Yay, it’s time to have party with this dish! : )
Galbijjim is a popular Korean dish made with beef short ribs and it’s considered an unskippable dish on special occasions in Korea. I uploaded my traditional galbijjim video a long time ago, in 2008! This is a newer version that I developed that’s very easy, simple, and quick to make. It’s very juicy, tender, and sweet.
Enjoy the recipe and let me know how yours turns out!
Cooking time: about 1 ½ hours
- 2 pounds of beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat. Score them down to the bone a few times. Rinse, soak in cold water, and drain.
- 1 large onion (1½ cups’ worth), pureed
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bosc pears (about 1½ cups’ worth), peeled, cored, and pureed
- 2 ts worth of ginger, minced
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ½ ts ground black pepper
- 1 ts sesame oil
- 1 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- green peas and pine nuts for garnish (optional)
- Blanch the ribs in boiling water for 5 minutes. Rinse them in cold water and drain.
- Put the ribs in a heavy bottomed pot. Add onion, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, pears, soy sauce, ground black pepper, and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Give it a good stir and turn down the heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Open the lid and turn up the heat. Keep stirring and cooking until the ribs turn shiny and the juice is almost gone.
- Add green peas for color (optional) and transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and pine nuts.
Serve with rice, kimchi, soup, and more side dishes if you want.