In 2011 I was chosen by YouTube for the NextUp program so in Oct and Nov I travelled to 9 countries and 11 cities to cook and film a series of videos with my readers. We shared recipes for delicious, traditional, homecooked meals: mine and theirs. Watch all the recipes videos and travel blog posts from the series and other travel cooking videos.
I’m excited to introduce another soup recipe to you today, this one made with squid! If you are a soup lover and love seafood, I’m sure you will love this. It’s very easy to make but it is smells and tastes great.
I made this soup when I visited Tanya in Canterbury UK. We made a large pot of squid soup for our meetup party that night. Everybody loved the taste and wanted to learn the recipe. When you serve this soup with rice, add a few more side dishes such as seasoned tofu and spinach side dish. If you are busy, you don’t need any side dishes at all; just enjoy your decent meal by putting some multi-grain rice into the hot soup. This soup is also really good to share with many people.
(for 2 servings)
- 9 ounces (250 grams) of squid cleaned and cut into 3 inch x ½ inch strips
- 9 ounces (250 grams) of radish sliced thinly into bite-sized pieces
- half a medium onion, sliced (½ cup worth)
- 3 stalks of green onions, cut into 2 inch long pieces
- ½ cup worth of leeks, cut into 2 inch long pieces (you can replace this with 2 green onions)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tbs hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs fish sauce
(cooking time: 40 minutes)
- Place all ingredients into a pot and mix well with a spoon until well incorporated.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn down the heat over medium heat and cook another 25 minutes until the radish is cooked. The radish will look a little translucent when it’s cooked well.
- Serve hot with rice and more side dishes.