Bibimbap

비빔밥
Rice mixed with vegetables, meat, an egg, and chili pepper paste

Today’s recipe is bibimbap, a super-popular Korean dish you might have heard about already! It’s made of a bowl of rice, sautéed and seasoned vegetables (namul: 나물), a bit of hot pepper paste (gochujang: 고추장), and usually a bit of seasoned raw beef, too (yukhoe: 육회).

Bibim (비빔) translates as “mixed,” and bap (밥) means “cooked rice,” so bibimbap literally means “mixed rice.” Before eating it you’re supposed to mix everything all together.

There are many variations on this dish, from simple to elaborate, and this recipe I’m showing you today is for one you could consider “classic” bibimbap. If you ordered bibimbap in a Korean restaurant, you would probably get something like this dish, with regional variations. I’m also going to show you bibimbap prepared and served in a heated stone or earthenware bowl called dolsot-bibimbap (돌솥비빔밥). “Dolsot” means “stone pot” in Korean, and this version is well-known for the way the bowl makes a layer of crispy, crackling rice on the bottom of the bibimbap.

Even though we mix up bibimbap before we eat it, each ingredient needs to be prepared with care and individuality, bringing out their unique flavors, textures and colors so they come together beautifully in the bowl and deliciously in your mouth. The different ingredients aren’t random, they’re chosen because they balance, harmonize, and offset each other.

This recipe isn’t quick and easy, it takes some time to make. But if you’re really in a rush you can make a great bibimbap with the soybean sprouts, spinach, and carrot (or red bell pepper, or both), and gochujang, sesame oil, and an egg— those items are unskippable!

I’m going to share some more bibimbap recipes on my website in the future, and you’ll see how many different variations there are. This version is a little different than the version in my cookbook, because I make a quick and simple soup with the bean sprouts. When I started my YouTube channel, bibimbap was one of the first recipes I made, because it’s such an essential dish in Korean cuisine. So I’m happy to remake the video now in HD with much better editing and instruction. I’ve been building up to this video by remaking videos for the ingredients, too. I remade yukhoe, and sigeumchi-namul, and my yukagaejang video has a lot of detail about preparing the mountain vegetable fernbrake.

So if you’ve been following my videos, you’re now ready to be a bibimbap master! Ready? Let’s start!

Ingredients (serves 4)

How to prepare dried fernbrake (gosari) for use

If you have presoaked or fresh fernbrake you can use it straight away, but if you have dried fernbrake you’ll need to get it ready to eat. It’s fast if you have a pressure cooker, but if you don’t it will take some time.

With a pressure cooker:

1. Wash ½ ounce of dried gosari and boil it with 5 cups of water in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes.
  2. Drain and rinse in cold water a couple of times.
  3. Drain. It should make 4 ounces.

In a pot on the stove:

1. In a large saucepan add ½ ounce of dried gosari to 7 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 30 minutes. Cover and let stand until cool, about 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Rinse the fernbrake a couple of times, drain and put in a bowl. Cover with fresh cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight in a cool place, changing the water 2 or 3 times during the soaking.gosari
  3. Taste the gosari: It should be soft. If it’s tough, boil it again in a fresh pot of water for about 20 minutes and then let it sit, covered, until soft.
  4. Drain. It should make 4 ounces.

Make rice

If you have a usual method for making rice or have a rice cooker, go ahead and make 5 cups of rice like you usually do. But here’s how I do it on a pot on the stove. 2 cups of dried rice makes about 5 cups of cooked rice.

1. Rinse 2 cups of rice in cold water and scrub the wet rice with your hand. Rinse and drain until the drained water is pretty clear.
  2. Put the rice in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add 2 cups of water, cover, and soak for 30 minutes.
  3. Cook over medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes until the surface is covered with abundant bubbles that are spluttering noisily and look like they’re about to overflow the pot. Turn the rice over a few times with a spoon and cover the pot again.
  4. Turn the heat to very low and simmer for another 10 minutes until the rice is fully cooked and fluffy. Remove from the heat.
  5. Fluff the rice with a spoon to release excess steam. Let the rice stand, covered, at room temperature to keep it warm.

Prepare and cook the ingredients for bibimbap

I like to get a big platter and then put each vegetable on it as they’re ready. I think it looks really pretty, but you don’t have to do this. When all vegetables are prepared and ready to use, the platter looks pretty delicious!

Soybean sprouts:

1. Put the soy bean sprouts in a pot and add 4 cups water and 2 or 3 teaspoons salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat. Take out the sprouts with tongs and put them into a bowl, leaving about ½ cup of sprouts in the pot with the water you used to boil them. This is the soup to serve with bibimbap later.bibimbap kongnamul
  2. In a bowl, mix the sprouts by hand with ½ teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, and 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Put them on the large platter.

Spinach:

1. Cut up the blanched spinach a few times and put it in a bowl. Mix by hand with 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Cover and put it next to the soy bean sprouts on the platter.

