Easy-to-make kimchi

Mak-kimchi 막김치

Hi everybody,

I’m introducing “mak-kimchi” to you today! It’s made with napa cabbage (baechu in Korean), pre-cut into bite size pieces, so you can serve it without cutting. This way of making kimchi is really time saving compared to making whole cabbage kimchi. But the taste is exactly the same as whole cabbage kimchi because the ingredients are the same! So I am translating “mak-kimchi” into “easy kimchi.” I hope this recipe makes your life easier! : )

Since I posted my whole cabbage kimchi recipe in June 2007, so many people have surprised me with their kimchi related stories and questions. A lot of my readers make their own kimchi on a regular basis and they email me the photos of their delicious kimchi! Some people modify the recipe to their taste and some people add more ingredients to invent their own kimchi!

For example, Julie made vegan kimchi. She skipped fish sauce and used a little soy sauce and salt instead. Smart! Isn’t it? Some people like Reinier, James, Sylvia, Clyde, Sara make kimchi on a regular basis. They say, “oh, my kimchi runs out, I will make it this weekend.” If any of you reading this might want to be included the list of people who make kimchi on a regular basis, please email me. I will include your names here. : )

I’m surprised to see all these mouth-watering looking kimchi photos!

But as you know, the kimchi recipe was not using exact measurements. You remember? I said, “use 2 medium napa cabbage and 2 radishes.” The size of cabbage is actually huge by American standards! ; ) And the amount of kimchi paste you need to make is for both cabbage kimchi and radish kimchi. Some people only want to make only cabbage kimchi. They sometimes ask me, “Maangchi, can you tell me how much salt do I have to use for only 1 napa cabbage?”
How can I know?

I didn’t measure when I filmed the first video recipe years ago. : ) Anyway, whenever I was asked the similar questions, I felt kind of bad and a little bit guilty and I always thought I should post a more accurate kimchi recipe.

Here you go! : )

So this recipe will be for a total beginner. Just follow the recipe step by step. This recipe is mine that I have been using for my kimchi for decades and popular among even my Korean friends.

If you want to use whole cabbage kimchi, you can check my whole cabbage kimchi recipe and this easy kimchi recipe, then you will figure out what to do. Only difference is how to handle cabbage: cutting , salting, and how to put or mix the kimchi paste with the cabbage!

Did you see how many questions and answers were made for my whole cabbage kimchi?  So far  831 comments!  These questions are the most frequently asked, so I’m letting you know this.

FAQ

Q: Maangchi, do I have to make porridge to make kimchi? If I don’t want to use porridge, what shall I do?
A: No, you don’t have to. Some people don’t use porridge, but I always make porridge to make good kimchi paste. Porridge helps hot pepper flakes, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and all spices mix together. Otherwise, the kimchi paste will be too thick to put it between cabbage leaves easily. So you can use sweet pear juice instead of making porridge if you want. I sometimes use pear to make kimchi paste, too.

Q: Why do you give a shower to the cabbage before salting? : )
A: If you sprinkle salt on cabbage directly without pre-soaking in water, the salting process will take too long: this is “osmotic pressure.”

Q: Maangchi, kimchi never goes bad? How come there is some white stuff on the top of my kimchi?
A: If you keep your kimchi properly, it won’t go bad months and months. Don’t forget to press down the top of kimchi in the container with a spoon whenever you take some. It will prevent your kimchi from being exposed to air. If you see the top of your kimchi already has white stuff (mold), remove the top layer of the kimchi and you still can eat the rest of the kimchi.

Q: Maangchi, you used squid this time! Last time your kimchi was made with raw oysters! My other Korean friends never use oysters or squid.
A: Kimchi recipes vary from region to region, so some ingredients will be different. You can follow a few different recipes and choose the best recipe that suits your taste.

Q: I’m interested in adding raw oysters or squid in my Kimchi, but afraid that it might go bad so that I may have a stomachache.
A: You should use very fresh oysters or fresh frozen product, then it will ferment along with your kimchi.

Q: Ok, Maangchi, can you tell me how to make the salty squid for kimchi?
A: Choose about 300 grams (2/3 pound) of very fresh squid. Then:

1. Remove the guts and backbone and rinse it.
  2. Add 3 tbs salt and mix it with a spoon.
  3. Put it in a container or glass jar and keep it in the refrigerator for a week.
  4. Rinse the squid thoroughly until not slippery and drain it (you can skin it if you want).
  5. Dry the squid with paper towel or cotton and chop it up.
  6. Add it to your kimchi paste!

I answer many other frequently asked questions about kinchi-making in this video:

Baechu (napa cabbage 10 pounds), salt, sweet rice flour, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, onion, fish sauce, squid, hot pepper flakes, leek, green onions, carrot, radish.

