Easy-to-make kimchi

Mak-kimchi 막김치

Hi everybody,

I’m introducing “mak-kimchi” to you today! It’s made with napa cabbage (baechu in Korean), pre-cut into bite size pieces, so you can serve it without cutting. This way of making kimchi is really time saving compared to making whole cabbage kimchi. But the taste is exactly the same as whole cabbage kimchi because the ingredients are the same! So I am translating “mak-kimchi” into “easy kimchi.” I hope this recipe makes your life easier! : )

Since I posted my whole cabbage kimchi recipe in June 2007, so many people have surprised me with their kimchi related stories and questions. A lot of my readers make their own kimchi on a regular basis and they email me the photos of their delicious kimchi! Some people modify the recipe to their taste and some people add more ingredients to invent their own kimchi!

For example, Julie made vegan kimchi. She skipped fish sauce and used a little soy sauce and salt instead. Smart! Isn’t it? Some people like Reinier, James, Sylvia, Clyde, Sara make kimchi on a regular basis. They say, “oh, my kimchi runs out, I will make it this weekend.” If any of you reading this might want to be included the list of people who make kimchi on a regular basis, please email me. I will include your names here. : )

I’m surprised to see all these mouth-watering looking kimchi photos!

But as you know, the kimchi recipe was not using exact measurements. You remember? I said, “use 2 medium napa cabbage and 2 radishes.” The size of cabbage is actually huge by American standards! ; ) And the amount of kimchi paste you need to make is for both cabbage kimchi and radish kimchi. Some people only want to make only cabbage kimchi. They sometimes ask me, “Maangchi, can you tell me how much salt do I have to use for only 1 napa cabbage?”
How can I know?

I didn’t measure when I filmed the first video recipe years ago. : ) Anyway, whenever I was asked the similar questions, I felt kind of bad and a little bit guilty and I always thought I should post a more accurate kimchi recipe.

Here you go! : )

So this recipe will be for a total beginner. Just follow the recipe step by step. This recipe is mine that I have been using for my kimchi for decades and popular among even my Korean friends.

If you want to use whole cabbage kimchi, you can check my whole cabbage kimchi recipe and this easy kimchi recipe, then you will figure out what to do. Only difference is how to handle cabbage: cutting , salting, and how to put or mix the kimchi paste with the cabbage!

Did you see how many questions and answers were made for my whole cabbage kimchi?  So far  831 comments!  These questions are the most frequently asked, so I’m letting you know this.

FAQ

Q: Maangchi, do I have to make porridge to make kimchi? If I don’t want to use porridge, what shall I do?
A: No, you don’t have to. Some people don’t use porridge, but I always make porridge to make good kimchi paste. Porridge helps hot pepper flakes, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and all spices mix together. Otherwise, the kimchi paste will be too thick to put it between cabbage leaves easily. So you can use sweet pear juice instead of making porridge if you want. I sometimes use pear to make kimchi paste, too.

Q: Why do you give a shower to the cabbage before salting? : )
A: If you sprinkle salt on cabbage directly without pre-soaking in water, the salting process will take too long: this is “osmotic pressure.”

Q: Maangchi, kimchi never goes bad? How come there is some white stuff on the top of my kimchi?
A: If you keep your kimchi properly, it won’t go bad months and months. Don’t forget to press down the top of kimchi in the container with a spoon whenever you take some. It will prevent your kimchi from being exposed to air. If you see the top of your kimchi already has white stuff (mold), remove the top layer of the kimchi and you still can eat the rest of the kimchi.

Q: Maangchi, you used squid this time! Last time your kimchi was made with raw oysters! My other Korean friends never use oysters or squid.
A: Kimchi recipes vary from region to region, so some ingredients will be different. You can follow a few different recipes and choose the best recipe that suits your taste.

Q: I’m interested in adding raw oysters or squid in my Kimchi, but afraid that it might go bad so that I may have a stomachache.
A: You should use very fresh oysters or fresh frozen product, then it will ferment along with your kimchi.

Q: Ok, Maangchi, can you tell me how to make the salty squid for kimchi?
A: Choose about 300 grams (2/3 pound) of very fresh squid. Then:

1. Remove the guts and backbone and rinse it.
  2. Add 3 tbs salt and mix it with a spoon.
  3. Put it in a container or glass jar and keep it in the refrigerator for a week.
  4. Rinse the squid thoroughly until not slippery and drain it (you can skin it if you want).
  5. Dry the squid with paper towel or cotton and chop it up.
  6. Add it to your kimchi paste!

