Kimchi fried rice

Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for more traditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add kimchi
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.add kimchi juice
  4. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

add sesame seeds

fried-rice

1. LarkspurRose Georgia joined 12/14
    Posted December 8th, 2014 at 7:13 pm | # |

I just made this recipe after not knowing what to do with the kimchi I bought…I think my dad was getting upset that I haven’t touched it much since I bought it. It turned out great! As a young 14 year old, this was definitely a quick and awesome recipe on a school night. Your recipes have definitely been helping me with learning how to make Korean food :)

Posted January 28th, 2015 at 11:58 am | # |

I’m glad you like this recipe. This is my family’s favorite recipe, too.

2. afan toronto, ontario, canada joined 11/14
    Posted November 6th, 2014 at 7:07 am | # |

Maanchi, seriously you have started my journey on discovering Korean food. It looks great and I will keep you posted on my progress. Anyone watching you can tell you are passionate about your cooking. When you taste your food it looks to me like its really really delish!. It doesn’t hurt that you are so cute as well. Please come by when you are in Toronto. We have a very large Korean community here and I can find all these ingredients easily…..thanks for teaching me how to start cooking Korean.

Posted January 28th, 2015 at 12:00 pm | # |

Great! Good luck with your Korean cooking.

3. baileyt2 United States joined 10/14
    Posted October 22nd, 2014 at 2:23 pm | # |

This is really excellent as written. Thanks! Also, I made it for breakfast by keeping everything the same except, instead of rice, I used old-fashioned oatmeal (but no need to fry it, just add the other ingredients to the cooked oatmeal), and topped it with a soft-cooked fried egg. Sounds weird, and maybe it is, but it is really, really good. (I have a nice picture but I don’t know how to attach it.)

Posted November 3rd, 2014 at 5:38 am | # |

It sounds good and creative! Thank you for the tip.

4. rickyflay United States joined 7/14
    Posted July 14th, 2014 at 10:22 pm | # |

maangchi i made this three times but the texture always comes out very mushy after i add the kimchi juice i cant even add water is there a way to solve this?

Posted July 14th, 2014 at 10:40 pm | # |

Add less kimchi juice to your taste. Good luck!

• silky Vancouver joined 3/15
      Posted March 15th, 2015 at 1:53 pm | # |

Hi! I learned from my mom that the key to making good fried rice is to use rice that is cooked the night before. This way the fried rice will be fluffy and not mushy. Hope this helps!

5. Berner Regina SK joined 4/14
    Posted April 30th, 2014 at 1:58 pm | # |

Great recipe. Paired it with some bulgogi marinated chicken thighs I barbecued. Perfect!

6. medusagurlyeah Adelaide joined 1/14
    Posted April 24th, 2014 at 11:22 pm | # |

Was inspired when you said you made ‘upgraded’ version using meats or vegetables!
    I ran out of kimchi so I chopped up chonggak kimchi and used the chonggak kimchi juice and threw in leftover soy sauce beef.
    It was EXCELLENT!!
    Thank you, Maangchi!

7. JessicaLeah Alabama joined 1/14
    Posted January 27th, 2014 at 11:55 pm | # |

Ah, this recipe was really good! It came out perfectly for me ^^
    I added a fried egg too because I really like that. Also, I love spicy food, but I can’t handle it very well so I added a bit of mayonnaise. I’m not sure if it goes with it right, but it tasted really good!
    Thank you for the great recipe! So so good.

Posted January 28th, 2014 at 8:38 am | # |

I love your modification to this recipe! Good luck with your Korean cooking!

8. flcatng Singapore joined 12/13
    Posted December 18th, 2013 at 7:52 am | # |

Hi maangchi!
    Will adding a couple cloves of garlic improve the flavour profile? Or are they completely unnecessary?
    Cooking my first Korean meal for my family this weekend!
    Thanks so much for your help, glad I found your recipes :)

Posted December 18th, 2013 at 10:35 am | # |

“Will adding a couple cloves of garlic improve the flavour profile?” I usually don’t add garlic when I make kimchi bokkeumbap, but if you want, go ahead, why not!
      Happy cooking!