1. Trim the discolored outer leaves of 10 pounds of napa cabbage.
  2. Cut the cabbage lengthwise into quarters and remove the cores. Chop it up into bite size pieces.
  3. Soak the pieces of cabbage in cold water and put the soaked cabbage into a large basin. Sprinkle salt.
    *tip: 1 cup of salt will be used for 10 pounds of napa cabbage
  4. Every 30 minutes, turn the cabbage over to salt evenly (total salting time will be 1½ hours).
  5. 1½ hours later, rinse the cabbage in cold water 3 times to clean it thoroughly.
  6. Drain the cabbage and set aside.

Make porridge:

1. Put 3 cups of water and ½ cup sweet rice flour (chapssal garu) in a pot and mix it well and bring to a boil. Keep stirring until the porridge makes bubbles (about 5 minutes).
  2. Add ¼ cup sugar. Stir and cook for a few more mintues until it’s translucent.
  3. Cool it down.

Make kimchi paste:

1. Place the cold porridge into a large bowl. Now you will add all your ingredients one by one.
  2. Add 1 cup of fish sauce, 2.5 cups of hot pepper flakes (depending on your taste), 1 cup of crushed garlic, 1-2 tbs of minced ginger, 1 cup amount of minced onion.
    *tip: much easier to use a food processor.
  3. Wash and drain the salty squid. Chop it up and add it to the kimchi paste.
    *tip: how to prepare salty squid is posted on the FAQ above!
  4. Add 10 diagonally-sliced green onions, 2 cups amount of chopped leek, 2 cups of julienned Korean radish, and ¼ cup of julienned carrot.
  5. Mix all ingredients well and your kimchi paste is done.

Action! Mix the cabbage with the kimchi paste!

1. Put the kimchi paste in a large basin and add all the cabbage. Mix it by hand.
    *tip: If your basin is not large enough to mix all the ingredients at once, do it bit by bit.
  2. Put the kimchi into an air-tight sealed plastic container or glass jar.
    You can eat it fresh right after making or wait until it’s fermented.

I usually put all my kimchi in the fridge except for a little bit in a small container. I like fresh kimchi, so this way the kimchi in the fridge ferments slowly and stays fresh, while the smaller container ferments faster and gets sour. I use this sour kimchi for making things like kimchi jjigae where sour kimchi is better. Then, when the small container is empty, I fill it up again with kimchi from the big container. It takes a little management, but experiment and you’ll get the hang of it!

How do you know it’s fermented or not?
One or 2 days after, open the lid of the Kimchi container. You may see some bubbles with lots of liquids, or maybe sour smells. That means it’s already being fermented.

1,001 Comments:

1. Scroto Baggins earth joined 1/15
    Posted January 21st, 2015 at 9:17 pm | # |

Just finished making this recipe and used pear juice (actually it was one of those trendy health drinks with pear, pineapple, celery, kale, and some other stuff) instead of the sweet porridge and what I did to thicken it up that I didn’t read anyone else having done was add some cornstarch slurry and cook it to a gravy like consistency.

If one wants to get creative/pragmatic they could add just about any juice for the base and then thicken it up with some corn starch.

Great recipe and great site!

2. Andrimne Norge joined 1/15
    Posted January 9th, 2015 at 5:49 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi! Thank you for creating such a wonderful site with so much information, great recipes and funny, helpful and straightforward video tutorials. You rock. :) I have been trying to find out this for months and I just cannot find the answer anywhere, so I hope you can help; most kimchi recipes, including yours, state that one has to soak, salt and rinse the cabbage beforehand. However, I find it much easier to just salt all veggies, starting with the cabbage, with the amount of salt I usually use per kg of veggies, and then mix with the kimchi paste. So many state tha one HAS TO soak, salt and rinse, but no one says WHY, other than it helps wilt the cabbage. Is there any other reason(s), and is it REALLY necessary? It seems like a lot of extra work, and waste of salt. :) I have made my kimchi like I described, and it tastes wonderful (who cannot help but love freshly made kimchi…). I opened a jar from early October today, and although a bit soggy, it still tastes great. :) Hope you have time to answer my q. Thanks again for being such a fantastic resource, and warm regards from Norway.

Posted January 11th, 2015 at 11:11 am | # |

Good question! : ) The kimchi skipped salting process is kind of salad style called geotjori. To make good kimchi, the cabbage has to be salted first. Otherwise, it will easily go soggy and too watery. Salt will draw some moisture out of cabbage so that the kimchi won’t be too watery. Besides salted cabbage will keep any harmful bacteria from growing.

