Bibimbap

비빔밥
Rice mixed with vegetables, meat, an egg, and chili pepper paste

Today’s recipe is bibimbap, a super-popular Korean dish you might have heard about already! It’s made of a bowl of rice, sautéed and seasoned vegetables (namul: 나물), a bit of hot pepper paste (gochujang: 고추장), and usually a bit of seasoned raw beef, too (yukhoe: 육회).

Bibim (비빔) translates as “mixed,” and bap (밥) means “cooked rice,” so bibimbap literally means “mixed rice.” Before eating it you’re supposed to mix everything all together.

There are many variations on this dish, from simple to elaborate, and this recipe I’m showing you today is for one you could consider “classic” bibimbap. If you ordered bibimbap in a Korean restaurant, you would probably get something like this dish, with regional variations. I’m also going to show you bibimbap prepared and served in a heated stone or earthenware bowl called dolsot-bibimbap (돌솥비빔밥). “Dolsot” means “stone pot” in Korean, and this version is well-known for the way the bowl makes a layer of crispy, crackling rice on the bottom of the bibimbap.

Even though we mix up bibimbap before we eat it, each ingredient needs to be prepared with care and individuality, bringing out their unique flavors, textures and colors so they come together beautifully in the bowl and deliciously in your mouth. The different ingredients aren’t random, they’re chosen because they balance, harmonize, and offset each other.

This recipe isn’t quick and easy, it takes some time to make. But if you’re really in a rush you can make a great bibimbap with the soybean sprouts, spinach, and carrot (or red bell pepper, or both), and gochujang, sesame oil, and an egg— those items are unskippable!

I’m going to share some more bibimbap recipes on my website in the future, and you’ll see how many different variations there are. This version is a little different than the version in my cookbook, because I make a quick and simple soup with the bean sprouts. When I started my YouTube channel, bibimbap was one of the first recipes I made, because it’s such an essential dish in Korean cuisine. So I’m happy to remake the video now in HD with much better editing and instruction. I’ve been building up to this video by remaking videos for the ingredients, too. I remade yukhoe, and sigeumchi-namul, and my yukagaejang video has a lot of detail about preparing the mountain vegetable fernbrake.

So if you’ve been following my videos, you’re now ready to be a bibimbap master! Ready? Let’s start!

Ingredients (serves 4)

How to prepare dried fernbrake (gosari) for use

If you have presoaked or fresh fernbrake you can use it straight away, but if you have dried fernbrake you’ll need to get it ready to eat. It’s fast if you have a pressure cooker, but if you don’t it will take some time.

With a pressure cooker:

1. Wash ½ ounce of dried gosari and boil it with 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
  2. Drain and rinse in cold water a couple of times.
  3. Drain. It should make 4 ounces.

In a pot on the stove:

1. In a large saucepan add ½ ounce of dried gosari to 7 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 30 minutes. Cover and let stand until cool, about 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Rinse the fernbrake a couple of times, drain and put in a bowl. Cover with fresh cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight in a cool place, changing the water 2 or 3 times during the soaking.gosari
  3. Taste the gosari: It should be soft. If it’s tough, boil it again in a fresh pot of water for about 20 minutes and then let it sit, covered, until soft.
  4. Drain. It should make 4 ounces.

Make rice

If you have a usual method for making rice or have a rice cooker, go ahead and make 5 cups of rice like you usually do. But here’s how I do it on a pot on the stove. 2 cups of dried rice makes about 5 cups of cooked rice.

1. Rinse 2 cups of rice in cold water and scrub the wet rice with your hand. Rinse and drain until the drained water is pretty clear.
  2. Put the rice in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add 2 cups of water, cover, and soak for 30 minutes.
  3. Cook over medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes until the surface is covered with abundant bubbles that are spluttering noisily and look like they’re about to overflow the pot. Turn the rice over a few times with a spoon and cover the pot again.
  4. Turn the heat to very low and simmer for another 10 minutes until the rice is fully cooked and fluffy. Remove from the heat.
  5. Fluff the rice with a spoon to release excess steam. Let the rice stand, covered, at room temperature to keep it warm.

