Korean style grilled beef is served with green onion salad, a mixture of bean paste and hot pepper paste called “Ssam Jaang”. You wrap it all up into a leaf of lettuce and pop it into your mouth. You can dip some pieces of cucumber and carrot into the spicy paste.
- 1 pound of beef (tenderloin or sirloin)
- lettuce, green onions
- garlic, salt, black pepper, sugar, sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- soy sauce
- hot pepper flakes
- hot pepper paste (“gochuchang”)
- soybean paste (“doenjang”)
- Cut beef into bite-sized pieces, ½ inch in thickness, and put them in a bowl. Add 1 ts of salt, a pinch of ground black pepper, and 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it with your hand. Set it aside when you’re done.
- Make ssam Jaang (dipping sauce) by mixing the following ingredients: 1tbs of hot pepper paste, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tbs of chopped green onion, 1 tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
That’s it! You made a very nice dipping sauce!
- Make seasoned green onion (“pajuhri”)
- Slice 8 green onions thinly, in 5 cm lengths. Cut them into thin strips
- Rinse the sliced green onion in running water. Drain it and set it aside.
- Make sauce by mixing 2 tbs of soy sauce, 1 tbs of hot pepper flakes, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame seeds, and 1 tbs of sesame oil.
- Add the green onions to the sauce and mix it up with a spoon.
Are you ready to cook?
- Slice up a dozen of cloves garlic (each clove should be sliced 3 or 4 times) and place them in a small bowl.
- Cut carrots and cucumbers into bite-sized sticks for dipping.
- On a heated grill or pan, drizzle some sesame oil to prevent meat from sticking onto the grill and to give it good flavor.
- Add chunks of meat and sliced garlic using your tongs and cook.
- When it’s cooked, wrap a piece of beef and garlic in a leaf lettuce. Add some dipping sauce and pop it into your mouth. All you can do is chewing and enjoying the delicious taste! Don’t forget to think about me while enjoying the food!
*tip: Beef can be replaced with thinly sliced pork belly which is called “samgyupsal gui”