Kimchi fried rice

Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for more traditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add kimchi
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.add kimchi juice
  4. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

add sesame seeds

fried-rice

1. Desy
    Posted October 29th, 2008 at 11:13 am | # |

Hi maangchi,

Love your website and your easy to follow recipes! all your food looks so yummy…..so mouth -watering :) I can’t wait to try cooking !

2. Amy
    Posted October 15th, 2008 at 1:51 am | # |

Everytime I make bulgogi, I always over cook it due to my paranoia of undercooked meat! :) How long do you usually cook a pan full of bulgogi meat for so that it’s tender, but safe to eat? Thanks!

3. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 14th, 2008 at 5:51 pm | # |

jennifer,
    oh, kalgooksu is very delicious. I’m planning to post the recipe soon. haha, “secret behind their broth?” Maybe MSG? : )

4. jennifer
    Posted October 14th, 2008 at 8:50 am | # |

I am looking for a great kargooksoo noodle recipe? is it difficult to make? My favorite restaurant in Korea is the MyeongDong Gyoja. Do you know of the restaurant and know what’s the secrete behind their broth? thanks for your help..jennifer

5. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 7th, 2008 at 4:18 pm | # |

meileng,
    oh, it looks so delicious! Thanks for your update!

6. meileng
    Posted October 7th, 2008 at 11:09 am | # |

Hi maangchi, i made kimchi fried rice recently. i added omelette and minced pork for a more substantial dish. It tasted very delicious! it’s on my blog at http://www.meilengloh.com/?p=298. thanks for the recipe!:)

7. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 1st, 2008 at 10:56 am | # |

Chuchie,
    I’m very happy to be found by you, too. : )
    spicy raw squid? Give me more description about the food. If you are interested in stir fried squid dish, it’s already posted. If it’s raw squid dish, why don’t you ask it in Forum under general discussion part. Some other people may give you better answer. Thanks,

8. Chuchie
    Posted October 1st, 2008 at 8:13 am | # |

Hi Maangchi! It’s my first time to view your website and i’m so glad i found you. I work in a korean grocery store here in the Phils., so I know all the ingredients you use in your recipes. And I really love to learn to cook Korean food coz I really love it! How do you cook the spicy raw squid? It eally looks good!

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 13th, 2008 at 10:44 pm | # |

Nicole,
    Thanks for your update!

10. Nicole
    Posted September 13th, 2008 at 8:36 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi…

I made bulgogi and kimchi rice tonight…it was awesome…I added some of the red pepper paste to the beef and it was yummy! You are so kind for posting all of your recipes!

Thanks so much!
    Nicole

11. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 11th, 2008 at 10:45 pm | # |

샤넨,
    I use red and spicy sauce for pork bulgogi.
    It’s included in the list of my upcoming cooking videos.

12. 샤넨
    Posted September 11th, 2008 at 8:15 pm | # |

Maangchi, how can i make the marinade for Pork bulgogi?

13. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 4th, 2008 at 12:35 pm | # |

dori,
    Thank you for your request jangjorim (beef side dish)
    Yes, I am going to post the recipe on my blog someday.
    It’s already included in the list of my upcoming cooking videos.

14. dori
    Posted September 4th, 2008 at 10:22 am | # |

i just found your website and i love it! do you have a recipe for jang-jo-rim by any chance? thank you for the wonderful tutorials on korean food!

15. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 30th, 2008 at 10:44 am | # |

Lydia,
    Thank you for your update! Wonderful!

16. Lydia
    Posted August 29th, 2008 at 7:14 pm | # |

thanks Maangchi!
    I made this yesterday and my siblings loved it =)

17. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 28th, 2008 at 9:54 am | # |

Jenny!
    wow, happy news! Your kimchi already fermented and cooked kimchi stew! Wonderful!

18. Jenny
    Posted August 28th, 2008 at 9:19 am | # |

Hi Maangchi.Finally i found hot pepper paste in Singapore.Only 5 minutes walking from Raffles Place mrt.I made kimchi 5 days ago.It turn out great.Last night i cook kimchi stew.Yummmyyyy.thx again

• thisiscarene
      Posted May 1st, 2009 at 4:42 pm | # |

HI Jenny,
      where exactly did you get the hot pepper paste?
      name of the location would be greatly appreciated!
      thanks!

19. Jenny
    Posted August 23rd, 2008 at 10:29 am | # |

Thx Maangchi

20. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 22nd, 2008 at 11:14 am | # |

Jenny,
    I found this information on the internet.
    I will translate it in English.

1.Korean grocery market:
    20 North Canal Road
    Phone : 6538-9801∼3(delivery possible)

2. Koreana Youtong:
    163 Tras Street #01-01, Lian Huat Building

Phone : 6324-5016/5017(delivery possible)

3.samjin shik poom (shik poom means grocery)
    37 MALAN Road
    Phone: 6777-4988(delivery possible)

Good luck with finding a good grocery market there!

