Cubed radish kimchi

Kkakdugi 깍두기

Kkakdugi is a type of kimchi made from diced radish. It’s a very common kind of kimchi and often used in Korean everyday meals along with baechu kimchi (napa cabbage kimchi).

I posted a video about how to make kimchi in 2007, when I had just started using YouTube. I showed how to make both baechu kimchi and kkakdugi in a single video, but I didn’t provide exact measurements as I wasn’t accustomed to measuring things out at that time. I mentioned things like “you need 2 medium sized napa cabbages…” But I soon realized that it would be diffcult for people to make their own kimchi without knowing the exact pounds, kilos, cups and spoons etc.

So last year I posted an easy kimchi recipe that calls for 10 pounds of napa cabbage, and I tried to do my best to provide accurate measurements so that my viewers and readers could make delicious kimchi.

Now I’m posting my kkakdugi recipe today. You can make delicious kkakdugi in an hour!

Korean radish (or daikon), salt, sugar, fish sauce, hot pepper flakes, green onions, garlic, ginger.

1. Peel 4 pounds of Korean radish (or daikon).
  2. Rinse in cold water and pat dry.
  3. Cut it into ¾ to 1 inch cubes. Put into a large bowl.
  4. Add 2 tbs salt, 2 tbs sugar, and mix well.
    *tip: If you like your kkakdugi sweeter, add 1 or more extra tbs of sugar.
  5. Set aside for 30 minutes.
  6. Drain the juice from the radish into a small bowl.
  7. Add 2 tbs minced garlic (about 5-6 cloves garlic), 1 ts minced ginger, 4 stalks of chopped green onions, ¼ cup fish sauce, 2/3 cup hot pepper flakes, and ⅓ cup of the juice from the radish.
    *tip: The amount of hot pepper flakes you use depends on your taste; use ¼ cup hot pepper flakes for a mild version. For a vegetarian version, replace fish sauce with soy sauce.
  8. Mix it up well until the seasonings coat the radish cubes evenly, and the radish looks juicy.
  9. Put the kkakdugi into a glass jar and press down on the top of it to remove any air from between the radish cubes.
  10. You can eat it right away, and then store it in the refrigerator. Or you can let it ferment by keeping it outside of the refrigerator for a few days. When it starts fermenting, little bubbles may appear on top of the kkakdugi and it’ll smell strong & sour. Then put it in the refrigerator.

Kkakdugi goes with kongnamulguk (soybean sprout soup) and ox bone soup.

1. Cupidus Kirkland, Wa joined 7/11
    Posted August 12th, 2011 at 10:44 pm | # |

Maangchi I love you!
    I made this style of Kimchi and our son ate 1/2 of the jar!!!
    it really is super delicious.
    You are an inspiration and so much fun!
    I have cooked a lot of your recipes, your bibimbap is outstanding! My husband’s favorite Korean dish and sooooo much fun to make. I went out and purchased 2 dolsots specially for Bibimbap and the gas hotplate to heat them :)
    Love ya,
    Cupidus

Posted August 14th, 2011 at 1:14 pm | # |

” our son ate 1/2 of the jar..” ah, so cu~te! ” I went out and purchased 2 dolsots specially for Bibimbap” I know how you feel! I’m excited for you!

2. PurpleQurlZ Indonesia joined 8/11
    Posted August 12th, 2011 at 1:18 am | # |

Hi, Maangchi,,
    I’m Qinant from Indonesia,,,
    I’ve tried your recipe yesterday,,
    I was wearing Daikon, coz I can’t find korean radish here,,
    but, it tastes a bit bitter and so with my baechu kimchi..it’s my first time making kimchi..is it normal? if not what should I do to make it better…should I let fermented? cause I just put them in the refrigerator…
    Thanks Maangchi..[^-^]

3. xxgurlyxx United States joined 8/11
    Posted August 11th, 2011 at 2:46 am | # |

Can you cook with these radish kimchi like you would with regular baechu kimchi?

Posted August 12th, 2011 at 12:32 pm | # |

Baechu kimchi is better but of course you can cook radish kimchi, too.

4. jeansuki joined 2/11
    Posted August 9th, 2011 at 12:20 pm | # |

Thank you Maangchi for reposting this recipe. Beautiful pictures, beautiful kkakdugi, beautiful smiles! I love this kim chi!

5. cassidy taiwan joined 8/11
    Posted August 8th, 2011 at 3:17 am | # |

I love your every korea recipe and I tried to make kimchi (only napa cabbage) last week, my family really like it. So I try to make kkakdugi today. But I have a question wanna ask you that is if I put more than 1 tbs minced ginger,it will be changed the taste or not? thanks!

Posted August 8th, 2011 at 9:54 am | # |

It’s up to you, but for this amount of kkakdugi, I wouldn’t use more than 1 tbs of minced ginger because it may overpower the kimchi taste.

6. tweewin USA joined 8/11
    Posted August 6th, 2011 at 10:59 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi-ssi!

I discovered your site last week trying to improve my yubuchobap-making skills and boy am I glad to have found you! =) I’m totally not a chef in any shape or form but your recipes are easy for me to follow (thank you)! I have a Korean boyfriend who cooks very well and I will try to impress him and his mother) with your recipes (wish me luck!). ^.^”

I need some clarification for this recipe about the red pepper flakes. Do I need to buy it from a Korean grocery store or will American pepper flakes suffice (I noticed the flakes you used here are more fine than American flakes)? Would it make a difference if I use American flakes?

Kamsahamnida!

Posted August 8th, 2011 at 9:55 am | # |

“Do I need to buy it from a Korean grocery store..” Yes, get it at a Korean grocery store. Happy cooking!