• Andrimne Norge joined 1/15
        Posted January 11th, 2015 at 12:20 pm | # |

Thank you for replying so quickly Maangchi! :) I agree on the cabbage becoming a bit soggy and watery. The jar I mentioned above was in a 1l Fido jar and I drained off 5 dl of kimchi juice before stuffing into a new jar. Without all the juice the flavor is deep and delicious, and surprisingly not too sour or overripe. Had some kimchi hot dog just now, oooohhhh so good! :) With regards to the bacteria I believe that this is taken care of since I add enough salt into the batch anyway. I might try the traditional approach next time and see if there is a noticeable difference. I’ll let you know. In the meantime keep up the great job with your blog. :)

3. LouiseDaniel USA joined 1/15
    Posted January 6th, 2015 at 9:38 am | # |

It’s really fantastic. I will definitely follow your recipe to make Kimchi.

4. Forest London joined 7/10
    Posted December 28th, 2014 at 6:47 am | # |

Hi Maangchi.
    Please tell me if it matters if the squid is left inside the fridge for more than a week.
    Is 12 day’s alright?
    Also, when I clean the squid and wash it, should I dry it well before salting it and leaving it for a week?
    Thanks for your help
    Gary

Posted December 28th, 2014 at 12:41 pm | # |

Hi Gary,
      “12 day’s alright?” yes, it’s ok.
      You don’t have to dry the clean squid. Just drain the water and add salt.
      Good luck!

• hanalee Vietnam joined 7/12
        Posted January 2nd, 2015 at 12:42 pm | # |

Love your kimchi recipe a lot. My family did not eat market’s kimchi any more after they ate my kimchi, the one i made from your recipe. Thank you very much Maangchi. Nowadays, my younger sister make it because i just moved to the US for living.

I am living at Houston, Texas now. I wanna make kimchi but it is not easy to choose the ingredient. Please help me tell the difference as below:

1. Salt: there were 3 kinds of salt that i saw in Hmart. One is grain of salt, another is like a foam, and the one is smaller than foam salt.

please let’s me know which one should i buy?

(when i was in Vietnam, i tried to use many kind of salt, it is too salted, and my kimchi is very soft. That is why i am afraid about this)

2. Fish sauce: please let me know what kind of fish sauce should i buy? Because when i used different fish sauce, my kimchi tasted different, too.

Thanks a lot Maangchi. Can not wait fot my kimchi .

Have a great day.

Hana

Posted January 2nd, 2015 at 5:20 pm | # |

Hi Hana,

For all my recipes I use this Kosher salt:

This is the fish sauce I use in my kimchi and soup. I think it’s the most delicious brand:

Hope your kimchi turns out delicious! my fingers are crossed!

5. afan toronto, ontario, canada joined 11/14
    Posted November 28th, 2014 at 9:58 am | # |

I made this Kimchi and just tasted it again today, day 3 of fermentation and it could use one more day on the counter top until it goes into the fridge. It didn’t stop me from making my now favourite kimchi grilled cheese for breakfast! I loved it. Tangy and spicy without bitterness. It tasted better than the one I bought from Galleria! thank you for that. I have one question: when chopping up the kimchi I find that it stains the cutting board. How can i get out that beautiful red stain?

Thanks for helping me feel confident enough to make yummy kimchi.

Posted November 29th, 2014 at 10:26 am | # |

Thank you for sharing your successful kimchi making!
      “How can i get out that beautiful red stain?” I wash my cutting board with soapy scrubber and rinse it a few times. Then the stain is gone.

6. danymeriqui Michoacan, Mexico joined 11/14
    Posted November 27th, 2014 at 5:50 pm | # |

Hi, maangchi!! I’ve looked for hot pepper flakes, the korean ones all over the place. The only place I know is 6 hours away.. what other pepper can I use instead of that? I mean… can I use any dried hot pepper and make the powder myself or is it necessary for it to be korean?? Here in mexico we have a lot of different chiles, so Idk.. have you tried the oil chile?? Can I use that for the pepper paste? It looks like this http://boletinmexico.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/chile_seco_mexico.jpg
    Should I take out all the seeds and blend it myself??? Thank you!!!!! (I tried to come up with a solution, but i just cant seem to find one, im sorry to bother you)

Posted November 29th, 2014 at 10:25 am | # |

“can I use any dried hot pepper and make the powder myself or is it necessary for it to be korean??”
      It’s difficult for me to answer your questions because I have been using Korean hot pepper flakes entire my life. But you are from the country of peppers! You may find good dried peppers. If you find any large, mild, vividly red dried peppers, they will make good hot pepper flakes for Korean cooking. As you see in my kimchi recipe, I use a lot, but it doesn’t taste very spicy.
      The pepper you uploaded looks really hot. Korean hot pepper flakes (gochu-garu) are milder. But if you can’t find any Korean grocery store in your are, use the peppers.
      I found 3 Korean grocery stores in Mexico on my website, submitted by my readers. https://www.maangchi.com/shopping/mexico

• Jaya joined 4/15
      Posted April 10th, 2015 at 12:32 am | # |

Hi Danymeriqui,
      I find that Habanero chilli has the closest flavour… a little bit fruity, even though the colour might not be the same. It’s a good substitute, as far as getting the correct flavour goes. I recommend sun dried, but you can use fresh.