Prepare and cook the ingredients for bibimbap

I like to get a big platter and then put each vegetable on it as they’re ready. I think it looks really pretty, but you don’t have to do this. When all vegetables are prepared and ready to use, the platter looks pretty delicious!

Soybean sprouts:

1. Put the soy bean sprouts in a pot and add 4 cups water and 2 or 3 teaspoons salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat. Take out the sprouts with tongs and put them into a bowl, leaving about ½ cup of sprouts in the pot with the water you used to boil them. This is the soup to serve with bibimbap later.bibimbap kongnamul
  2. In a bowl, mix the sprouts by hand with ½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, and 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Put them on the large platter.

Spinach:

1. Cut up the blanched spinach a few times and put it in a bowl. Mix by hand with 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Cover and put it next to the soy bean sprouts on the platter.

Other fresh vegetables:

1. Cut the carrot into matchsticks, put them in a bowl, and mix with a pinch of salt. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until sweating.bibimbap carrot
  2. Cut the red bell pepper into halves, deseed, and slice into strips. Put them in a bowl.
  3. Cut the zucchini into matchsticks and mix with ½ teaspoon salt.
  4. Cut the cucumber into halves lengthwise and slice thinly crosswise. Mix with ¼ teaspoon salt.

Beef:

1. Cut the beef into matchsticks and put them in a bowl.
  2. Mix with 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds with a spoon.bibimbap yukhoe
  3. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to use.

Mountain vegetables:

1. Cut the fernbrake (gosari) a few times into bite size pieces. Set aside.
  2. Put the bellflower roots (doraji) in a large bowl. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons salt. Rub for a minute to wilt slightly and release some of the bitterness. Rinse them in cold water a couple of times and drain. If you find some roots are too thick, split them lengthwise. Set aside.

Let’s cook!

1. Heat up a pan over medium high heat. Squeeze out excess water from the carrot. Add a few drops of cooking oil to the pan and sauté the carrot for 1 minute. Put it on the platter next to the soy bean sprouts and spinach. Clean the pan with wet paper towel or wash it.
  2. Heat a few drops of cooking oil in the pan and squeeze out the excess water from the cucumber. Sauté with ½ teaspoon minced garlic and a few drops of sesame oil for 30 seconds. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  3. Heat up the pan with a few drops of cooking oil. Add the red bell pepper and sprinkle a pinch of salt over top. Sauté for 30 seconds. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  4. Heat up the pan and squeeze out excess water from the zucchini. Add a few drops of cooking oil and sauté with 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped green onion, a drop of sesame oil for 1 minute until slightly softened. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  5. Heat up the pan with a few drops of cooking oil. Add the bellflower roots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium so as not to brown them. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and a drop of sesame oil. Stir for another minute until a little softened. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.bellflower root (doraji)
  6. Heat up the pan. Add a few drops of cooking oil. Stir the gosari for 2 minutes until a little softened. Add ½  teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons sugar, and keep stirring for another minute. Put it on the platter.

bibimbap vegetables

Serve

Here are a couple of ways to serve: bibimbap in a regular, shallow bowl, and dolsot-bibimbap in a stone or earthenware bowl.