9. bunnytang Singapore joined 9/13
    Posted September 22nd, 2013 at 11:44 pm | # |

Hello from Singapore! i only have store-bought kimchi and there isnt much juice in it! What can i substitute it with? I have been addicted to korean food and so thankful that i found your youtube channel! Gonna try cooking more korean food at hm =D

Posted September 23rd, 2013 at 6:02 am | # |

You can add a little bit water then. Yum! : )

10. SergioD Madrid, Spain joined 11/10
    Posted September 10th, 2013 at 4:32 am | # |

Thanks for another delicious recipe :-) My question is: do we only use the kimchi leaves or do we also use the kimchi filling (chives, radish, green onions…)?

11. TORY Russia joined 8/13
    Posted August 30th, 2013 at 5:17 am | # |

Hi, Maangchi! :) This is one of my favorite meals! It’s delicious , easy and quick! all most simply brilliant !

12. Sarah03 New york joined 7/13
    Posted July 14th, 2013 at 3:13 pm | # |

yey! thanks for your link to original bulgogi recipe Maangchi! =D I can’t wait to try the pear onion puree bugolgi version too! bet it’s bulks of delicious. words can’t describe how awesome your recipes are ^^

Posted August 30th, 2013 at 9:32 am | # |

oh~ thank you so much for your nice message!

13. Sarah03 New york joined 7/13
    Posted July 14th, 2013 at 12:58 am | # |

Hi Maangchi, thank you for all your awesome recipes and videos! I’ve used your easier version of bulgolgi marinade and the beef came out delicious! You mentioned in your present bbq bulgolgi recipe with video that you had a simpler version from years ago without video and that simple bulgolgi version was originally posted together with this kimchi rice. That simpler bulgolgi marinade doesn’t have pear onion puree in it. I’m interested in switching back and fourth between your present version and simple version bulgolgi marinade that doesn’t have purée in it. Can you please share the simple version again to refer back to? Thank you in advance I am fan and follower and bit anxious it moved actually if any of your wonderful recipes weren’t here thank you Maangchi! =D

14. MandyCakes Florida joined 9/10
    Posted June 25th, 2013 at 3:27 pm | # |

This looks so good! When I’ve made Chinese versions of fried rice it always called for leftover rice so it didn’t clump. Do you need leftover cold rice or hot rice to make this recipe?

• annabanana Vancouver, Canada joined 2/09
      Posted June 30th, 2013 at 10:43 am | # |

Either one is fine. I like freshly made rice, though.

15. khandaa0502 taiwan joined 5/13
    Posted May 25th, 2013 at 3:42 pm | # |

hi Maanchi, im from Mongolia
    today i found your blog and im so apreciate now, cant stop watching your videos,,,,,
    i just love Korean foods and i want taste your foods with you so badly :-p
    anyways, thanks for your recipe, i will make it when im in my hometown because right niw here in taiwan its so difficult to find ingrediants, so need to wait,,,,,,
    love you!!!!!!!!!

16. Nyla Queens, NYC joined 7/10
    Posted January 19th, 2013 at 10:32 pm | # |

My first attempt came out pretty yummy. It doesn’t look quite as appetizing as your meal because I cut the meat pretty horribly. I just made due with what I had, which was rib-eye steak. The kimchi fried rice I added egg too and cut out the seaweed, since I didn’t have any. But end result was delicious, I made it for me and my grandmother and she really really liked the meal. The meat came out nice and tender and she even ate some of the kimchi fried rice and she’s not a big fan of kimchi.

Thanks so much for sharing your recipes

17. tuti.fruti United Kingdom joined 1/13
    Posted January 18th, 2013 at 8:36 pm | # |

Maangchiii I need your help !! :(
    I have some issues with cooking the beef. Basically, I cooked it on a hot pan, using a little bit of oil and i cooked its for 15 mins max. unfortunately it turned out really hard and it was so hard that it made my teeth hurt on chewing it. it was my first attempt and I had high hopes. Is there anythng I can do to the beef to make it more soft and tender ??
    also I didn’t like the kimchi i made it was nothing like the ones from restaurants. It had such a strong garlic taste…. hmmm
    I guess I have a long way to go !! ;(

18. BillP Manchester, UK joined 10/12
    Posted October 20th, 2012 at 1:36 pm | # |

Just made this, with the rice and home-made ssam jaang. It was delicious. I found lots of recipes for Bulgogi on the internet but decided on this one, although I think next time i’ll reduce the amount of sesame oil as the flavour overpowered everything else, maybe the oil I used was quite a strong one.

