Kimchi fried rice

Kimchi-bokkeumbap 김치볶음밥

This simple, simple dish is super, super tasty. It’s just a few ingredients, but it’s a dish much loved by Koreans.

This version is simple, but you can dress it up with a bit of beef or pork. I posted a version of this recipe a few years ago that included the leftover sauce and drippings from a simple version of bulgogi, but the recipe was without a video. Eventually I made a video for more traditional bulgogi, and now I made a video for kimchi bokkeumbap too.

Many Koreans also like to put a fried egg on top, but my family prefers this simple version. When my son lived in the school dorm, visits with him were rare. I talked to him on the phone before he came and I asked:

“What food do you miss the most? I’ll make it for you when you come.”

I figured I would need some time to prepare and shop ahead of time, but he answered: “I miss kimchi bokkeumbap.”

“What? That’s it? Is there anything else?”

“Just kimchi bokkeumbap, Mom.”

As you see in this video, you don’t need to prepare much in advance for kimchi bokkeumbap if you have kimchi and rice on hand. So of course I made it for him, along with grilled beef and lots of high protein food. As soon as he came home, I was ready to stir fry. He loved it!

1. Heat up a pan. Add the vegetable oil.
  2. Add the kimchi and stir fry for 1 minute.add kimchi
  3. Add rice, kimchi juice, water, and gochujang. Stir all the ingredients together for about 7 minutes with a wooden spoon.add kimchi juice
  4. Add sesame oil and remove from the heat.
  5. Sprinkle with chopped green onion, roasted gim, and sesame seeds. Serve right away.

add sesame seeds

fried-rice

1. hellokitty08 joined 5/10
    Posted September 12th, 2010 at 8:04 pm | # |

Hello. Sorry to ask you so many questions but my husband likes the bulgogi to be sweeter, which ingredient do I add to make it sweeter?

Posted September 12th, 2010 at 8:06 pm | # |

Hi, bulgogi is delicious when it’s sweet. If you want your bulgogi to be sweeter, add more sugar or honey.

2. hellokitty08 joined 5/10
    Posted September 10th, 2010 at 1:22 am | # |

I had this with clear noodles at a korean restaurant so if I want to add it, I would just have to boil it and put it over it right?

3. Laury Tan rowland heights, california joined 3/10
    Posted August 22nd, 2010 at 4:48 am | # |

what type of beef is this?sirloin?D:

Posted August 22nd, 2010 at 6:11 am | # |

yes, sirloin or tenderloin!

4. ikanapausa New York joined 7/10
    Posted July 29th, 2010 at 7:48 pm | # |

Maangchi,

I want to make bulgogi, and is it ok if I marinate the meat overnight? Is it going to be really salty?

5. yippieyeah joined 7/10
    Posted July 18th, 2010 at 2:54 pm | # |

If I were to make this with pork, will the marinate sauce be the same? Thank you!

6. kenikedw Peyton, CO joined 6/10
    Posted June 28th, 2010 at 9:28 pm | # |

I loved the Bulgogi…but it was too greasy. I am not sure if that’s the juice? my husband comes home from out of country and can’t wait to try this. He’s Korean and I am learning how to make a lot of recipes through you and my mother in law. (I like your attitude better than my mother in law but don’t tell her that!) lol
    Thank you for making it so easy to cook!

Posted June 29th, 2010 at 1:26 pm | # |

yes, I will be teaching you very nicely even though you make some mistakes. lol

7. reesejin corona joined 4/10
    Posted May 17th, 2010 at 3:38 pm | # |

Very tasty! I made this for my family and they loved it. =)

Posted May 18th, 2010 at 8:56 am | # |

I’m so happy to hear that!

8. KKVL Belfast, joined 4/10
    Posted April 22nd, 2010 at 4:23 pm | # |

hie maangchi =)

i tried making bulgogi with your recipe a 2 weeks ago, it was so yummy(i had extra leftover in the fridge, a few times while waiting for the water to boil for tea i sneak a slice or 2 outta the fridge to nibble XD) ..

i liked it so much, i bought another pack of beef to make another batch XD .. they go so well with almost anthing =D

thanks for the recipe <3

Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 6:36 pm | # |

I’m so happy to hear that your bulgogi turns out good! Congratulations!

9. Jenny
    Posted January 7th, 2010 at 10:49 pm | # |

I’m going to go make the kimchi bokkeum bap right now! What an awesome recipe to quickly use up old rice! My mother would be proud…haha! Thanks Maangchi!

Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 6:37 pm | # |

sorry about the late response, I’m sure you got some compliments from your mom!