In a regular, shallow bowl

1. Reheat the soybean sprout soup.soup
  2. Divide the cooked rice into 4 portions. Each portion will be a little more than 1 cup of rice.
  3. Put the rice in each of 4 bowls and arrange the vegetables and beef on the rice. Top with the egg yolk and gochujang. If you prefer your eggs and beef cooked, make sunny side up eggs and slightly pan-fry the beef before putting them on the top of rice.
  4. Sprinkle the bibimbap with the sesame seeds and drizzle with sesame oil to taste.
  5. Ladle the soup to a small bowl and sprinkle some chopped green onion over top.
  6. Serve right away with more hot pepper paste on the side.bibimbap

Dolsot-bibimbap in an earthenware bowl (ttukbaegi) or stone pot (dolsot)

1. Reheat the soybean sprout soup.
  2. Put a few drops of sesame oil in the bottom of each of 4 earthenware bowls. They should be big enough to hold 4 to 6 cups each.
  3. Divide the rice among the bowls. Arrange the vegetables and beef on the rice. Top each serving with an egg yolk and 1 tablespoon gochujang. If you prefer your eggs and beef cooked, make sunny side up eggs and slightly pan-fry the beef before putting them on the top of rice.
  4. Set each pot on a burner. Heat over medium high heat until you hear a ticking, crackling sound coming from the rice.dolsot-bibimbap
  5. Sprinkle the bibimbap with the sesame seeds, drizzle with sesame oil to taste.
  6. Ladle the soup to a small bowl and sprinkle some chopped green onion over top.
  7. Serve right away with more hot pepper paste on the side.gochujang

Eat

1. Gently but firmly mix everything together in the bowl with your spoon. Try not to crush the more delicate ingredients.bibimbap mixing
  2. Eat with your spoon.

1. AlbertaBean
    Posted October 28th, 2009 at 7:45 pm | # |

This looks SO GOOD! I only heard about bibimbap today on the epicute.com blog, I will have to try it soon! I also liked how you mentioned the vegetarian option :)

This video is cute and so are you!

Posted October 28th, 2009 at 8:54 pm | # |

Thank you, let me know how your bibimbap turns out when you make it.

2. 3hungrytummies
    Posted October 21st, 2009 at 8:32 pm | # |

hey love your blog here, check out mine and let me know what you think. cheers :)
    do you mind i link u to my blog

3. Kat
    Posted October 21st, 2009 at 4:48 am | # |

I plan on making bibimbap for dinner one of these days but we don’t have an Asian store here in Idaho Falls so there is no way I can get a hold of kosari. What do I do?

Posted October 21st, 2009 at 3:57 pm | # |

oh, I see. Without kosari (fernbrake), it will still be fantastic taste! : ) You can use more mushrooms.

4. Iya
    Posted October 17th, 2009 at 12:47 am | # |

helloo maangchi say hello from mongolia me and my sister really enjoy your recipies

5. Leann
    Posted October 7th, 2009 at 7:27 am | # |

I made this last night and it’s sooo delicious!!! We have enough for leftovers tonight hehe. My husband loved it too. :) Thanks for this website! Without you I wouldn’t know where to start with Korean recipes.

Posted October 7th, 2009 at 8:24 am | # |

Wonderful! I’m very happy to hear that!

6. Ingrid
    Posted October 2nd, 2009 at 8:49 pm | # |

Maangchi, thanks for your recipe… by the way do u have haemul jym recipe?

Posted October 2nd, 2009 at 10:38 pm | # |

yes, someday haemuljjim recipe will be posted. Thank you very much!

7. fiona
    Posted September 14th, 2009 at 9:28 am | # |

Hi Maanchi!

I went to Korea for the first time a few weeks ago and I really fell in love with the culture,the people and especially the food. I’ve tried preparing spinach salad, kimpap, the eggplant, potato salad. I want to try this bibimpap but we don;t have zucchinis here in Manila. What can I use instead?

Posted October 2nd, 2009 at 10:39 pm | # |

Just skip it. It will still be delicious without zucchini.

8. JO Malaysia joined 10/08
    Posted September 5th, 2009 at 9:21 pm | # |

Thank you it looks really good i hope mine will turn out that way

9. cookingpractice
    Posted September 4th, 2009 at 9:25 am | # |

hi maangchi, i love your site and your clips a lot! i love cooking, and korean food is so yummy!!! Thanks!!

