I’m introducing Korean style salty cucumber pickles (oijangajji). Unlike Western cucumber pickles, oijangajji is seasoned with a lot of other condiments and spices, which makes it good for side dishes. After we make the pickles I’ll show you how to make two side dishes that use oijangajji.
When you choose cucumbers, make sure they are firm and the skin of the cucumbers is dark green, so that it will be crunchy when they are made into pickles.
How to make Korean style salty cucumber pickles (oijangajji):
Kirby cucumbers (5 pound: 2.5 kilograms), water, kosher salt, vinegar, apples
- Wash and drain 5 pounds of cucumbers.
- In a large pot put 9 cups water, 1 cup salt, and 1 cup vinegar.
- Remove the cores from two small apples. Slice the apples thinly and put them into the pot.
- Stir the pot of brine and apple slices with a wooden spoon until the salt on the bottom of the pot has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil over high heat for about 40 minutes.
- Strain the cooked apples.
- Put the cucumbers into the hot brine. Turn them over with a wooden spoon
- Let the pot sit until the brine cools down.
- Move the cucumbers into a glass jar and pour the brine over the cucumbers.
- Close the lid and let it sit for 12-24 hours at room temperature
- Drain the cucumbers by pouring out the brine into a pot.
- Boil the brine again for 10 minutes to sterilize it.
*tip: leave the cucumber in the jar
- Turn off the heat and let the brine cool down.
- Pour the brine into the cucumbers and refrigerate it.
*tip: Wait at least 1 week to start eating
Yes, one week! : )
Ok, let’s make two kinds of authentic side dishes with oijangajji!
Oijangajji muchim (Korean style cucumber pickle side dish)
- Slice 2 cucumber pickles thinly and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1-2 ts of hot pepper flakes, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs chopped green onion, 2 ts chopped green chile pepper, ½ ts honey, and ½ ts sesame oil. Mix well with your hand.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle ½ tbs roasted sesame seeds.
Serve with rice!
Oijangajji naengguk (cold cucumber pickle soup)
- Slice 2 pickled oijangajji thinly and put it into a glass bowl.
- Add 1 clove of minced garlic, 2 ts vinegar, 1 ts hot pepper flakes, 1 ts salt, 1 tbs chopped green chile pepper, 1 tbs chopped green onion, 1 tbs chopped red bell pepper or red chile pepper, 1 ts honey, and combine it with a spoon.
- Add 1 cup purified water, 7-8 ice cubes , and mix it.
Serve with rice.