7. kim333 Milledgeville, GA joined 8/11
    Posted November 23rd, 2014 at 2:00 pm | # |

I made my very first kimchi the other day, following your instructions. I used regular flour instead of rice flour and it worked great. My husband told me that I could also use a broth to make the porridge. He is the kimchi maker in the house (and the Korean), but I ran out of kimchi while he was away so I had to try my hand at it.

My kimchi turned out delicious. I like to eat some with a bit of sesame oil and sesame seeds before it has fermentated.

I love our website, Maangchi. You taught me how to cook. I love Korean food because it’s so tasty, healthy, and because there is a wide variety of delicious dishes that are quick and easy to make.

Posted November 25th, 2014 at 4:29 pm | # |

You made good kimchi without your kimchi maker’s help! : ) I’m glad to hear that! Good luck with your Korean cooking!

8. afan toronto, ontario, canada joined 11/14
    Posted November 6th, 2014 at 3:13 pm | # |

Hi Maanchi,

So i can make Kimchi with the mild coarse chilli pepper flake/powder?

thanks from a Newbie in Toronto, Canada!!!!

9. tpdullum Northwest Washington State joined 8/12
    Posted October 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 am | # |

I used this recipe to teach my nephew how to make kimchi. We’ve made it twice so far. He has watched the video several times and is able to recite all the steps when asked. We are sharing with my coworkers and foreign students. BTW, we still make your ojingeojeot every other month. Thank you for all you do.

Posted November 3rd, 2014 at 5:59 am | # |

You are a real expert on making kimchi! I would like to meet you and your nephew someday! : )

10. yanyanyap malaysia joined 5/14
    Posted October 1st, 2014 at 3:20 am | # |

Dear Maangchi,
    Finally i get it right by using the recipe you shared! thank you soooooo much!
    the kimchi taste soooo good..
    Muak Muak Muak!!

Posted November 3rd, 2014 at 6:00 am | # |

Wonderful! Congratulations!

• hidayah malaysia joined 11/14
      Posted November 27th, 2014 at 12:07 pm | # |

Hi, can i know where i can find fish sauce in Malaysia?

11. drbobl California joined 9/14
    Posted September 24th, 2014 at 4:35 pm | # |

In your FAQ for this recipe, you discuss using “300 grams (2/3 pound) of very fresh squid”. Is that quantity for 10 pounds of cabbage? There are only two of us living here, so I usually make kimchi with 1 head of cabbage at a time. How much squid should I use for that smaller recipe?

Posted September 25th, 2014 at 11:40 am | # |

It’s fermented squid and the recipe is for how to ferment squid. You can skip fermented squid in your kimchi. It will still turn out delicious.

• drbobl California joined 9/14
        Posted September 26th, 2014 at 9:20 am | # |

I’m sorry Maangchi, I probably didn’t ask the question correctly. I DO want to use fermented squid in my next batch of kimchi, but I’m not sure how much to use for 1 head of cabbage. Is there a “rule of thumb” for portions of squid, oysters, shrimp, etc. for certain quantities of kimchi?

I appreciate the recipe for fermenting the squid and I will use it also.

Thank you again for all your wonderful recipes!

drbobl

• Justin Pennsylvania, USA joined 9/14
          Posted September 29th, 2014 at 5:54 am | # |

I’m also curious about this. I live in a small apartment and I can’t make 10 lbs of kimchi at once. If I could, I’d have a kimchi fridge with hundreds of lbs of kimchi but I’m a poor student and can’t make so much at once.

If I am starting with 2 lbs of cabbage, can I divide everything by 1/5th?

12. rosiet joined 6/10
    Posted September 11th, 2014 at 3:43 pm | # |

Been trying your recipes for years now but today I finally tried to make kimichi, Firstly I must say I love the sauce. It’s ssoo good!!! It taste good it smells heavenly, oh man seriously thanks you so much for this recipe. Now I know it’s so easy I wont waste money on ready made any more!!

Took some over too my dads straight after they love it too! The smell alone have them salivating not sure it’s gonna get time to ferment hehe.

Oh also wanted to ask I have some daikon left over as I couldn’t find korean radish can I make radish kimchi with it? You know the cube one you usually get with fry chicken in SK.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!
    Cheers, again for your lovely recipe Maangchi. x

Posted September 11th, 2014 at 4:06 pm | # |

” It taste good it smells heavenly,…” wow, I almost can imagine the smell of your kimchi! : ) Congratulations! “You know the cube one you usually get with fry chicken in SK.” oh, make sweet salty sour sauce with sugar, salt, and vinegar. Then marinate the cubed or diced radish and refrigerate it in an airtight container or glass jar. You can start eating right next day.

• rosiet joined 6/10
        Posted September 11th, 2014 at 7:33 pm | # |

You star thanks for the quick reply. will make it now!!!

