Corn syrup

Mulyeot 물엿

corn syrup

Korean Yeot is a kind of candy, so mul (water) yeot can be translated as “sweet liquid candy.”

In Korean cuisine, mulyeot is used in many side dishes, especially those you stir-fry. Clear mulyeot is usually made from corn, and brown mulyeot is made from rice (“ssal”), so it’s called ssalyeot. They are often interchangeable in Korean cooking, and usually Koreans use the word mulyeot for ingredients like ssalyeot, which can be confusing.

Recipes that use corn syrup (mulyeot):



  1. bsim8331 My profile page joined 3/11
    Posted March 25th, 2011 at 1:40 pm | # |

    I was wondering if corn syrup is use in the same way as cooking wine and also is sake another term for cooking wine.

    • happy002 Australia My profile page joined 11/09
      Posted April 10th, 2011 at 1:37 pm | # |

      Hi bsim8331,

      corn syrup is a thick and sweet syrupy mixture so definitely not used the same way as cooking wine. There are many kinds of cooking wine, and they add different flavours to your dish. Sake is one of those kind in the japanese flavour dept and in chinese dishes, you could use hua diao. hope this helps! :)

  2. azie boo malaysia My profile page joined 3/10
    Posted March 31st, 2010 at 10:17 pm | # |

    hello maangchi..if i can’t find corn syrup..can i use corn flour?thanx

    • KillDeer Hamilton, Ontario My profile page joined 9/10
      Posted September 30th, 2010 at 1:00 pm | # |

      Corn syrup is very sweet liquid not anything like flour! If you cannot use corn syrup you should use honey or maybe small amount of water with sugar dissolved in it!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 2

Leave a Reply