Kimchi fried rice

Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for more traditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add kimchi
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.add kimchi juice
  4. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

add sesame seeds

fried-rice

1. Tibetan
    Posted November 13th, 2008 at 3:04 pm | # |

Dear Maangchi. It is very nice of you to show us how to cook all the great korean foods. I am really looking forward to try one of your recipe. Love you website!!!

2. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted November 4th, 2008 at 8:12 am | # |

Hi Susan,

It sounds like pork bulgogi, in Korean “doegi bulgogi.” I will post the recipe for it some day.

3. Susan Clay
    Posted November 4th, 2008 at 1:34 am | # |

Maangchi,
    I once purchased something similar to bulgogi beef at a Korean market. But instead of a mild sweet flavor it was very spicy. I wonder if you know what this may have been? I liked it very much and have not been able to find it since.
    Thanks,
    Susan Clay

4. Hien
    Posted October 31st, 2008 at 1:52 am | # |

Hello from Vietnam. I love Korean food and I love u too :-). Beef bulgogi is one of my favorite Korean food and now I am happy to know how to make it without buying instant marinated source from supermarket. Btw, refer to your above recipe, i don’t find PEAR as your Bulgogi recipe on Youtube. Isn’t it necessary???. If you love Vietnamese Spring Roll, I would love to share it with you one day. Nice day.

5. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 29th, 2008 at 6:27 pm | # |

Amy,
    Don’t be afraid of undercook beef. Usually 5 minutes of cooking?

Desy,
    Thank you very much! If you cook one of my recipes, let me know how it turns out.

6. Desy
    Posted October 29th, 2008 at 11:13 am | # |

Hi maangchi,

Love your website and your easy to follow recipes! all your food looks so yummy…..so mouth -watering :) I can’t wait to try cooking !

7. Amy
    Posted October 15th, 2008 at 1:51 am | # |

Everytime I make bulgogi, I always over cook it due to my paranoia of undercooked meat! :) How long do you usually cook a pan full of bulgogi meat for so that it’s tender, but safe to eat? Thanks!

8. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 14th, 2008 at 5:51 pm | # |

jennifer,
    oh, kalgooksu is very delicious. I’m planning to post the recipe soon. haha, “secret behind their broth?” Maybe MSG? : )

9. jennifer
    Posted October 14th, 2008 at 8:50 am | # |

I am looking for a great kargooksoo noodle recipe? is it difficult to make? My favorite restaurant in Korea is the MyeongDong Gyoja. Do you know of the restaurant and know what’s the secrete behind their broth? thanks for your help..jennifer

10. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 7th, 2008 at 4:18 pm | # |

meileng,
    oh, it looks so delicious! Thanks for your update!

11. meileng
    Posted October 7th, 2008 at 11:09 am | # |

Hi maangchi, i made kimchi fried rice recently. i added omelette and minced pork for a more substantial dish. It tasted very delicious! it’s on my blog at http://www.meilengloh.com/?p=298. thanks for the recipe!:)

12. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 1st, 2008 at 10:56 am | # |

Chuchie,
    I’m very happy to be found by you, too. : )
    spicy raw squid? Give me more description about the food. If you are interested in stir fried squid dish, it’s already posted. If it’s raw squid dish, why don’t you ask it in Forum under general discussion part. Some other people may give you better answer. Thanks,

13. Chuchie
    Posted October 1st, 2008 at 8:13 am | # |

Hi Maangchi! It’s my first time to view your website and i’m so glad i found you. I work in a korean grocery store here in the Phils., so I know all the ingredients you use in your recipes. And I really love to learn to cook Korean food coz I really love it! How do you cook the spicy raw squid? It eally looks good!

14. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 13th, 2008 at 10:44 pm | # |

Nicole,
    Thanks for your update!

15. Nicole
    Posted September 13th, 2008 at 8:36 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi…

I made bulgogi and kimchi rice tonight…it was awesome…I added some of the red pepper paste to the beef and it was yummy! You are so kind for posting all of your recipes!

Thanks so much!