Braised Beef short ribs

Galbi jjim 갈비찜

Galbi jjim is one of the most popular Korean dishes. It’s made with beef short ribs and is often prepared for special occasions.

2 lbs (about 1 kg) of beef short ribs, water, cooking wine, soy sauce, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, green onion, onion, sesame oil, carrots, radish, shiitake mushrooms, and mulyeot (corn syrup).

1. Soak 5 shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 4-6 hours.
  2. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
  3. Boil water in a large pot. Put in the short ribs. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Take out the ribs from the boiling water and wash them with cold water to remove unnecessary fat or floating bubbles.

1. Throw away the boiling water and clean the pot.
  2. Place the clean  beef short ribs in the pot.
  3. Prepare a bowl to make seasoned water by mixing  2 cups of water, 4 tbs soy sauce, 8 cloves of minced garlic), ½ sliced onion, 1 tbs rice wine, and 1 tbs brown sugar.Add it to the short ribs in the pot.

1. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes.
  2. While it boils, you can prepare the other ingredients:
    • Cut carrot and radish into 5 cm-size cubes and round the edges to make several balls (the size of the balls should be like ping pong balls )
    • Cut the soaked shiitake mushrooms into bite size.
      *tip: You can add several skinned chestnuts and gingko nuts

1. Open the lid of the pot and add all ingredients (carrot, radish, shiitake mushrooms) to the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 hour over low heat.
    *tip: Stir the ribs and other ingredients with a wooden spoon from time to time. Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pot over top of the meat
  2. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
  3. Add 2 tbs of moolyeot (corn syrup), 1 tbs sesame oil, ½ ts black pepper, and heat it up over high heat. Mix it well until liquid evaporates
  4. Transfer galbijjim to a platter before serving.

1. mud vancouver joined 7/10
    Posted January 11th, 2011 at 2:28 am | # |

hi, dear maangchi,
    today i tried this recipe, my husband and my son really love it! thank u so so much!! i am ur fans! i always watch u cooking on tube, u doing the things so quickly.i live in vancouver of canada, next time come to visit!
    helen

Posted January 11th, 2011 at 6:16 pm | # |

Great! Nice meeting you, Helen! I’m so happy to hear that your family love your homemade galbijjim!

2. Inmi joined 11/10
    Posted November 17th, 2010 at 8:47 am | # |

Thanks for your great recipes! I’ll make galbijjim for some frieds. For how many person is this recipe?
    Thanks!

Posted November 17th, 2010 at 9:03 am | # |

This recipe is for 2 servings. If you have a party, you can spread it out over more people and serve with more side dishes.

• Inmi joined 11/10
        Posted November 21st, 2010 at 12:01 pm | # |

Thanks! What side dishes do you recommend, beside the spinach side dish and the soy bean paste soup?

3. kyo USA joined 8/10
    Posted September 28th, 2010 at 11:51 pm | # |

is corn syrup really needed for this recipe?

Posted September 29th, 2010 at 2:15 am | # |

Corn syrup or rice syrup makes galbijjim more shiny and appetizing. If it’s not available, skip it and use sugar or honey.

4. ilovekoreanfood joined 8/10
    Posted August 24th, 2010 at 2:18 pm | # |

Can I just double all the ingredients if I am making 4lbs of spare ribs?
    Thanks for the delicious recipes! My mom is a great korean chef, but she never measures anything… so this website is so helpful for beginners, like me!

Posted August 24th, 2010 at 5:31 pm | # |

yes, double all the ingredients if you make 4 pounds. I had never measured either before I started posting my recipes on YouTube : )

• Sandvichette joined 9/10
      Posted September 29th, 2010 at 2:37 pm | # |

The first time I tied this recipe, I just substituted the same amount of Honey for the Mulyeot, with delicious results!! I am actually making it again tonight, and I am using Rice syrup!

5. jaylivg Houston joined 7/10
    Posted August 14th, 2010 at 10:08 pm | # |

Maangchi , can i use pork ribs instead of beef ? or it has to be beef ??

Posted August 15th, 2010 at 8:30 am | # |

yes, you can use pork ribs, too.

• jaylivg Houston joined 7/10
        Posted August 15th, 2010 at 10:21 pm | # |

I used pork ribs today when i cooked galbijim , except the butcher cannot cut it in half for me .. so my pork ribs are pretty big LOL . My husband said ” Excellent taste ”

Thank you maangchi !

6. sassygirlsujung joined 7/10
    Posted July 16th, 2010 at 5:16 am | # |

Hi Maangchi…

I’m going to teach my friend’s hubby how to cook this one but I want to cook one more dish..What can I cook? What’s the best partner of galbijim?