Other fresh vegetables:

1. Cut the carrot into matchsticks, put them in a bowl, and mix with a pinch of salt. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until sweating.bibimbap carrot
  2. Cut the red bell pepper into halves, deseed, and slice into strips. Put them in a bowl.
  3. Cut the zucchini into matchsticks and mix with ½ teaspoon salt.
  4. Cut the cucumber into halves lengthwise and slice thinly crosswise. Mix with ¼ teaspoon salt.

Beef:

1. Cut the beef into matchsticks and put them in a bowl.
  2. Mix with 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds with a spoon.bibimbap yukhoe
  3. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to use.

Mountain vegetables:

1. Cut the fernbrake (gosari) a few times into bite size pieces. Set aside.
  2. Put the bellflower roots (doraji) in a large bowl. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons salt. Rub for a minute to wilt slightly and release some of the bitterness. Rinse them in cold water a couple of times and drain. If you find some roots are too thick, split them lengthwise. Set aside.

Let’s cook!

1. Heat up a pan over medium high heat. Squeeze out excess water from the carrot. Add a few drops of cooking oil to the pan and sauté the carrot for 1 minute. Put it on the platter next to the soy bean sprouts and spinach. Clean the pan with wet paper towel or wash it.
  2. Heat a few drops of cooking oil in the pan and squeeze out the excess water from the cucumber. Sauté with ½ teaspoon minced garlic and a few drops of sesame oil for 30 seconds. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  3. Heat up the pan with a few drops of cooking oil. Add the red bell pepper and sprinkle a pinch of salt over top. Sauté for 30 seconds. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  4. Heat up the pan and squeeze out excess water from the zucchini. Add a few drops of cooking oil and sauté with 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped green onion, a drop of sesame oil for 1 minute until slightly softened. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.
  5. Heat up the pan with a few drops of cooking oil. Add the bellflower roots and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium so as not to brown them. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and a drop of sesame oil. Stir for another minute until a little softened. Put it on the platter. Clean the pan.bellflower root (doraji)
  6. Heat up the pan. Add a few drops of cooking oil. Stir the gosari for 2 minutes until a little softened. Add ½  teaspoon of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons sugar, and keep stirring for another minute. Put it on the platter.

bibimbap vegetables

Serve

Here are a couple of ways to serve: bibimbap in a regular, shallow bowl, and dolsot-bibimbap in a stone or earthenware bowl.

In a regular, shallow bowl

1. Reheat the soybean sprout soup.soup
  2. Divide the cooked rice into 4 portions. Each portion will be a little more than 1 cup of rice.
  3. Put the rice in each of 4 bowls and arrange the vegetables and beef on the rice. Top with the egg yolk and gochujang. If you prefer your eggs and beef cooked, make sunny side up eggs and slightly pan-fry the beef before putting them on the top of rice.
  4. Sprinkle the bibimbap with the sesame seeds and drizzle with sesame oil to taste.
  5. Ladle the soup to a small bowl and sprinkle some chopped green onion over top.
  6. Serve right away with more hot pepper paste on the side.bibimbap

Dolsot-bibimbap in an earthenware bowl (ttukbaegi) or stone pot (dolsot)

1. Reheat the soybean sprout soup.
  2. Put a few drops of sesame oil in the bottom of each of 4 earthenware bowls. They should be big enough to hold 4 to 6 cups each.
  3. Divide the rice among the bowls. Arrange the vegetables and beef on the rice. Top each serving with an egg yolk and 1 tablespoon gochujang. If you prefer your eggs and beef cooked, make sunny side up eggs and slightly pan-fry the beef before putting them on the top of rice.
  4. Set each pot on a burner. Heat over medium high heat until you hear a ticking, crackling sound coming from the rice.dolsot-bibimbap
  5. Sprinkle the bibimbap with the sesame seeds, drizzle with sesame oil to taste.
  6. Ladle the soup to a small bowl and sprinkle some chopped green onion over top.
  7. Serve right away with more hot pepper paste on the side.gochujang

Eat

1. Gently but firmly mix everything together in the bowl with your spoon. Try not to crush the more delicate ingredients.bibimbap mixing
  2. Eat with your spoon.

1. LizzyBennet Michigan joined 3/12
    Posted March 22nd, 2012 at 7:56 pm | # |

Maangchi,

Kind of weird to say it, but I started watching Korean tv last summer and liked the look of the food so much I wanted to try making it. I’m allergic to wheat, and a lot of food I can regularly get is not something I can eat, so I’ve been leaning very Asian in my choices, and was SO HAPPY to discover your blog. I have always like Asian food, but Korean is my favoritest of the favorites, and so far Bibimbap has been my favorite recipe to try. Pepper paste is amazing stuff!!!! And as far as I’m concerned, Korean food has the perfect amount of spice; enough that you definitely know it’s there, but not so much that you can’t taste what you’re eating.

