Makes 2-3 servings. Cooking time: 2 hours.
Gamjatang (pork bone soup) is another Korean traditional nutritious dish. It’s usually made with pork spine bones and vegetables, but I use pork neck bones in this recipe.
Pork neck bones, onion, garlic, ginger, dried shiitake mushrooms, napa cabbage, potatoes, soy bean sprouts, Asian chives (buchu), green onions, perilla leaves, dried red chili pepper, soybean paste, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, cooking wine, perilla seeds powder (deulkkae garu), fish sauce
- Soak 2.5 lb (about 1 kg) of pork neck bones in cold water for 2 hours.
- Boil water in a large pot.
- Put ¼ of a medium sized napa cabbage (about 2-3 cups) into the boiling water and blanch it for a minute.
- Rinse and drain the cabbage and put it in a bowl.
- Tear each leaf lengthwise once or twice to make it bite size and set it aside.
- Rinse pork neck bones in cold water and put them in boiling water with 4-5 slices of ginger (1 tbs). Cook for 7 minutes.
- Rinse and strain the pork neck bones and put them in a large pot.
*tip: when you rinse the pork bones, pick out any excessive fat
- Pour 10 cups of water into the pot.
- Add 1 medium size sliced onion, 1 tbs of sliced ginger, 2 tbs of soy bean paste, 1 dried red chili pepper (after removing the seeds), and 2 dried shiitake mushrooms to the pot. Boil it for 1. 5 hours over medium high heat.
- Prepare a small bowl to make the sauce! In the bowl, put 6-8 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tbs of hot pepper flakes, 1 tbs of hot pepper paste, 3 tbs of cooking wine, 3 tbs of fish sauce, 3 tbs of perilla seeds powder (deulkkae garu) and mix it all up.
- Prepare a large bowl for vegetables
* Squeeze the cooked cabbage slightly to drain some of the water, and put it into the bowl.
* Cut about 10 perilla leaves into bite sized pieces and put them into the bowl.
* Cut 2 stalks of green onion and Asian chives (2-3 cups worth) into 7 cm long pieces and put them into the bowl.
* Rinse and drain 2 cups of soy bean sprouts and put them into the bowl.
* Peel 3 small potatoes and put them into the bowl.
Now you made the sauce and prepared all the vegetables. All you can do is to wait until the pork neck bone soup is finished cooking.
- About 1 ½ hours later, take the red hot chilli pepper and shiitake mushrooms out of the pot.
- Slice shiitake mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
- Add your vegetables and your sauce and the chopped shiitake mushrooms into the soup. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, transfer the soup into a serving bowl and sprinkle some chopped green onions and ground pepper.
*tip: If you have an earthenware bowl, put the soup into it and heat it up until it sizzles. Sprinkle some chopped green onions and ground pepper!
- Serve with rice and kimchi or some side dishes!