21. Jenny
    Posted August 22nd, 2008 at 9:31 am | # |

Maangchi,i love ur website.Does anyone know where i can buy hot pepper paste in Singapore ? thx

22. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted August 15th, 2008 at 7:01 pm | # |

Melbourne Chic
    Yes, they are the same. I have never used Chinese soy sauce, so I can’t tell you the difference. Probably it’ll be alright. Thanks!

23. Melbourne Chic
    Posted August 15th, 2008 at 6:54 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi

I love your site!

I was just wondering if the Korean sesame oil and the Chinese sesame oil are the same? What about Korean soy sauce and Chinese soy sauce?

Thanks :)

24. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted July 20th, 2008 at 10:35 pm | # |

hi, DolsotBibimbap.com
    I checked out your website and found it’s very informative. Thank you very much.

25. DolsotBibimbap.com
    Posted July 19th, 2008 at 10:04 pm | # |

Nothing better than the combination of the two most traditional Korean food.

26. Anonymous
    Posted June 12th, 2008 at 5:42 am | # |

thank you adjuma im aznshrimp by the way oh i accidently deleted ur message sry can u resend

27. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted April 12th, 2008 at 11:06 am | # |

jo^rose,
    oh, you made it, gratz!

28. jo*rose
    Posted April 12th, 2008 at 10:53 am | # |

Hello Maangchi!

I cooked bulgogi today and it was delicious. You’re right, the recipe you gave was very easy. :)

Happy weekend!

29. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 8th, 2008 at 10:40 pm | # |

Hi, anonymous,

Finest Glutinous rice flour sounds like sweet rice powder. You can use it. And also you can use plain flour to make porridge for kimchi making. That’s what I’m doing sometime.

Regarding bulgogi marinade,
    yes, you can replace beef with chicken or pork. However, in the case of pork, we usually use some hot pepper paste.

30. Anonymous
    Posted March 8th, 2008 at 8:52 pm | # |

Hi Maanchi,

great thanks for teaching us how to make the korea food.i went to korea once n try the dish similar with Bulbogi at restaurant, but they using pork instead. i’m happy that i found this blog so that i can try to make the kimchi as well as the kimchi fried rice myself, but,i cant find the “Sweet rice flour “(for kimchi)that you recommended,as you mentioned in your video,we can use normal flour, Can i replace it with ” Finest Glutinous rice flour” or i should use “plan flour” instead? Besides, if i don’ take beef, the marinate ingredient for preparing bulbogi can it be change to either pork or chicken?

31. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:46 pm | # |

lillian,
    Congratulation! Your bulgogi making was successful! If the side dish soy beans are too hard, soak it longer time than 8 hours. Maybe 10 hours? Thanks for your update!

32. Lillian
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 12:39 pm | # |

My bulgogi turned out great! I meant the pepper paste you suggested as a sauce on the side (ssam jjang). In the end I forgot it, and everything was still great. The soybeans turned out a little dry, but I’m not sure if that’s how they’re supposed to be or if I didn’t soak them long enough. They taste good though. Thanks again Maangchi! I think my next project will be jja jaang myun, once I get the bean paste and noodles.

33. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:41 am | # |

hi, anonymous,
    You made successful kimchi, kimchi stew, and jja jang bap? wow you must be good at cooking!
    Regarding kimchi pancake, I’m sure you saw the vegetable pancake video. You can replace the vegetables with chopped kimchi.
    Anyway, I will include kimchi pancake in the list of my upcoming videos. Thanks!

34. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:35 am | # |

Hi,Sandy
    Writing recipes and making cooking videos are the things that I’m doing these days. Problem is that my time is limited.
    Thank you for your advice. I will keep it in mind.

35. Anonymous
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 12:24 am | # |

Hi Maanchi,

Your cooking videos are excellent! You present us not only the food recipe itself, but the Korean culture. Thank you for so many ones.

One particular characteristic of Korean food which attacts me most is its wide variety of side dishes. If you’re willing to, could you write for us some easy recipes for a list of side dishes? Just like this one, this doesn’t need to make a video. I think you can also make another blog, like the section of Ingredients, which particular focuses on side dishes.

Thank you again!

Sandy

36. Anonymous
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 11:30 pm | # |

I watched Korean drama yesterday and they were having Kimchi pancake. Really mouth watering and it made me want to make it. Can you teach us someday. Hope it’s really soon. Thanks in advance.

Your recipes are really good. I tried making kimchi, kimchi chige and blackbean paste rice. Really delicious.

37. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 5:31 pm | # |

Lillian!
    Which sauce are you talking about?
    For bulgogi and kimchi fried rice, you don’t need hot pepper flakes.
    When you stir fried rice, you need hot pepper paste, so you don’t have to worry.

38. Lillian
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 3:03 pm | # |

I don’t have any red pepper flakes, but I have the paste…can I make the sauce with that, maybe just reducing the liquid?

39. Lillian
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 12:48 pm | # |

Mmmm I’m making this tonight! I’m also going to have the sweet soybeans on the side. Thanks Maangchi!

40. jo*rose
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 12:52 am | # |

Yay! Thanks Maangchi for the recipe! Will make bulgogi this weekend. Maybe I can also add kongnamool in the dish? Or I’ll just cook a separate dish for kongnamool but using the ingredients for the marinade sauce. :)