13. tinquynh Viet Nam joined 8/14
    Posted August 27th, 2014 at 5:02 am | # |

Hi Maangi,
    Thank you for your kimchi recipe. Can you please tell me how to keep kimchi not turning sour too fast. I often made 10 lbs cabbage, and it already sour in 2 weeks. I dont like sour kimchi. Thank you, Diem Quynh

Posted August 27th, 2014 at 3:44 pm | # |

yes, that’s normal. Kimchi will ferment in the fridge in 2 weeks. If you like to slow down fermentation, add more salt to your kimchi.

14. Jaebop California joined 5/14
    Posted August 12th, 2014 at 12:05 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi!!!

I made this mak kimchi before and it was delicious but too much for my small family. So I cut the portions in half my second time but it seems that it didn’t have enough paste. It has already been a month since I made it. If I make more paste and add it, will that help save this batch?

Thanks!

15. ina78 Jerteh, Terengganu, Malaysia joined 4/09
    Posted August 6th, 2014 at 11:02 pm | # |

Hai Maangchi….
    I would like to ask you about kimchi effect to pregnant woman, can they eat kimchi? my friend is pregnant now, and she really like kimchi but she worried about her baby….really appreciate if you can replied this or anyone can give me the answer too…TQ

16. Bailey1856 Ontario, Canada joined 7/14
    Posted July 29th, 2014 at 9:02 pm | # |

My korean friend introduce me to Kimchi and I thought it was okay but now I’m addicted. Thanks to your recipe I can now make a mean kimchi impressing even my friend who’s been eating kimchi all her life.

Posted July 31st, 2014 at 4:37 pm | # |

wow, it sounds like you really can make good kimchi! Congratulations!

17. Suesee US joined 7/14
    Posted July 24th, 2014 at 4:13 pm | # |

Dear Maangchi,
    I went to Wuajimaja yesterday to buy the ingredients to make low sodium kimchi for my mother. I am not doing it yet and waiting for a reply from you because because I am afraid that if I don’t salt the cabbage enough bad bacteria will grow and it can make my mom sick.
    Can I use 1/4 of a cup of salt instead of 1 cup to soak the cabbage?
    Would it be ok? Will cabbage turn slimy?
    Thanks!!
    Sue

Posted July 24th, 2014 at 5:12 pm | # |

Hi Sue,
      You can try using less salt but I can’t guarantee the result. Good luck!

18. Suesee US joined 7/14
    Posted July 23rd, 2014 at 1:54 pm | # |

I made Kimchee for the first time in my life yesterday using your recipe and it turned out DELICIOUS!!!
    I shared with my mother and she loved it, except she has high blood pressure (hypertension) and cannot eat things that have a high salt content. She loved your recipe so much that I would like to make a low salt version for her, but I want it to still taste good.
    I was thinking of reducing the fish sauce to 1/4 and 1/4 of the salt to soak the cabbage.

She likes fish sauce so I rather use 1/2 of the fish sauce and skip the salt soak.

However, I don’t want to compromise the kimchee in case the salt soak is used to prevent the growth of BAD bacteria. What is the purpose of the salt soak.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!
    Sue

19. Leichel-M Kenosha, Wisconsin USA joined 7/14
    Posted July 21st, 2014 at 5:11 pm | # |

The first time I had kimchi I was at the H-Mart food court. It was not very good and I was a little sad because it always looked so tasty to me.

Today I made this easy kimchi. I used your recipe from the whole leaf kimchi to make the paste (except I had to halve the ingredients because my cabbage was around 3 pounds). It turned out delicious! It was also fun and pretty relaxing to make. Thank you so much. ^^

Posted July 21st, 2014 at 9:43 pm | # |

“It was also fun and pretty relaxing to make. ” oh you seem to like cooking a lot! I’m glad that your kimchi turned out very delicious! cheers!

20. SupaPandaaa United States joined 7/14
    Posted July 20th, 2014 at 9:59 pm | # |

Hello Maangchi! I really want to make kimchi but none of the Asian markets that I’ve went to have hot pepper flakes. What can I do?

Posted July 21st, 2014 at 9:53 pm | # |

If you find any dried red peppers, you could use them to make kimchi, too. When you buy dried red peppers, choose large and mild ones. Remove the stems and soak them in cold water for 1 hour. Drain and grind them with a food processor or blender until smooth. Then you can mix it with other ingredients and make kimchi.

21. Estar Singapore joined 7/14
    Posted July 19th, 2014 at 11:41 pm | # |

I’ve never liked kimchi (too sour!) but tried making your mak kimchi for the first time and it was great fresh and not that difficult at all! Just a tip for people who use daikon radish instead of Korean radish: I was worried when the kimchi was fresh – it was bitter! But after a day of fermenting on the countertop, it lost some of its bitterness, so I think it will be fine when it fully ferments. Will keep watching your videos – they’re awesome. Thanks Maangchi!

