Kimchi fried rice

Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for more traditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add kimchi
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.add kimchi juice
  4. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

add sesame seeds

fried-rice

1. Anonymous
    Posted June 12th, 2008 at 5:42 am | # |

thank you adjuma im aznshrimp by the way oh i accidently deleted ur message sry can u resend

2. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted April 12th, 2008 at 11:06 am | # |

jo^rose,
    oh, you made it, gratz!

3. jo*rose
    Posted April 12th, 2008 at 10:53 am | # |

Hello Maangchi!

I cooked bulgogi today and it was delicious. You’re right, the recipe you gave was very easy. :)

Happy weekend!

4. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 8th, 2008 at 10:40 pm | # |

Hi, anonymous,

Finest Glutinous rice flour sounds like sweet rice powder. You can use it. And also you can use plain flour to make porridge for kimchi making. That’s what I’m doing sometime.

Regarding bulgogi marinade,
    yes, you can replace beef with chicken or pork. However, in the case of pork, we usually use some hot pepper paste.

5. Anonymous
    Posted March 8th, 2008 at 8:52 pm | # |

Hi Maanchi,

great thanks for teaching us how to make the korea food.i went to korea once n try the dish similar with Bulbogi at restaurant, but they using pork instead. i’m happy that i found this blog so that i can try to make the kimchi as well as the kimchi fried rice myself, but,i cant find the “Sweet rice flour “(for kimchi)that you recommended,as you mentioned in your video,we can use normal flour, Can i replace it with ” Finest Glutinous rice flour” or i should use “plan flour” instead? Besides, if i don’ take beef, the marinate ingredient for preparing bulbogi can it be change to either pork or chicken?

6. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:46 pm | # |

lillian,
    Congratulation! Your bulgogi making was successful! If the side dish soy beans are too hard, soak it longer time than 8 hours. Maybe 10 hours? Thanks for your update!

7. Lillian
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 12:39 pm | # |

My bulgogi turned out great! I meant the pepper paste you suggested as a sauce on the side (ssam jjang). In the end I forgot it, and everything was still great. The soybeans turned out a little dry, but I’m not sure if that’s how they’re supposed to be or if I didn’t soak them long enough. They taste good though. Thanks again Maangchi! I think my next project will be jja jaang myun, once I get the bean paste and noodles.

8. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:41 am | # |

hi, anonymous,
    You made successful kimchi, kimchi stew, and jja jang bap? wow you must be good at cooking!
    Regarding kimchi pancake, I’m sure you saw the vegetable pancake video. You can replace the vegetables with chopped kimchi.
    Anyway, I will include kimchi pancake in the list of my upcoming videos. Thanks!

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 5:35 am | # |

Hi,Sandy
    Writing recipes and making cooking videos are the things that I’m doing these days. Problem is that my time is limited.
    Thank you for your advice. I will keep it in mind.

10. Anonymous
    Posted March 7th, 2008 at 12:24 am | # |

Hi Maanchi,

Your cooking videos are excellent! You present us not only the food recipe itself, but the Korean culture. Thank you for so many ones.

One particular characteristic of Korean food which attacts me most is its wide variety of side dishes. If you’re willing to, could you write for us some easy recipes for a list of side dishes? Just like this one, this doesn’t need to make a video. I think you can also make another blog, like the section of Ingredients, which particular focuses on side dishes.

Thank you again!

Sandy

11. Anonymous
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 11:30 pm | # |

I watched Korean drama yesterday and they were having Kimchi pancake. Really mouth watering and it made me want to make it. Can you teach us someday. Hope it’s really soon. Thanks in advance.

Your recipes are really good. I tried making kimchi, kimchi chige and blackbean paste rice. Really delicious.

12. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 5:31 pm | # |

Lillian!
    Which sauce are you talking about?
    For bulgogi and kimchi fried rice, you don’t need hot pepper flakes.
    When you stir fried rice, you need hot pepper paste, so you don’t have to worry.

13. Lillian
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 3:03 pm | # |

I don’t have any red pepper flakes, but I have the paste…can I make the sauce with that, maybe just reducing the liquid?

14. Lillian
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 12:48 pm | # |

Mmmm I’m making this tonight! I’m also going to have the sweet soybeans on the side. Thanks Maangchi!

15. jo*rose
    Posted March 6th, 2008 at 12:52 am | # |

Yay! Thanks Maangchi for the recipe! Will make bulgogi this weekend. Maybe I can also add kongnamool in the dish? Or I’ll just cook a separate dish for kongnamool but using the ingredients for the marinade sauce. :)