7. joyeous lee lee north hollywood joined 6/10
    Posted July 6th, 2010 at 8:58 pm | # |

i just want to say i am soo glad that i found your site because everytime i tried looking for recipe for korean food it would direct e to a american site with amercanize korean cooking, i did not like it but your recipe is actually a korean recipe

thanks maanchi
    p.s how often do u add new recipe

Posted July 7th, 2010 at 1:42 am | # |

I usually post a new recipe every other week. Welcome!

8. chloegberrya joined 4/10
    Posted June 1st, 2010 at 12:53 am | # |

정말 도움 많이 얻고 있습니다 thank you

9. dcjhyunju9 Busan, South Korea joined 5/10
    Posted May 15th, 2010 at 8:53 am | # |

Hi Maagchi,

I have tried making so many dishes from your website since were in the Philippies and they all turned out good. Now were in Korea, it was a great help since we’re living with my parents-in-law. Well, im just a beginner in cooking, but with your website’s help… my family and friends say i’m a good cook (hihi..) Your english recipes are lot of help especially for foreign nationals. Searching for ingredients is also an adventure. Looking forward to more dishes… Thanks much!

Posted June 2nd, 2010 at 12:42 am | # |

“my family and friends say i’m a good cook” yay! I’m glad to hear that!

10. empresslilo28 Los Angeles joined 2/10
    Posted May 14th, 2010 at 1:46 pm | # |

can I use potato instead of the radish?

Posted June 2nd, 2010 at 12:44 am | # |

Yes, you can, but radish tastes better.

11. empresslilo28 Los Angeles joined 2/10
    Posted April 30th, 2010 at 3:01 pm | # |

do i have to be 21 to purchase the cooking wine? cause i wanna try it but idk if i could purchase it.

12. luisainfante Singapore joined 4/10
    Posted April 26th, 2010 at 5:18 am | # |

Annyong Haseyo!

I love your recipies & easy to folow videos! Its really helped me improve my cooking skills & expand my personal menu! haha…
    For this recipie, can we use pork ribs instead?

Posted April 26th, 2010 at 9:13 am | # |

Yes, I think you could replace beef ribs with pork ribs in the recipe.

13. TrickyTree Seoul joined 4/10
    Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 8:39 am | # |

Hi Maangchi

I have been using your site for a year or more now. My wife is Korean Australian and we have come back to Korea for 6 months to get married and so I can build a relationship with her parents. You have helped me out heaps as I have regularly cooked for my wifes parents when they come to visit. I am nowhere near as good as my Mother-in-Law, who is an amazing cook, but it still makes me happy that the parents enjoy my food, (heh heh… your food!!) Although, my Father-in Law thinks it is terrible that I cook and not my wife. He’s always giving her a hard time. Cooking in Australia is a passion for me, so it has been great to come here and learn all these new Korean dishes, with a lot of help from you of course.
    Anyway – my question to you. The one dish I haven’t done yet is Gamjatang. How do I ask for the Pork Spine in Korean so I can get it from the local butchers?

Once again – thank you

• TrickyTree Seoul joined 4/10
      Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 8:41 am | # |

Sorry Maangchi, wrong question, I mean how do I ask for Beef Short Ribs in Korean because I haven’t done Galbijjim yet!! Oh confusing! And can I use Doegi Galbi for Galbijjim and how do I ask for that?

Thank you!!

Posted April 23rd, 2010 at 6:15 pm | # |

“Although, my Father-in Law thinks it is terrible that I cook and not my wife. He’s always giving her a hard time..” lol, you have lovely father-in-law! He loves you! But cooking is not always for women. : )

Here are some words in Korean that you asked.
        pork neck bones: doeji mok ppyeo
        Pork spine: doeji deung ppyeo
        pork ribs: doeji galbi

14. kaychan45 Honolulu joined 4/10
    Posted April 16th, 2010 at 12:46 pm | # |

This is my first time on your website and all the recipes look so good!!!! I cant wait to make this for my BF :)

Posted April 17th, 2010 at 9:10 am | # |

Welcome to my website! Happy cooking!

15. yummytummy Cheyenne, Wyoming joined 4/10
    Posted April 4th, 2010 at 7:44 pm | # |

I was starving so I tried this recipe using the boneless beef short ribs I had in the refrigerator. I followed your recipe except I cut the boneless beef into slices across the grain and skipped the pre-boiling. Delicious. I’ll have to go out and buy me some bone-in short ribs too!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 5 6 7 8 9