Hot and spicy rice cake

Tteokbokki 떡볶이

When I lived in Korea I learned the secret to making good tteokbokki from a famous place in a market. It was run by an old lady who could always be found stirring her tteokbokki. People were lined up to buy it.

I saw she used dried anchovies in her stock, and that ingredient made a huge difference in the flavor.

I once ran out of dried anchovies and made tteokbokki without it. It didn’t taste at all like what I was expecting. So don’t forget to always make a good stock with dried anchovies when you make this!

1. Add the water, dried anchovies, and dried kelp to a shallow pot or pan.
  2. Boil for 15 minutes over medium high heat without the lid.anchovy stockanchovy stock
  3. Combine hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, and sugar in a small bowl. Remove the anchovies and kelp from the pot and add the rice cake, the mixture in the bowl, the green onion, and the optional fish cakes and hard boiled eggs. The stock will be about 2 ½ cups. ddeokbokkiddeokbokkiddeokbokkie
  4. Stir gently with a wooden spoon when it starts to boil. Keep stirring until the rice cake turns soft and the sauce thickens and looks shiny, which should take about 10 -15 minutes. If the rice cake is not soft enough, add more water and continue stirring until soften. When you use freshly made rice cake, it takes shorter time. If you use frozen rice cake, thaw it out and soak in cold water to soften it before cooking.ddeokbokki
  5. Remove from the heat and serve hot.

ddeokbokki

1. pieter Amsterdam, Netherlands joined 7/17
    Posted July 31st, 2017 at 1:39 pm | # |

Made the broth with the small dried anchovies, they sell here. About 15 like you recommended. And the kelp. The sauce turned out to be deeeply delicious! Thanks Maangchi

See full size image

Posted August 7th, 2017 at 11:21 am | # |

I’m happy to hear that you like the broth made with anchovies. Yes, I always use dried anchovies to make tteokbokki. Yours looks so delicious! Even the egg looks amazing!

2. Baechu Philippines joined 7/17
    Posted July 12th, 2017 at 1:12 am | # |

Hi! Maangchi! Is it okay to make this without the dried kelp and hot pepper flakes? Thank you!

3. Baegelz Vietnam joined 6/17
    Posted June 29th, 2017 at 8:40 am | # |

Thanks Maangchi! I made this with my grandma and we had lots of fun, there was a little trouble with the garaeddeok dough (how do you spell it haha) so it’s not that evenly sized, but it’s still so delicious, and also by the way, my grandma made a few twists to it, like adding cheese flavouring to the dough and replacing anchovies with anchovy fish sauce. She tried to make it many times before but only your recipe works Maangchi! Thanks again!

See full size image

Posted July 1st, 2017 at 11:17 am | # |

I’m so happy to hear that you and your grandma work together to make nice, delcious, tteokbokki! What a lovely scene!

4. negar98 Iran joined 5/17
    Posted June 7th, 2017 at 7:23 pm | # |

hi maangchi. thanks for your perfect resipe. Here is the tteokbokki that I cooked. this was my first korean food. and I made rice cake and fish cakes myself.

See full size image

Posted June 9th, 2017 at 12:24 am | # |

Congratulations! I’m so impressed that you made such delicious tteokbokki with your homemade rice cake and fish cakes!

5. Sio lover Ksa joined 12/16
    Posted June 6th, 2017 at 1:14 pm | # |

I got the short grain rice flower its wow now and its sooooo spicy and chewy

See full size image

Posted June 9th, 2017 at 12:33 am | # |

Amazing! I can see the rice cake looks so smooth and chewy!

6. Sio lover Ksa joined 12/16
    Posted May 16th, 2017 at 4:10 pm | # |

I didnt know that it tastes delicious with beef and noodles thanks maangchi ❤

See full size image

7. HappyFood Melbourne, Australia joined 5/17
    Posted May 5th, 2017 at 9:45 pm | # |

I love your recipe for tteokbokki. The anchovy/kelp broth adds a wonderful depth. I also want to add that your youtube channel is brilliant. Korean food makes me feel so happy. Yesterday I cooked tteokbooki, miyuk soup, a seaweed side dish and doenjang stew. Yes, I kind of went overboard. It is the best comfort food during Melbourne’s cold weather.

Thank you for inspiring me. It also helped that KT Mall opened up nearby with all the relevant ingredients. I’m still deliberating if I should make jajangmeyon today, or pace myself!

What I love about Korean food is not only the variety, but the combination of vegetables, spice and garlic.

Thank you for being such a wonderful teacher.

8. Basoma Kuwait joined 4/16
    Posted April 11th, 2017 at 8:47 am | # |

안녕하세요?
    Maangchi,, today I’ll make Tteokbokki but I don’t have dried anchovies and kelp what can I use instead of it?

9. Sio lover Ksa joined 12/16
    Posted March 28th, 2017 at 3:23 pm | # |

Thats the best time I did it its awesome and sooo chewy so spicy and it melts inmy mouth

See full size image

Posted April 4th, 2017 at 5:03 pm | # |

Your tteokbooki looks so spicy, savory, juicy, and chewy! Yum!

10. O, Joo-Hwan Las Vegas, Nevada USA joined 2/17
    Posted March 15th, 2017 at 9:22 am | # |

Another new recipe. Got my super size rice cakes from a special stand near the supermarket. This is really good. And it really does remind me of the texture of mozzarella sticks. I went straight rice cakes for this first try. Hard to describe the flavors as savory and sweet compete for my attention.

See full size image

11. Pim Portland, OR joined 3/17
    Posted March 11th, 2017 at 7:24 pm | # |

I’ve made this so many times using your recipe and will continue doing so! Each time I tried different types of fish cakes :) and I always add noodles (my husband loves it!). Thank your for the recipe!

12. H7zAngel Murfreesboro, Tennessee USA joined 12/14
    Posted February 14th, 2017 at 5:04 pm | # |

I decided to make tteokbokki today for my daughter and I am going to serve it to her as part as her Valentine Dinner. It is a bit sweet but once you eat about 5 pieces the hot hits the back of your throat and lips from the sauce. My daughter likes the tteokbokki sauce thick so I cook it a little longer than what is said.

See full size image

Posted February 16th, 2017 at 11:08 am | # |

It looks so yummy! “My daughter likes the tteokbokki sauce thick so I cook it a little longer than what is said.” You did a great job!

13. Mdefields Indiana joined 1/17
    Posted February 13th, 2017 at 6:46 pm | # |

Nummy!! I didn’t have anchovies, so I used dried shitaki mushrooms instead. Not an egg fan, so omitted those. It tastes great!

See full size image

14. bny Hungary joined 1/17
    Posted January 18th, 2017 at 10:36 am | # |

Hello! 안녕하세요!
    I just finished now with my tteokbokki. It’s yummy but i’m sure i can do it better later so i will keep making it. ;) I didn’t have anchovy and kelp so i used my mom’s bone soup for broth.
    It’s my first time making tteokbokki but not the first time eating it.
    Thank you Maangchi for inspiring with the recipe! ^^

15. Xara E MO, USA joined 1/17
    Posted January 2nd, 2017 at 4:28 pm | # |

Tried this today. Made the rice cake yesterday, and boiled it with sauce this afternoon. So yummy! Used bonito flakes since I don’t have anchovy. Mmmmmm!

See full size image

Posted January 3rd, 2017 at 10:49 am | # |

wow, it looks very tasty with delicious looking broth! You made this with your homemade rice cake! Fantastic!

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 27 28 29 30