10. Steffnee
    Posted November 26th, 2009 at 2:20 pm | # |

well.. I made it directly as you said. But what do you do if it’s a little “sheen-guh-wuh.” like it has some taste but not alot?

Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 6:38 pm | # |

Add more hot pepper paste! that’s it.
      ““sheen-guh-wuh.” means “bland” : )

11. Aika
    Posted November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm | # |

Maangchi, made this last night and it was delicious! Thank you for the recipe :)

12. rv65
    Posted November 10th, 2009 at 4:28 am | # |

Pho is definitely awesome.

13. chuck
    Posted October 2nd, 2009 at 12:36 pm | # |

can you make this with chicken?

Posted October 2nd, 2009 at 8:59 pm | # |

Yes, you can use chicken instead of beef.

14. cookingpractice
    Posted September 7th, 2009 at 6:46 am | # |

woderful, i have just made a batch of kimchi, i will soon make the stirfried kim chi rice! Thanks

15. Viv
    Posted July 26th, 2009 at 11:07 pm | # |

Hi!

How many cups of rice did you use?

Thank you!

16. Briana
    Posted July 2nd, 2009 at 5:32 pm | # |

Hi!

I am looking forward to making this this week, but I have just one question. All of the other recipes that I found online use Mirin or some kind of rice wine. Do you think it should be used? Why or why not?

Thanks!
    Briana

Posted July 2nd, 2009 at 8:03 pm | # |

You could use mirim or cooking wine. I usually use wine or skip it, but the taste is ok.

17. Lily
    Posted June 18th, 2009 at 4:07 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi! I found your site recently and have tried the Tuna Kimbap and it was a hit! Thanks alot! I was also looking at this bulgogi recipe vs. the bulgogi one you made along with bulgogi stew and was wondering why both recipes were slightly different? The other recipe includes pear. I want to grill or pan cook it. Which recipe is better for that?

• Goody
      Posted June 26th, 2009 at 12:22 pm | # |

Yes, I was thinking the same thing! i have never tried this with asian pear – does this make the taste slightly sweeter? Can the asian pear be added to the regular bulgogi recipe to be grilled or pan cooked?

Posted June 26th, 2009 at 1:14 pm | # |

This recipe is easier and simpler than the recipe for my bulgogi stew because I don’t use pear as a tenderizer. When I don’t have Asian pear in my refrigerator, but I have to make bulgogi quickly, I use this recipe. If the meat is tender, it is still delicious no matter I use pear or not.

If you want to make marinade for BBQ, I recommend the other recipe. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bulgogi-and-bulgogi-stew

18. Kimmie
    Posted June 4th, 2009 at 3:51 pm | # |

I always said that Bulgogi is the perfect way at introducing people to Korean cooking. All my friends love it and want to try more korean dishes because of it!!!

19. Hana
    Posted May 30th, 2009 at 10:45 pm | # |

Hey Maangchi. Your website’s great!
    I work as an assistant chef in a Korean restaurant, and my boss told me to see your videos if I want to cook other kinds of Korean food. It’s so interesting that I got to see tons of recipes! :)
    Keep up the awesome website. I’ll definitely try cooking the kimchi fried rice! :)

Posted June 5th, 2009 at 7:35 am | # |

interesting! say hello to your chef for me! : )

20. Charles
    Posted April 28th, 2009 at 5:31 am | # |

I made Korean Mandu following your recipie and video.I could not find fresh chives, so I used fiely chopped spring onion. My Korean daughter-in-law says it was very good. Thanks so much for videos!Today I will make Bibimbap.

Your videos show us so much more than the recipie by itself.

Thanks again!

Posted April 28th, 2009 at 9:02 am | # |

You are so smart! :) Yes, buchu (Asian chives) could be replaced with green onions! Thank you!

21. Jane
    Posted April 8th, 2009 at 11:46 am | # |

Could you one day make nakji bokkeum?

22. Voodoocake
    Posted March 20th, 2009 at 7:26 pm | # |

Thankyou soooo much…. I Love watching you cook… I love the recipes!!! Pls keep cooking and uploading!!!
    Thankyou again!!!

23. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted February 24th, 2009 at 12:53 am | # |

Rahvin,
    yeah, kimchibokkeumbap is very quick dish and it’s also delicious!

tehijau,
    I usually use sirloin or another prime cut of beef.

24. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted February 24th, 2009 at 12:51 am | # |

tehijau,
    I usually use sirloin or another prime cut of beef.