22. seto Malaysia joined 6/14
    Posted June 18th, 2014 at 4:59 am | # |

i used to eat store-bought kimchi but living in Malaysia; the store-bought kimchi is kind of expensive. Upon reading your kimchi recipe, i decided to make it myself 2 weeks ago for the first time using your recipe and it tasted GREAT! i halved your recipe and thought that i made a pretty abundant stock for myself and my husband (at first). But in 2 weeks time, i am left with just 1/10 of the original volume. sigh. haha. (i ate it with bibimbap, made kimchi jjigae and kimchi ramyeon).

I didn’t have time to make the salted squid, so i added dried prawn in the kimchi paste. it still tasted FINE.

Thank you with all my heart, Maangchi. i will read your blog pretty much every day now.

Posted June 19th, 2014 at 9:36 am | # |

“… left with just 1/10 of the original volume”
      Yes, that’s why Koreans make huge batches of kimchi and always store them in the refrigerator.
      Dried prawn sounds great to me! It will make the kimchi juice more delicious.
      Good luck with your Korean cooking!

• yanyanyap malaysia joined 5/14
        Posted September 22nd, 2014 at 3:52 am | # |

Hi Maangchi & Seto,
        Am living in Malaysia as well :) and thanks Maangchi for the precious recipe, bought blender (finally) and tempted to try the kimchi soon!

Mind if i ask..if wanted to replace salty squid with dried prawn , what is the recommended amount? and, do i need to blend it as well ?

many thanks.

23. katty Indonesia joined 6/14
    Posted June 14th, 2014 at 10:00 am | # |

Maangchi, can i just make my kimchi with hot pepper paste?

24. badboy12345 England joined 6/14
    Posted June 2nd, 2014 at 8:19 am | # |

I am going to make kimchi on my birthday this week i can get all the Ingredients but Korean radish can i leave the radish out or use English radish instead.

Maangchi help me!

• badboy12345 England joined 6/14
      Posted June 2nd, 2014 at 8:33 am | # |

and i can not get korean hot pepper flakes what can i use instead

25. iTom Israel joined 5/14
    Posted May 23rd, 2014 at 5:24 pm | # |

Love your recipes! you are amazing! My grandmother from Uzbekistan learnt from her Korean friends in Uzbekistan how to make kimchi and I really like it! Looking forward for more recipes!
    Thank you!
    Tom

26. sasori1290 Philippines joined 9/13
    Posted May 10th, 2014 at 1:57 pm | # |

Maangchi님!!! I made my first batch of this recipe, using only 1 cabbage head… I lessen all the ingredients measurements and it turns out sooooo delicious! Instead of turning the salted cabbage head every 30 mins., I add a water on the salted cabbage and then I use a plate and a heavy object to submerge the cabbage in the water. I soak it for 2 hours.. ^_^
    진짜 맜이서요 마앙치님.. ♥ It didn’t last a month for us.. haha..

I made my 2nd batch today using 4 cabbage heads.. ^^ It was also delicious, I made it spicier than the first batch.. Thank you for sharing your recipe.. I think I couldn’t eat without having 김치 every meals… ♥

Posted May 11th, 2014 at 9:56 am | # |

Great great! : ) Congratulations! You can make your kimchi anytime you want.

• TTNN07 UK joined 6/14
      Posted June 21st, 2014 at 1:38 pm | # |

Hi ya, may I know how much of each ingredient u’ve used for 1 cabbage head plz. Thanks :)

27. elgranpiro PR - Puerto Rico joined 5/14
    Posted May 10th, 2014 at 10:53 am | # |

My wife was Korean and she died of cancer, she used to make me beef prepared with carrots strings (thin sliced) sesame seeds and would leave it in the fridge, my kids and i would pick on it, take a few bites, she would make sure there was enough for a few days and she would make this ralish kimchee I think it was called MUCHEE, would love to have both recipes PLEASE and include yakymando. thank you

• elgranpiro PR - Puerto Rico joined 5/14
      Posted March 22nd, 2015 at 1:22 pm | # |

There’s a relish that is used to make ( think it’s called Muchee, well thats what I remember calling it ), looking for the relishes name and how to prepare it, please help

28. superstitious USA joined 6/13
    Posted April 24th, 2014 at 6:13 pm | # |

Your big fan here. I have been following you (and your delicious looking food) for a long time. I made several batches of this delicious kimchi already. This time I was thinking about experimenting a bit. Of all the time I made kimchi, I opted for no squid or oyster. It still tasted great!! I’ve heard that you could use Korean salted shrimp in there as well. So I was wondering if I use the salted shrimp instead of squid or oyster, how much would I put in? Thank you so much!

Posted May 4th, 2014 at 11:56 am | # |

yes, you can use salted shrimp called saeujeot, but it’s very salty. Use just 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup for this recipe. https://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/salted-shrimp

• seascent Switzerland joined 10/14
        Posted November 2nd, 2014 at 12:53 pm | # |

Can I just clarify your reply to ‘superstitious’?