10. Jonathan
    Posted September 3rd, 2009 at 11:10 pm | # |

I am going to make bibimbap soon, using your recipe :D Just wanted to know, does this sesame oil look ok to use? This is the only one they have on the website.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

11. kim
    Posted September 1st, 2009 at 8:16 am | # |

annyeonghaseyo..

i just want to know if what can i substitue for gochuchang?..coz here in philippines i cant find them..kamsahamnida..

• jean pangouw
      Posted September 1st, 2009 at 3:16 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi, i love korean food.Since i found your website i always cook your recipee and also i dont have to go to korean restaurant to enjoy korean food.Again thanks a lot.I really appreciate it.

Posted September 1st, 2009 at 8:34 pm | # |

yayee! You are making me happy now! Thanks a lot!

Posted September 1st, 2009 at 8:39 pm | # |

You can find hot pepper paste (gochujang) in your country.
      Check this out please. https://www.maangchi.com/talk/topic/where-do-you-buy-your-korean-ingredients

If gochujang is not found where you are living, use green onion sauce by using hot pepper flakes.

“Chop 4 green onions and put them in a small bowl. Pour half cup of soy sauce in there, and add 1 tbs of sesame seeds, 2 ts of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it up”

You can add hot pepper flakes to the sauce if you like spicy food.

12. Patricia
    Posted August 27th, 2009 at 11:46 am | # |

Dear Maangchi, I have a young lady from Cheonaan Republic of South Korea in my home. I have had Bibimbap at a restaurant where they served it in a very hot stone bowl. I purchased 2 of these bowls in a Korean neighborhood in Toronto Canada. How do I use the bowls in conjunction with your recipe?

• rv65
      Posted August 31st, 2009 at 8:19 pm | # |

You can google search “Dolsot Bibimbap” and there are a few videos of it on youtube on how to do it. It’s not that difficult.

Posted August 31st, 2009 at 8:37 pm | # |

oh, Patricia, I forgot to answer you. rv65, Thank you very much for leaving your comment here so that I can read this again.

I make dolsot bibimbap this way.

First spread some sesame oil in dolsot (stone bowl or earthenware bowl) and place some cooked rice evenly over the bottom of the dolsot. Then place all colorful ingredients on top of the rice.
        Cover the dolsot and cook over medium-high heat until you hear rice crackling. Then crack an egg on top just before serving. Thank you!

• rv65
          Posted September 4th, 2009 at 11:18 am | # |

I have an electric smoothtop so I must use either a portable burner or preheat it in the oven.

13. ayiesha
    Posted August 25th, 2009 at 10:53 pm | # |

wow..i have wanted to make bibimbap since i saw kim sun ah ate it in ‘my lovely kim sam soon’..and that’s back in 2005..
    thanks for the video maangchi..!^__^
    i’m going to try it as soon as i can..
    one question though..is the hot pepper paste raw? i mean, u dont need to add any salt or sugar into it before mixing it with the rice?
    lol..i’m having an impression that the pepper paste doesnt taste at all except for the spiciness..
    okay..my stomach’s growling now..hehe..

Posted August 26th, 2009 at 7:43 am | # |

Yes, you can eat hot pepper paste by itself. You don’t need to add anything. It’s spicy of course : ),salty, and sweet. I hope your bibimbap turns out good! Let me know the result when you make it.

14. leia
    Posted August 21st, 2009 at 5:26 pm | # |

hi maangchi is its okay if i dnt put kosari coz i cnr find any here in supermarket…thank you so much

Posted August 21st, 2009 at 6:44 pm | # |

Yes, skip it. It will still be delicious!

15. Stephy
    Posted August 18th, 2009 at 7:44 am | # |

really delicious ! i have try in home today ! =) thank you Maangchi !
    i love bibimbap

(stephy from Malaysia)

Posted August 18th, 2009 at 6:38 pm | # |

Nice! It sounds like your bibimbap turned out delicious! Congratulation!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 6 7 8 9 10 16