25. tehijau
    Posted February 21st, 2009 at 1:45 am | # |

I’m a fan of your cooking show at youtube and glad you even have a website to follow up.
    I wonder, which part of the meat you use for bulgogi? Or any tips for choosing the right meat for bulgogi?

Thanks..

26. Rahvin
    Posted January 27th, 2009 at 7:29 am | # |

Thank you. Kimchi bok keum bap is my favourite quick dish, when I come home from uni. My Kimchi might not be as good as my mother’s, but I brought some to Austria, when I was home for Christmas. Anyway: I love your recipies and your videos. Thank you for the inspiration.

27. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted December 17th, 2008 at 12:06 am | # |

Pasi,
    I’m glad to hear that you are getting more and more into Korean cooking!

Jessica,
    I think you should buy steak quality beef to make good bulgogi, then it will be tender. And cut the beef thinly across the grain.

28. Jessica
    Posted December 15th, 2008 at 3:40 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi:
    The bulgogi I made last time was good but the meat was too tough. Is there something I can add to make it become more tender? Thanks!

29. Pasi
    Posted December 13th, 2008 at 4:45 pm | # |

My god that was tasteful! Me and my girlfriend think it was dead on! Thanks a lot Maangchi. As I am getting more and more into the fascinating Korean cooking, I guess you will get these posts all over your place from me … =)

Melbourne Chic:
    I do not know about Korean soy sauce yet, but Chinese soy sauce is _very_ salty compared to the Japanese variant. I prefer the latter in all my food.

30. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted November 23rd, 2008 at 9:58 pm | # |

Gabieolie,
    Thank you very much! Yes, I am still uncomfortable with my left wrist. Kimchi stew, kimchi bokkeumbap..haha, you really seem to love Kimchi.

31. Gabieolie
    Posted November 23rd, 2008 at 6:05 pm | # |

I’m going to make kimchi stew tonight and make the kimchi bokkum tomorrow night with left over bulgogi that I have in the refrigerator. I thought I check your website to refresh my memory on those recipes and just read that you sprained your wrist. I hope you get well soon – I hope also that you enjoy the American Thanksgiving on Thursday. Take care,
    Gabieolie

32. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted November 19th, 2008 at 12:03 am | # |

Sunshine23,
    I hope Jenny reads your comment and you guys become friends! Thank you Sunshine23!

33. Sunshine23
    Posted November 18th, 2008 at 9:09 pm | # |

Hello, this is meant for Jenny who managed to buy her Red Pepper Paste from Raffles Place. I’m working at Raffles Place as well. Would like to find out from her, where did she buy her paste from. Thank you!!
    ^_^

34. Sunshine23
    Posted November 18th, 2008 at 8:14 pm | # |

Thank you so much for sharing with us and you are so patient and merticulous! Must have taken alot of your efforts and I believe everyone greatly appreciate that. I am so motivated by you that I went to buy my 1st Red Pepper Paste yesterday and I’ll want to make my 1st Korean dish – Bibimbap

35. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted November 13th, 2008 at 8:29 pm | # |

Tibetan,
    Thank you, please let me know how your first Korean cooking attempt turns out. Send me a photo if you want, I will post it on my website.

36. Tibetan
    Posted November 13th, 2008 at 3:04 pm | # |

Dear Maangchi. It is very nice of you to show us how to cook all the great korean foods. I am really looking forward to try one of your recipe. Love you website!!!

37. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted November 4th, 2008 at 8:12 am | # |

Hi Susan,

It sounds like pork bulgogi, in Korean “doegi bulgogi.” I will post the recipe for it some day.

38. Susan Clay
    Posted November 4th, 2008 at 1:34 am | # |

Maangchi,
    I once purchased something similar to bulgogi beef at a Korean market. But instead of a mild sweet flavor it was very spicy. I wonder if you know what this may have been? I liked it very much and have not been able to find it since.
    Thanks,
    Susan Clay

39. Hien
    Posted October 31st, 2008 at 1:52 am | # |

Hello from Vietnam. I love Korean food and I love u too :-). Beef bulgogi is one of my favorite Korean food and now I am happy to know how to make it without buying instant marinated source from supermarket. Btw, refer to your above recipe, i don’t find PEAR as your Bulgogi recipe on Youtube. Isn’t it necessary???. If you love Vietnamese Spring Roll, I would love to share it with you one day. Nice day.

40. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted October 29th, 2008 at 6:27 pm | # |

Amy,
    Don’t be afraid of undercook beef. Usually 5 minutes of cooking?

Desy,
    Thank you very much! If you cook one of my recipes, let me know how it turns out.