Do you mean adding 2tbsp to 1/4 cup saeujeot for this recipe IN ADDITION to the 1 cup of fish sauce used here? Or do you mean to replace the 1 cup of fish sauce with 2tbsp to 1/4 cups of saeujeot?

Thank you!

PS: I really enjoy your videos and blogs. As an Asian (Singaporean) in Europe, Korean food (and ingredients) are very hard to come by. So, we stock up on the basic Korean ingredients such as Gochugaru when we can. Through your blog, we can at least recreate some of the more common dishes. Sure helps alleviates home-sickness a lot!

• sanne Munich joined 8/14
          Posted November 3rd, 2014 at 4:48 am | # |

Hi seascent,

“As an Asian (Singaporean) in Europe, Korean food (and ingredients) are very hard to come by.”

That may be true for Switzerland, but not for Germany e.g.
          You may try shinhan-mall.de – they deliver to Switzerland, too.
          About 10 Euro per package, customs will apply – see the hints at “Versandkosten” -> “DPD SL”.
          I don’t work there, I’m just a frequent customer.

Bye, sanne.

• seascent Switzerland joined 10/14
            Posted November 4th, 2014 at 4:30 pm | # |

Hi Sanne,

Thank you for taking time out to give me a source for ingredients. I really appreciate it. Will check it out and try out this website if possible!

Cheers!
            Nicole

• sanne Munich joined 8/14
            Posted November 5th, 2014 at 6:56 am | # |

Hi Nicole,

You’re welcome. Good luck!

Bye, Sanne.

29. jelly_bear Belgium joined 4/14
    Posted April 15th, 2014 at 4:30 am | # |

Hi,
    I really want to make kimchi with the salted squid. I brought fresh sqiud and salted it for on week. It smells quite string is it ok to use it??

Thank you .
    I love this recipie!

• jelly_bear Belgium joined 4/14
      Posted April 15th, 2014 at 9:40 am | # |

Sorry for my spelling, what i meant to say was that i salted the squid for one week and it now has a very strong smell, is this normal? and can i still use it? I hope so because i really love squid.
      Thank you…..

Posted April 15th, 2014 at 10:50 am | # |

As long as you kept it in the fridge, it will be ok. Stinky squid means it’s well fermented.
      : )

• jelly_bear Belgium joined 4/14
        Posted April 16th, 2014 at 4:11 am | # |

Thank you!! I’m so happy. I love squid. I love kimchi \’^’/

• Kimchee80 Canada joined 4/14
        Posted April 18th, 2014 at 10:02 pm | # |

Hi!! I couldn’t find sweet rice flour so I bought regular rice flour does that still work?

Posted April 19th, 2014 at 2:04 pm | # |

yes, regular rice flour or even all purpose flour will work well, too.

30. Choijia Indonesia joined 4/14
    Posted April 9th, 2014 at 2:46 am | # |

Can I ask you? I try to make kimchi but I can’t find Gochugaru in my town, so I used other pepper flakes, but it turn out bad. Did the types of pepper flakes change the taste of the kimchi? Do we have to use Gochugaru to make Kimchi or we can change it with another kind of pepper flakes?

• Cutemom Indonesia joined 3/13
      Posted April 11th, 2014 at 11:04 pm | # |

Where in Indonesia do you live? Gochugaru bisa diganti bubuk cabe keriting atau bubuk cabe besar.

31. suuahmad malaysia joined 4/14
    Posted April 3rd, 2014 at 4:26 am | # |

Hi maangchi, im malay woman from malaysia, im so interested about korean food,by the way i wanna know..how long we can preserve mak kimchi in fridge.?

32. Vinthundar Horseyville joined 4/14
    Posted March 31st, 2014 at 9:03 pm | # |

I made my first kimchi yesterday! It was so easy, and it turned out delicious. I did not follow the recipe exactly (no squid or oysters) but I look forward to making it again and again. I am so excited! And my friends are excited. I already have two people who want me to make it for them.

I have so enjoyed my start with Korean cooking and the recipes I have tried here so much that I am going to start a Korean garden in my yard this summer. I have tw varieties of cabbage, perilla, chives, Korean variety of daikon. If you can think of anything else I should add, Maangchi, I would be most grateful. I am going to have a wonderful summer growing food to use in your recipes, to enjoy myself and share with my friends.

33. piperjohn3 NYC joined 12/11
    Posted March 26th, 2014 at 5:52 pm | # |

Batch number eleventy-something today–fresh oysters are my fave.