19. solo05 Hawaii joined 10/12
    Posted October 15th, 2012 at 2:40 am | # |

Hi!! in culinary i picked korea as my country for culinary class and we’re suppose to make a dish from our country…so i decided to do kimchi fried rice, is this the whole recipe? i need help . i think your fried rice looks the best out of all the ones i checked :D

Posted October 16th, 2012 at 3:01 pm | # |

yes, it’s very easy to make. That’s all! Let me know how your class project is going.

• solo05 Hawaii joined 10/12
        Posted October 17th, 2012 at 1:58 am | # |

thank you!!! hopefully theres hot pepper paste here in Hawaii and will do

• solo05 Hawaii joined 10/12
        Posted October 24th, 2012 at 11:22 pm | # |

is it okay if i dont have hot pepper paste?? and how much sesame oil do i add?

20. JenRey New York joined 9/12
    Posted September 11th, 2012 at 2:52 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi! I’m not a huge fan of spicy foods and there seem to be some sort of spice added to many of these recipes. Would you please let me know if there are any “spice alternatives”? Thanks A lot :)

21. Nikki04 USA joined 8/12
    Posted August 10th, 2012 at 7:28 pm | # |

Maangchi, is there a serving size for this or what is the serving size for this?

Posted August 11th, 2012 at 11:17 am | # |

1/2 pound of beef is usually for 1 serving, so this recipe will make 2-3 servings.

22. zachmurray94 USA joined 6/11
    Posted May 29th, 2012 at 9:23 pm | # |

Just made it!! It was amazing!!!

23. She-Ryn Malaysia joined 12/11
    Posted January 11th, 2012 at 2:05 am | # |

i loved making the fried rice for my lunchbox :D

Posted May 31st, 2012 at 8:51 am | # |

Good idea! kimchi bokkeumbap is a popular lunch box menu in Korea.

24. DominiqueEchard North Carolina joined 5/09
    Posted November 20th, 2011 at 4:46 pm | # |

Wow! Just when I thought I knew all of the great things you can make WITH kimchi… I see this. Or maybe I just forgot I watched it all those years ago. More reasons for me to use up my kimchi and make more! Some baked tofu would be nice with this to make a one-dish meal.

Posted May 31st, 2012 at 8:52 am | # |

“Some baked tofu would be nice with this to make a one-dish meal.” I agree with you! : )

25. Huang Jakarta joined 11/11
    Posted November 16th, 2011 at 1:36 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi,

Love your website, and i love Korean food. Been trying your bibimbap recipes and it turns out
    delicious. Anyway, i don’t eat beef, can i used pork instead of beef to cook bulgogi?
    Thanks alot.. :)

Posted May 31st, 2012 at 8:53 am | # |

yes, you can replace beef with pork.

26. Djinni kentucky joined 6/11
    Posted October 16th, 2011 at 7:30 pm | # |

is it possible to can(by water boil method) the bulgogi marinade? or would that ruin the taste somehow?

• DominiqueEchard North Carolina joined 5/09
      Posted November 20th, 2011 at 4:43 pm | # |

Djinni, the marinade should hold up very well to the canning process. I bet that would make a great gift for someone. Make many jars and attach recipes for the sauce to the lids. I might steal your idea :D

• fstroupe NE Mississippi joined 11/11
      Posted January 9th, 2012 at 1:50 pm | # |

I have seen “bulgogi marinade” and “Korean barbeque marinade” in Asian markets and actually in the Ft. Campbell army post commissary. I”m sure that they have preservatives added, which some people do not like to eat.

27. jkhuri44 Sydney, Australia joined 8/11
    Posted August 14th, 2011 at 5:40 am | # |

Thank you for this website!

Absolutely unreal recipes!!! I’ve been eating Korean for years, and never tried cooking it myself..

I made this recipe along with your spinach and soy bean sprout salads, and the whole family was loving it (including me!)

28. quietgurl California joined 8/11
    Posted August 12th, 2011 at 9:30 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi! I’m going to make this with my friends next weekend like a Korea BBQ party. I was wondering what other veggies or side dishes is good to be serve beside lettuce and kimchi?

29. gecor hong kong joined 3/11
    Posted June 25th, 2011 at 12:34 am | # |

can i use pork for bulgogi?