I answer many other frequently asked questions about kinchi-making in this video:

Baechu (napa cabbage 10 pounds), salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, squid, hot pepper flakes, leek, green onions, carrot, radish.

1. Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
  2. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores. Chop it up into bite size pieces.
  3. Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt.
    *tip: 1 cup of salt will be used for 10 pounds of napa cabbage
  4. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1½ hours).
  5. 1½ hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
  6. Drain the cabbage and set aside.

Make porridge:

1. Put 3 cups of water and ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 minutes).
  2. Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir and cook for a few more mintues until it’s translucent.
  3. Cool it down.

Make kimchi paste:

1. Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients one by one.
  2. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
    *tip: much easier to use a food processor.
  3. Wash and drain the salty squid. Chop it up and add it to the kimchi paste.
    *tip: how to prepare salty squid is posted on the FAQ above!
  4. Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, and ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
  5. Mix all ingredients well and your kimchi paste is done.

Action! Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste!

1. Put the kimchi paste in a large basin and add all the cabbage. Mix it by hand.
    *tip: If your basin is not large enough to mix all the ingredients at once, do it bit by bit.
  2. Put the kimchi into an air-tight sealed plastic container or glass jar.
    You can eat it fresh right after making or wait until it’s fermented.

I usually put all my kimchi in the fridge except for a little bit in a small container. I like fresh kimchi, so this way the kimchi in the fridge ferments slowly and stays fresh, while the smaller container ferments faster and gets sour. I use this sour kimchi for making things like kimchi jjigae where sour kimchi is better. Then, when the small container is empty, I fill it up again with kimchi from the big container. It takes a little management, but experiment and you’ll get the hang of it!

How do you know it’s fermented or not?
One or 2 days after, open the lid of the Kimchi container. You may see some bubbles with lots of liquids, or maybe sour smells. That means it’s already being fermented.

1,020 Comments:

1. Tatiemimosa New York joined 11/10
    Posted December 27th, 2010 at 7:27 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi I made your Mak Kimchi three weeks ago and am quite pleased with it. I made one mak kimchi with squid and one without. My mother needed the room in our spare refrigerator for holiday leftovers. She removed my kimchi from the large container it was in into several smaller containers. Now everyone is complaining about a strong odor coming from the fridge. I keep telling them it didnt go bad and not to worry. Did my kimchi go bad? What can i do about the smell?

2. asiansweeetiee321 joined 12/10
    Posted December 26th, 2010 at 5:05 pm | # |

So i have a question about the saltiness and bitterness to some KIMCHIs. I usually by mine from a store. But i am planning to make some ASAP. You make it look so easy! However for the store bought ones is there any ways to make then less salty and bitter? Maybe thats how KIMCHI is suppose to be? hehe
    Thankyou!

3. hongkong joined 12/10
    Posted December 26th, 2010 at 1:24 pm | # |

Besides napa cabbage and raddish, is there any other vegetable can be used with this kimchi paste? Thank you.

4. jodiy joined 12/10
    Posted December 24th, 2010 at 8:07 am | # |

Where did you get your big snap-lock container?

Posted December 24th, 2010 at 10:11 am | # |

at a Korean grocery store.

5. harry Whidbey Island, WA joined 12/10
    Posted December 24th, 2010 at 8:03 am | # |

I have made your easy kimchi recipe (minus the squid) twice now and it is a big hit with my kimchi eating friends and co-workers. I thought 10 pounds of cabbage would make too much kimchi but I end up giving most of it away so there is very little left within a week of making it.

Thanks to you my friends think I am a kimchi expert! Good stuff.

6. windie753 joined 11/10
    Posted December 20th, 2010 at 12:27 pm | # |

Maangchi my kimchi isn’t turning out right T~T
    It always taste too sweet and salty and a really spicy after taste. What am i doing wrong?

Posted December 21st, 2010 at 10:18 pm | # |

“It always taste too sweet and salty and a really spicy after taste.” Modify the recipe to your taste. Use less sugar, salt, and hot pepper flakes. : )

7. jevans joined 12/10
    Posted December 19th, 2010 at 2:38 pm | # |

I DON’T SEE ANY GINGER ADDED TO THE RECIPE I’VE NEVER SEEN A KIMCHI RECIPE WITHUOT IT

Posted December 19th, 2010 at 10:24 pm | # |

I use some ginger in my kimchi. Check out the step 2 to make kimchi paste. I copy and paste it for you. “Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
      *tip: much easier to use a food processor.”