I still really enjoy making this recipe: Skrunching through lots of cabbage with a really sharp knife. The gloopy bubbles in the rice flour paste. Whizzing the garlic/ginger/onion. The tangy sweet smell of the pepper powder as it absorbs the garlicky fish sauce and turns that incredible red. Julienning the radish and carrots just the way I like them on the mandoline. More fast knife chopping. Bathing the salted down cabbage in clean icy water. And of course the pre-school fun of mixing the cabbage and paste by hand. It’s all so oddly satisfying.

I am totally beat yet again. But there’s nothing nicer than a spotless kitchen, 5 kilos of fresh kimchi in the fridge and the rice cooker playing the “I’m ready” tune.

Thanks again Maangchi!

Posted March 27th, 2014 at 12:48 pm | # |

Your description about kimchi sounds like it was written by a famous food critic! I should remember what you said when I eat my kimchi which will make me think it’s more delicious. : )

34. jasperridge San Diego, California joined 2/14
    Posted March 24th, 2014 at 7:28 pm | # |

Just wanted to say thanks for a great recipe and video/photos! My friend and I made our first kimchi on Saturday and it turned out perfectly. Even only two days later and the container on the countertop has begun fermenting nicely. It’s already tasty! The rest is in the big container in the fridge, and I’ll continue to re-fill the countertop stuff as needed ;-)

This is my first time using one of your recipes and everything went so well. The comments section provided a lot of help, too. For instance, we didn’t want to wait a week for the squid, so we substituted fresh raw oysters, as you suggested. Fantastic! Spicy, fishy, tangy: perfect!

Can’t wait to try the next recipe. And I camp all the time so I’ll be making that mackeral/kimchi stew very soon.

Posted March 25th, 2014 at 12:08 pm | # |

Thank you for sharing your kimchi making story. You and your friends made the kimchi together and waiting for it to ferment. I feel your passion through what you are saying. Congratulations!

35. ADADADA Hong Kong joined 3/14
    Posted March 20th, 2014 at 12:33 am | # |

Hello Maangchi ,
    First ,My english not very well hope you can understand what i say .
    Thank you for your recipe . I`m first time to make this kimchi ,I `ve some questions hope you can reply THANK YOU .
    I `ve finished 2 box kimchi yesterday night .1 box i stay in the room temperature, after around 6 hours and put it into the refrigerator , and the other box i put it in the refrigerator when i finished . But 2 box have too much liquids ,Is that correct ? Thank You Very Much.

36. pianistadejazz Malaysia joined 3/14
    Posted March 9th, 2014 at 11:45 pm | # |

Thank u for the recipe! I’ve tried to make kimchi using your recipe but I did not put squid. I was wondering why my kimchi become so watery after one overnight?? Is there anything wrong? Do I need to throw the watery sauce away??
    Hope to hear from your reply soon.

37. tat4fun Bandung, Indonesia joined 1/14
    Posted March 5th, 2014 at 8:17 pm | # |

Hi Maangchi, and everyone,

I’ve finished making my 1st batch (well, 1st half batch to be precise :D )

This what happened after 3 days :

I put large container in the refrigerator, and it just slightly sour, bearly not. I wonder will it getting more sour along the way?
    The small container, however, is put outside at room temperature, and become extremely sour to eat as side dish. I don’t remember to have that sour kimchi as side dish at restaurant.
    I think I have to adjust the timing in and out of refrigerator?

38. prudence Benguet joined 2/14
    Posted February 26th, 2014 at 4:28 am | # |

HI Maangchi, is it okay add shiitake mushroom?

39. reciecup Cleveland joined 2/14
    Posted February 20th, 2014 at 8:39 am | # |

I’m half korean and LOVE fresh kimchi. My mom doesnt make it often enough for me so I finally decided to start making my own korean food. I loved your recipe. However, I didnt pay attention to the batch size.. I only bought a head of cabbage but made the entire batch of paste. Of course, I didnt use the entire batch of paste to coat my cabbage. However, now I have a jar of paste left.

How long is the paste good for? Do I just need to get more cabbage now and make rest or can I store it in the frig for a while?

Thanks.

Posted February 20th, 2014 at 9:15 am | # |

No problem! Freeze the leftover kimchi paste and thaw it out when you make your next batch of kimchi.

40. ryulite Brisbane,QLD, Australia joined 2/14
    Posted February 19th, 2014 at 12:22 am | # |

just made this with fermented shrimp paste!! and i substituted hot pepper flakes (didnt went to the korean supermarket at all to grab them) for hot chilli powder and cayenne pepper (extra hot). because i had used 2.2kg of cabbage…. so everything was halved for me but the chilli amount, even though I had halved it but because of the extra spiciness of the ceyanne pepper ….. it became hot! hahaha… I cant wait to eat them and … i am really eager to use them for kimchi soup with tofu and rice!!!! thanks maangchi for all your recipes!

• ryulite Brisbane,QLD, Australia joined 2/14
      Posted February 19th, 2014 at 12:34 am | # |

i would like to send you the picture of my kimchi but am wondering how do i do that? :D

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 8 9 10 11 12