Korean Tofu stew, or “doenjang chigae,” is made with vegetables, tofu, and bean paste. It’s Koreans’ everyday house food. We eat it with other side dishes and rice, but sometimes, especially in the southern part of Korea, we eat this stew with barley rice, vegetable salad, and hot pepper paste all mixed together. This is the style I’m going to teach you to make today.
(Fermented soybean paste and vegetable stew)
- 1 medium size potato (about 1 cup worth), peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup worth of zucchini or squash, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup worth onion, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 7 dried anchovies, removed the heads and intestines and chopped
- 1 stalk of green onion, chopped
- 150 grams of tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 5 tbs of soy bean paste (doen jang)
- 4 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- Prepare an earthenware pot
- Add potato, onion, garlic, zucchini, green chili pepper, shrimp, and dried anchovies.
- Add 2 ½ cup water.
*tip: Don’t put too much water, just enough to cover everything
- When it starts boiling after 10-15 minutes, add 5 tbs (1/4 cup plus 1 tbs) of bean paste, stir the stew, and keep cooking for another 15-20 minutes.
- Add tofu and cook another 5 minutes
Tip: Occasionally stir the boiling stew with a spoon.
- Add green onion and serve with a bowl of rice and other side dishes.
*tip: to check whether or not the ingredients are cooked, taste the potato.
Korean style mixed green salad
a big bowl of mixed greens (you can replace it with lettuce), cucumber, 1 green onion, 1 clove of garlic, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and sesame seeds
- Wash a big bowl of mixed greens (5-6 cups) and drain it. If you use lettuce, tear it up into bite sized pieces.
- Slice cucumber thinly (cut cucumber in half in length first, and slice it diagonally) and add it into the bowl.
- Chop up the onion and add it to the bowl.
- Make the sauce by mixing up 3 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, 1 ts of sugar, and ½ tbs of sesame seeds and 1tbs of sesame oil
- Mix the vegetables with the sauce
- Transfer the salad to a glass bowl or a big plate and serve it
Serving it all together:
In a big bowl, place rice first, then add a scoop of doen jang jjigae and the vegetable salad (“gutgeorie”). Mix in some hot pepper paste and sesame oil. Wow, it’ll be delicious! : )