Braised Beef short ribs

Galbi jjim 갈비찜

Galbi jjim is one of the most popular Korean dishes. It’s made with beef short ribs and is often prepared for special occasions.

2 lbs (about 1 kg) of beef short ribs, water, cooking wine, soy sauce, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, green onion, onion, sesame oil, carrots, radish, shiitake mushrooms, and mulyeot (corn syrup).

1. Soak 5 shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 4-6 hours.
  2. Soak short ribs in cold water in a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and change the water a few times.
  3. Boil water in a large pot. Put in the short ribs. Boil for 5-10 minutes.
  4. Take out the ribs from the boiling water and wash them with cold water to remove unnecessary fat or floating bubbles.

1. Throw away the boiling water and clean the pot.
  2. Place the clean  beef short ribs in the pot.
  3. Prepare a bowl to make seasoned water by mixing  2 cups of water, 4 tbs soy sauce, 8 cloves of minced garlic), ½ sliced onion, 1 tbs rice wine, and 1 tbs brown sugar.Add it to the short ribs in the pot.

1. Boil it over medium heat for 20 minutes.
  2. While it boils, you can prepare the other ingredients:
    • Cut carrot and radish into 5 cm-size cubes and round the edges to make several balls (the size of the balls should be like ping pong balls )
    • Cut the soaked shiitake mushrooms into bite size.
      *tip: You can add several skinned chestnuts and gingko nuts

1. Open the lid of the pot and add all ingredients (carrot, radish, shiitake mushrooms) to the pot. Let it simmer for about 1 hour over low heat.
    *tip: Stir the ribs and other ingredients with a wooden spoon from time to time. Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pot over top of the meat
  2. Open the lid and check if the meat is cooked fully. Use your chopstick to poke the meat. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough.
  3. Add 2 tbs of moolyeot (corn syrup), 1 tbs sesame oil, ½ ts black pepper, and heat it up over high heat. Mix it well until liquid evaporates
  4. Transfer galbijjim to a platter before serving.

1. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 26th, 2008 at 10:40 am | # |

Mari, Yes, you can use mirim (Korean cooking wine). I used “soju”.

2. Mari
    Posted September 26th, 2008 at 10:12 am | # |

maangchi, the cooking wine used to make galbi jjim..
    what kind did is it?
    is it 청주? or can i use mirin (미림)?

3. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 20th, 2008 at 6:37 am | # |

Thank you Nathan. You are such a great cook!

4. http://nathanscomida.blogspot.com/
    Posted September 20th, 2008 at 2:18 am | # |

I gave your blog a award on my blog post :)

5. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 18th, 2008 at 10:44 pm | # |

Jimin,
    I don’t think using a slow cooker is a good idea. All the vegetables will be overcooked and mushy. If you like to use a slow cooker, you will have to cook beef ribs first for hours and later add the vegetables and cook more. Then heat it up to evaporate liquid before serving.

6. Jimin
    Posted September 18th, 2008 at 9:16 pm | # |

Have you tried this galbi jjim in a slow cooker.

Do you think I cud simply put all the ingredients in before i leave for the office, and then come home to a wonderful galbi jjim dinner in the evenning?

• shangfrancisco Shanghai joined 2/16
      Posted February 27th, 2016 at 5:51 am | # |

Hi Jimin,

I used a slow cooker and withheld the vegetables until about 90 minutes before serving time. I finished the dish by transferring everything to a pot and sauteeing with mulyeot, sesame oil, and black pepper (as Maangchi recommends). It turned out fantastic!!!

7. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 17th, 2008 at 11:27 pm | # |

Ami,
    I really would like to join your 4 people party to eat the pork short ribs there! It sounds like real fun!

8. Ami
    Posted September 17th, 2008 at 11:15 pm | # |

Maangchi, I made a Pork Short Ribs version today ^_^ I was stuck at home ’cause of Hurricane Ike and I found in my fridge some big pork ribs. I immediately thought of this recipe and tried it out. I didn’t have everything on hand (even the main ingredient, beef hahaha), so I made a version of pork-carrot-sweet potato. The potato is a mistake b/c they get too soft after 30 min. Thus the dish looks rather muddy. Nevertheless, it’s very flavorful!! We 4 people finish a whole big pot in 1 dinner ^_^ I can’t wait to try the beef version.

I typed a bit too long for a thank-you note, didn’t I hehe oh, and i like your han-bok :X

9. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 16th, 2008 at 11:15 pm | # |

Hi, james,
    Get some better ribs with lots of meat. : )

10. james
    Posted September 16th, 2008 at 9:38 pm | # |

it looks like there is so little meat. i would have to triple this recipe to get full! hehe

11. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 16th, 2008 at 3:55 pm | # |

oh, ok, I will find some photos from the video and post it here. Thanks for your suggestion!

12. pozygal87
    Posted September 16th, 2008 at 1:20 pm | # |

hi maangchi,
    just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have pictures of the dish you cooked. like how it looked. :)
    btw, LOVE your recipes :)

13. Anonymous
    Posted September 13th, 2008 at 10:59 pm | # |

Thanks Maangchi !!! I have been waiting for you to do Galbi Jjim.

14. Maangchi New York City joined 8/08
    Posted September 12th, 2008 at 4:37 pm | # |

VB,
    Yes, I heard about it from one of my new Chinese friends in NYC! Thanks!

15. VB
    Posted September 12th, 2008 at 10:11 am | # |

Sept 14 is the Chinese Mooncake Festival too! We hv traditional and new-style snowskin mooncakes with all sorts of crazy fillings! Also, we eat little dumplings like the ones u made but ours is in sweet soup. Wishing u Happy Chuseok!

ps. Han-bok he-say-yo!!!!