7. mickeyblack Los Angeles, CA joined 8/11
    Posted August 5th, 2011 at 7:56 pm | # |

I LOVE your site and your recipes! I just started a week ago and have been making 1 of your recipes each night, taking pictures and then sharing with my co-workers! So far, every recipe is excellent! I made the vegetable/seafood pancake last night and it was wonderful – I just had a little trouble flipping it – I know I need a bigger spatula! I love Korean food – even though I’m Japanese and German, Korean food is my favorite Asian food and I’m so glad that I’m learning how to make it! Thank you so much! Oh – and so far, my Korean friends have been totally impressed with what I’ve been making! I’m going to continue to make more and more of your recipes after I get more groceries from the Korean market. I’m seeing my niece in college this weekend and I’m going to show her how to make the tuna pancakes. Thanks – you’re the best!

Posted August 6th, 2011 at 7:06 am | # |

awesome! “I’m going to show her how to make the tuna pancakes..” great choice! That’s so easy and delicious recipe!

• mickeyblack Los Angeles, CA joined 8/11
        Posted August 7th, 2011 at 9:59 pm | # |

You are awesome! She loved it!

• mickeyblack Los Angeles, CA joined 8/11
          Posted August 7th, 2011 at 10:01 pm | # |

I’m in Los Angeles! Come cook with me for your show!!

8. Soju123 New York, NY joined 3/11
    Posted August 4th, 2011 at 10:40 am | # |

It looks so juicy made this way! The first shot in your video of the juice being poured over the radish made me smack my lips. Yum!

Posted August 4th, 2011 at 12:02 pm | # |

“… made me smack my lips” You are definitely a foodie! : )

9. sl100048 Singapore joined 6/11
    Posted August 3rd, 2011 at 2:51 am | # |

Dear Maangchi – It is great to see your standalone Kkaktugi recipe. It is just published at the right timing – I was supposed to make one this weekend but was struggling to measure the exact portions for each.

I have one question – As I prefer cleaner taste, want to put fermented shrimp sauce( saewoo jeot)instead of the fish sauce. Would 1 spoon of saewoo jeot be enough?

Thanks for your advice. Cheers, JY

Posted August 3rd, 2011 at 7:03 am | # |

This recipe calls for 1/4 cup fish sauce, so start with 2 tbs salty shrimp and add more if needed.

10. Reinier Rotterdam, The Netherlands joined 2/09
    Posted August 2nd, 2011 at 3:52 pm | # |

I was suprised to see your kkaktugi recipe again, i made it with the 2007 recipe many times and i see the difference now, this recipe makes it more juicier. The old recipe creates less juice, also you don’t use kimchi paste and don’t rinse the salt off after salting… I must try this and taste the difference.
    I always wondered in restaurants why their kkatkugi was so much more juicier… now i know!
    All the time i make this with daikon because korean radish is not available here, and it tastes great with daikon!
    Thank you Maangchi!!!

Posted August 2nd, 2011 at 7:38 pm | # |

oh, I didn’t know Korean radishes are not available there!

Yes, when I make baechu kimchi (napa cabbage kimchi), I always add porridge to kimchi paste so that the seasonings will coat the cabbage nicely. But when I make kkakdugi by itself, I use this method because I use the juice from the marinated radish.
      You can add fresh raw oysters to your kkakdugi, too. It’s called gul kkakdugi (“gul” means oysters). : )

Gul is pronounced “gool” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kkakdugi

• Cutemom Indonesia joined 3/13
        Posted March 8th, 2014 at 12:14 am | # |

Maangchi ssi,

I’m in the process of making a new batch of kaktugi (i’m running out of the previous batch with only some pieces of it left not enough to eat with my new batch of seollongtang).

I want to add some small oysters into my kaktugi. My question is how much oyster should I put in for 1 radish kaktugi? Do I need to salt it first like the squid or not?

Thanks,

Ima

Posted March 10th, 2014 at 3:34 pm | # |

You don’t have to salt oysters before adding them to your kkakdugi.

11. vb38 joined 7/10
    Posted August 2nd, 2011 at 9:42 am | # |

During summer time, chinese radish (looks like japanese daikon) is not as good as it is in during the winter when there is lots of water content in it and is really plump & juicy. It doesn’t taste as good too, unfortunately. I am wondering if there is a difference for Korean radish. If anyone knows, pls enlighten me. I am missing anything radish during the hot summer months and watching this video is making me drool all over the keyboard! Tks!

Posted August 2nd, 2011 at 7:46 pm | # |

yes, Korean radish is usually more delicious, juicy, and sweeter in the fall. But you still can make delicious kkakdugi all year round.

12. soko2usa Minnesota joined 4/09
    Posted August 1st, 2011 at 10:38 pm | # |

Yay! Kkaktugi is my favorite kind of kimchi! I can’t wait to make this!

Kerri

13. BlackBerryTea Germany joined 7/11
    Posted August 1st, 2011 at 7:19 pm | # |

Thats so awersome i was waiting for this <3 Thanks alot :D

14. tamtam Missouri joined 7/11
    Posted August 1st, 2011 at 6:25 pm | # |

Can’t wait to make this!!!! My mouth is watering!

Posted August 1st, 2011 at 7:53 pm | # |

yes, I will make kongnamulguk again soon to enjoy my kkakdugi! : )

15. JamieF New Zealand joined 1/11
    Posted August 1st, 2011 at 6:14 pm | # |

I am definitely making this today! The recipe is so different from the first one so I can’t wait to taste it. Your videos are getting better every time Maangchi :)

Posted August 1st, 2011 at 7:52 pm | # |

Thank you, Jamie. I’m doing my best to make a better quality video for my readers. One of my FB friends made kkakdugi right after I posted the recipe a few hours ago today. Amazing! I’m interested in seeing your kkdkdugi photo, too.