Beef and radish soup is a very popular soup in Korea. The soup is non-spicy, so it’s a perfect choice for children, and it can be whipped up quickly if you have a lot of sudden guests. It’s hearty food best enjoyed with rice, and is a staple in the Korean diet.
This is an old recipe with a new video, part of my project to remake all of my old videos into higher quality HD and with original music so they can’t be blocked in some countries on copyright grounds.
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
- ½ pound beef brisket, cut into small pieces
- ½ pound Korean radish or daikon, washed and peeled
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly diagonally
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soup soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups water
- Slice the radish thinly into bite size pieces about 1½ x 1½ inch and ¼ to 1/8 inch thick.
- Put the radish and water into a pot. Cover and bring it to a boil over medium high heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the beef and garlic. Turn down the heat to medium and cook for 25 minutes. Add fish sauce, salt, and chopped green onion.
- Cook another 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Ladle into a bowl. Serve with rice, kimchi, and more side dishes.