8. krismat joined 12/10
    Posted December 16th, 2010 at 1:17 am | # |

Hi, I just want to know what to substitute the sweet rice flour if you can’t find it. Can any ordinary rice flour be used. Thanks.

Posted December 16th, 2010 at 1:25 am | # |

Use plain flour or ordinary rice flour to make porridge. no problem.

9. erika1990 New Jersey joined 3/10
    Posted December 12th, 2010 at 3:58 pm | # |

About the squid for 3 TBS of salt how many squid do I salt with that? \
    Thank you. Kimchi is amazing making it with squid this time. ;)

Posted December 14th, 2010 at 7:36 am | # |

It’s posted on this page. I’m copying and pasting it for you.
      Choose about 300 grams (2/3 pound) of very fresh squid. Then:
      Remove the guts and backbone and rinse it.
      Add 3 tbs salt and mix it with a spoon.
      Put it in a container or glass jar and keep it in the refrigerator for a week.
      Dry the squid with paper towel or cotton and chop it up.
      Add it to your kimchi paste!

10. kyootty California joined 7/10
    Posted December 2nd, 2010 at 5:34 pm | # |

Another winner! I could not believe how easy this recipe is. Now I can impress my family and friends with homemade kimchi. I didn’t add the squid and it stilled turned out sooo good. Can’t wait to try it at different levels of fermentation. Also, I salted the cabbage layer by layer so I don’t have to turn it every 30 minutes. It worked great. I had an hour and a half to do the other steps AND bake muffins! Thank you for another great recipe!

Posted December 9th, 2010 at 3:10 am | # |

Yes, you impress me, too! “Can’t wait to try it at different levels of fermentation” haha, you are definitely a foodie!

11. nshoji Malaysia, Indonesia joined 12/10
    Posted December 2nd, 2010 at 12:33 pm | # |

I have a question regarding salting the cabbage.
    After salting the cabbage for 1 1/2 hours, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly. After this process is done, how salty is the cabbage? Is it less salty, normal or very salty?
    what’s the normal range for kimchi making?

thanks for your guidance.

12. peekaboo Vegas joined 12/10
    Posted November 30th, 2010 at 8:37 pm | # |

I just made my first batch of kimchi today! I tried the fresh kimchi and it was amazing!! I cannot wait to taste it after it starts to ferment!! Thank you so much for this!!!!!!!!

Posted December 9th, 2010 at 3:16 am | # |

Good news! Thank you for your update!

13. Maruko England joined 11/10
    Posted November 27th, 2010 at 3:57 pm | # |

I am really interested in your cooking, I want to make kimchi but I cant find the red pepper powder. Do you have any suggestion to online shopping this product?

Can I use another type of chilly powder instead such as Indian one ?

정말 감사합니다

14. yokee Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia joined 8/10
    Posted November 18th, 2010 at 1:58 am | # |

I’ve made kimchi for several times already using a recipe from a korean friend of mine and my friend said they were good. But when I made using your recipe, they told me that my kimchi is getting better and they really love it! So thanks to you, I’ll be making again this weekend and will give it away as present to a famous Korean superstar who will be visiting our country soon ! :)

Posted November 18th, 2010 at 11:13 pm | # |

“they told me that my kimchi is getting better and they really love it!” yay! congratulations!
      BTW a famous Korean superstar? My other readers will be interested who he or she is.

• yokee Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia joined 8/10
        Posted November 28th, 2010 at 10:17 pm | # |

he is Kim Hyun Joong of SS501. He will be here as spokesperson for korean beauty products The Faceshop ^^/

15. gatochat joined 11/10
    Posted November 16th, 2010 at 6:27 pm | # |

I accidentally came upon this website and after reading your instructions on making kimchi, I really think I could give it a try!

Just one little question. With the sweet rice flour, can I replace it with the Chinese rice flour?

Many thanks

Posted November 16th, 2010 at 11:16 pm | # |

yes, you can. : )

• gatochat joined 11/10
        Posted November 21st, 2010 at 4:32 pm | # |

Just to let you know that I’ve successfully made the kimchi following your recipe!

I’ve tried it fresh, like you suggested with toasted sesame seed and sesame oil and it tasted really nice! I’ve also taken small box of kimchi out of the fridge to ferment. I can’t wait to taste it when it’s fermented! If it turned out to be a success, then I’ll make another batch, this time with Korean radish. Korean radishes are not readily available here and it was sooooooooooooooo expensive!

Thank you for your recipe and I’m gonna try your hot and spicy squid next!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 8 9 10 11 12 33