^ I want to make them this weekend, but I will probably have to make them in the morning, but I won’t be able to eat them until the evening! How should I store them during the day? I heard they dry out really fast :( And since it’s only for one day, I’m not really sure what to do haha!

I liked the Korean video too! Although I don’t speak Korean, I still think it’s a very beautiful language ^^

Posted February 9th, 2012 at 3:49 pm | # |

yes, keep them in a plastic container so that they won’t get dried. It will be ok for up to several hours. If you need to eat more than several hours after, keep them in the freezer and thaw out when you eat. Happy cooking!

6. nausicca Copenhagen, Denmark joined 12/11
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 1:45 pm | # |

Love your new haircut and the Korean dress you wore, lovely :-)
    First time to hear you speak Korean, it’s more fun. And really interesting to find out what you chose to say in the Korean version :-p
    Thank you for the recipe. I loooooooove mochi.
    Looking forward to your new Korean video.

7. dessie.garcia philippines joined 7/11
    Posted February 9th, 2012 at 5:19 am | # |

Hi Maangchi! I am a great fan of your and I love your recipes. I have tried most of them and I have succeeded every single time. ^^ However, i do not have a microwave. Can I use a regular oven instead for this recipe? 감사합니다!~

Posted February 9th, 2012 at 3:55 pm | # |

“.. I have succeeded every single time” great great!
      “Can I use a regular oven?” I’m afraid to say No! This recipe is for microwave use.

8. MariskaLim Jakarta, Indonesia joined 2/11
    Posted February 8th, 2012 at 7:42 am | # |

0-o!!!!
    :9~~ *drooling~*

when i watched the korean version, i feel weird because we always hear you speak in english. :D But I Love it! You look very happy and enthusiastic. XD.

Maangchi, I don’t have microwave, can i use steamer instead?

• annabanana Vancouver, Canada joined 2/09
      Posted February 8th, 2012 at 11:26 am | # |

have read maangchi saying you can try, but that she cannot guarantee results, as this recipe is for the microwave.

• MariskaLim Jakarta, Indonesia joined 2/11
        Posted February 9th, 2012 at 3:09 am | # |

yeah.. read that too. Maybe i should try it with steamer and share it with everybody. maybe after i made the spicy noddles. hehehehehe..

9. nicky Singapore joined 2/12
    Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:56 am | # |

Hi, I would like to try out this delicious mochi but i do not have a microwave. What should I do? Thanks :)

10. Heidela Seattle joined 2/12
    Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:52 am | # |

Maangchi, i can not believe you can make this in the microwave! I am so excited! I have made this the ” old fashioned ” way previously and it was great but now it will be wonderfully easy and great! You are the best I am a fan from your very first video!
    We have a large Korean community in the Puget Sound ….so I feel so fortunate to be able to partake in one of the worlds most lovely food, both at home where I prepare dishes (you have truly helped make many reachable!) and going out to eat!
    Thank you Maangchi! Cooking with you is most fun!

Posted February 7th, 2012 at 9:34 am | # |

You are very passionate about cooking just like me. I’m sure yours will turn out delicious!

11. Timmy joined 3/11
    Posted February 7th, 2012 at 2:22 am | # |

Hello Maangchi, a few questions please:

Wouldn’t the raw potato starch taste unpleasant?

Can I steam the mochi instead?

How long can I keep the mochi? Would it harden when it’s not refrigerated? And when it is refrigerated?

Thank you very much.

Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:45 am | # |

Good questions!

Wouldn’t the raw potato starch taste unpleasant?
      It is tasteless and flavorless.

Can I steam the mochi instead?
      I don’t know about the result if you steam it. You may have to add a little bit more water. This recipe is for microwave use.

It will be ok at room temperature up to 3-5 hours. It will harden if you leave it out longer. You can freeze them and thaw out before eating. The texture and the taste are almost the same as freshly made rice cake.

12. soko2usa Minnesota joined 4/09
    Posted February 7th, 2012 at 1:31 am | # |

I’ve always wanted to hear you speak Korean in a video, ever since I heard you speak it for another video a long time ago. I was mesmerized even though I didn’t know what you were saying. Sometimes I thought I heard a word I recognized, but I was probably wrong. Still, loved it! Great new haircut too! Very stylish! You look a little more like your cartoon self.

<3, Kerri

Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:37 am | # |

I don’t know why I feel touched by what you’re saying! “Sometimes I thought I heard a word I recognized, but I was probably wrong,,” Probably right! : ) I miss you, Kerri!

• soko2usa Minnesota joined 4/09
        Posted February 8th, 2012 at 12:35 pm | # |

The word I thought I heard was some form of ‘shippo’, 싶어. It’s one of the few words I know because it’s in a lot of K-pop songs.

I miss you too! I think about you all the time when I’m cooking Korean!

13. jaylivg Houston joined 7/10
    Posted February 6th, 2012 at 11:11 pm | # |

Maangchi !!!! i love your new haircut !!! :D

And yes i have everything in the pantry , i am going to give it a try this week !!!

Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:35 am | # |

I hope Nicholas loves it. : )

14. vb38 joined 7/10
    Posted February 6th, 2012 at 10:54 pm | # |

I just had to listen to the Korean video coz I wanted to hear u speak Korean, lots of it! U look great, as usual. Lovely Korean style apron.

15. Souavarat Houston, Texas joined 9/10
    Posted February 6th, 2012 at 10:06 pm | # |

Looks so delicious! I will make some this weekend.

Posted February 7th, 2012 at 7:33 am | # |

ooh yum! Save some energy to pound the rice cake! : )