30. britener Stockton joined 6/11
    Posted June 19th, 2011 at 8:58 pm | # |

Hi! I used your recipe to make bulgogi and kimchi for my husband to celebrate Father’s Day since that’s his favorite korean dish. He absolutely loves it and he said that they taste as authentic as the ones he had in Korea when he was stationed there. So far I have only tried those two recipes but I’m definitely making more each week! We love korean food! Thank you and you’re a great teacher!

Posted June 20th, 2011 at 9:10 am | # |

Good news! You made delicious kimchi and bulgogi which means you can cook a variety of Korean dishes! Congratulations!

31. yumsojalee Washington joined 6/11
    Posted June 1st, 2011 at 10:49 am | # |

Maangchi, You are my Julia Childs! I am making my way through your recipes and every one has turned out delicious. I’m a korean adoptee and don’t speak Korean but learning to cook with your fun and instructive videos has made a real Korean out of me!

Thank you- you’re the best teacher.

32. silkydoll1214 Manila, Philippines joined 3/11
    Posted May 31st, 2011 at 10:15 am | # |

maangchi…. is the honey crucial in this recipe? What do I do if I have no honey, do I really have to have it? :(

Posted May 31st, 2011 at 12:27 pm | # |

no, you could replace honey with sugar.

33. oksipak California joined 1/11
    Posted May 8th, 2011 at 9:16 pm | # |

Sunday’s dinner was this kimchi fried rice dish. Just got done making it, smells and tastes fantastic! 5/8/11 Sunday. :)

Posted May 10th, 2011 at 12:58 am | # |

umm, I can almost smell your kimchi fried rice!

34. funkydays Milwaukee, WI joined 4/11
    Posted April 3rd, 2011 at 2:34 pm | # |

I made your kimchi fried rice today, and it was delicious!!! I used my mom’s homemade gochujang and added some spam with that. Ate it with gim wrapped around each bite. :) Made me think of home. Thanks for the recipes.

35. yuhyunsook7 joined 2/11
    Posted February 16th, 2011 at 1:02 am | # |

hi maangchi,

i recently found this recipe of bulgogi that was very simple and amazing via http://topchefkorea.com/2011/01/27/bulgogi/ my husband loved it and he doesn’t even like bulgogi much.

question is, do you think i can use this recipe for garbi too or would it be something completely different? can you share a classic la garbi recipe?

thank you!

36. avhart Helsinki, Finland joined 12/10
    Posted December 5th, 2010 at 10:06 am | # |

Your recipes are AMAZING! I’m half Korean, my mom is from Seoul, and I moved to Finland about a year ago. I’ve been so homesick for authentic Korean food, and these recipes taste just like my moms! Thanks soo much :)

Posted December 5th, 2010 at 11:17 pm | # |

yay, welcome to my website! Happy cooking!

37. kyootty California joined 7/10
    Posted November 8th, 2010 at 1:55 pm | # |

I made your bulgogi for a BBQ this weekend and it was such a hit! Thank you so much! Everyone raved about it and wanted the recipe. I think you’re going to get a few new fans of your site. :-)

Posted November 9th, 2010 at 10:58 pm | # |

Great news! I’m very happy to hear that your bulgogi BBQ turned out delicious! Cheers!

38. Kayla Baltimore, Maryland joined 11/10
    Posted November 7th, 2010 at 9:09 am | # |

My grandmother had told me to put slices of kiwi over the meat while it’s marinating – she told me that tenderizes the meat. I’ve heard conflicting advice on that, though. Do you recommend the kiwi or is it better without?

Posted November 7th, 2010 at 10:44 pm | # |

Yes, some people use kiwi to tenderize meat, but I prefer not to use it because the texture of meat becomes too mushy.

39. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 20th, 2010 at 9:47 am | # |

oh, your kimchi must be too sour. Kimchi will continue to ferment even in the refrigerator. Use less kimchi: 1/2 cup chopped kimchi instead of 1 cup in the recipe.

40. shuling perth joined 8/10
    Posted October 20th, 2010 at 8:11 am | # |

Hi maangchi,

I made kimchi fried rice but it was too sour. How do i neutralise the sourness of the kmichi?

• DominiqueEchard North Carolina joined 5/09
      Posted November 20th, 2011 at 4:47 pm | # |

Shuling, you could try adding more sweetness, little by little, tasting each time till it is right to you. Try sugar as it won’t change the flavor of the rice like honey would.