In 2011 I was chosen by YouTube for the NextUp program so in Oct and Nov I travelled to 9 countries and 11 cities to cook and film a series of videos with my readers. We shared recipes for delicious, traditional, homecooked meals: mine and theirs. Watch all the recipes videos and travel blog posts from the series and other travel cooking videos.
This soup is another recipe which is very delicious and easy to make. When you boil this soup, the aroma is irresistible. : ) If you like spicy food and soup, this is the perfect food. You don’t need any other side dishes when you eat this soup, but you need to serve it with rice. If you want to eat this soup and rice with a few more side dishes, don’t skip kimchi! : ) I usually dump my warm rice into the soup. Ummm!
I filmed this video recipe with Mina when I visited Copenhagen, Denmark for my Gapshida project. Mina is a great cook and has a blog named Copenhagen Kitchen. We made a huge portion for our meetup party that night, and everybody who came to the party enjoyed the soup and asked for the recipe. So this soup will be a great choice for those who have to feed many people like I did in the video. 50 people or 100 people, no problem! Soup and rice, that’s all you need! But if you want to do more, serve with kimchi and more side dishes.
Directions (for 2 servings):
cooking time: 1 hour
- Cut 250 grams of radish (about 2 cups) into pieces 1 inch x 1 inch and ⅛ inch thick (2.5 cm x 2.5 cm and 0.3 cm thick). Put into a pot.
- Cut 250 grams of beef brisket into bite sized chunks and put it into the pot.
- Add 1 tbs hot pepper flakes, 2 tbs fish sauce, 1 tbs sesame oil, 1 ts salt, 2 cloves of minced garlic. Mix it well with a spoon.
- Add 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high or medium hight heat with the lid closed for about 20 minutes.
*tip: when the soup starts boiling (After 10-13 minutes), skim off any fat or foam that floats to the surface of the soup
- Lower the heat over medium heat and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Chop 3 stalks of green onions and add it to the soup.
- 1 minute later, turn off the heat. The soup is done!
Serve with rice.