Thanks so much, and know that I’ll be making a lot of your recipes. The videos really help me, so much!!! You gave me an epiphany with the matchstick chopping of vegetables – I was really doing it the wrong way before I watched your video and it took about three times as long. Thanks a HEAP!

-Elizabeth

Posted March 23rd, 2012 at 11:44 am | # |

It’s great to hear that my video helped you practice your knife skills!

2. RachelLeigh United States joined 3/12
    Posted March 20th, 2012 at 4:47 pm | # |

This looks so good! Maybe someone else asked and I just missed it, but do you have to use shiitake mushrooms? They aren’t sold anywhere around here, all I can find in stores is Portabello mushrooms. :(

• jaylivg Houston joined 7/10
      Posted March 21st, 2012 at 2:52 pm | # |

Where in US are you ?? check out your big grocery store , most grocer now carries shiitake mushroom . But like Maangchi said , you can use white button mushroom too ( this is the most common mushroom sold in US ) , portobello mushroom would be okay too i would think .. she said any kind of vegetables you like too .

• RachelLeigh United States joined 3/12
        Posted March 22nd, 2012 at 12:02 pm | # |

I’m in south Texas, about an hour away from Corpus Christi. Boy I feel like an idiot, NOW I see the comment about the white mushrooms. -_- I wonder if it would taste the same to just use white mushrooms to make Japchae? I’ve had the noodles forever, I just can’t find the mushrooms. I’ve even had the produce guys searching all over the store to find some and they had no luck.

• jaylivg Houston joined 7/10
          Posted March 22nd, 2012 at 5:08 pm | # |

Have you checked HEB and Kroger ? I am currently in Houston , not too far from you :D i found both grocery store carry Shiitake mushroom , although they’re quite expensive compared to korean market . I’ve used white mushroom plenty of times before , without shiitake , and it still tastes good . Shiitake is a lot better mushroom than plain old white , but when you don’t have it .. you just have to do with what you have on hand :)

3. Ericka1 kingston, ny joined 2/12
    Posted February 21st, 2012 at 6:04 pm | # |

Thank you so much Maanchi! Your videos are fun and very helpful!
    I used to live in NYC and loved going to Koreatown to enjoy some great BBQ but I moved out of the city and there was nowhere to get it. I tried your recipe tonight and tried a variation to make it similar to Dolsot Bi Bim Bop by adding the cooked rice to a cast iron pot then adding the vegetables and eggs because I do not have the proper pots and it came out perfect – thanks to you!!!

Posted February 22nd, 2012 at 9:23 am | # |

yay, you did a great job to make dolsot bibimbap! Before adding the cooked rice to the pot, I would drizzle a few drops of sesame oil.

• Ericka1 kingston, ny joined 2/12
        Posted February 24th, 2012 at 10:47 pm | # |

Thank you so much! I will do that next time!

4. Niemamiejsca Poznań, Poland joined 2/12
    Posted February 20th, 2012 at 3:43 pm | # |

Great recipie, great music

5. theresemade Long Beach, CA joined 2/12
    Posted February 12th, 2012 at 9:11 pm | # |

I love Bibimbap and was craving it badly yesterday. Luckily, I found your blog for the recipe. It’s so critical to have that pepper paste for the sauce! Thanks to your blog, I made my first official Bibimbap! It was delicious.

Posted February 13th, 2012 at 6:24 pm | # |

Congratulations on your successful bibimbap making! “It’s so critical to have that pepper paste for the sauce!” and sesame o~il! : )

6. KarmaP Denver joined 12/11
    Posted December 16th, 2011 at 5:07 am | # |

This looks great and I want to try and make it! Only problem is that I cook only for myself as I live alone and I like making meals for several days. Is any of this good reheated for a few days? If so how do you store it and heat it up?

Posted December 17th, 2011 at 11:47 am | # |

Yes, you can keep each vegetable in different containers in the fridge for a couple of days until you make bibimbap again.

7. chef Benedict Manila, Philippines joined 11/11
    Posted November 19th, 2011 at 7:53 am | # |

Bibimbap, is another one of my favorite Korean dish. I first tried it in Korean Air, inside the airplane and it was packed also and i really like this dish. one of my favorite dishes. it is very nutritious and good for your health. Even in Korea in an earthenware pot. The dish is really complete there is beef, vegetables and rice even egg sometimes plus hot pepper paste. combined really heavenly taste.

8. anhvo Minnesota joined 10/11
    Posted November 10th, 2011 at 10:04 pm | # |

I have a question, can you skip the kosari if you can’t find any ?

Posted November 10th, 2011 at 10:25 pm | # |

Yes, you can skip kosari. It will still be delicious! Good luck with making delicious bibimbap!

• anhvo Minnesota joined 10/11
        Posted November 11th, 2011 at 10:35 pm | # |

And instead of using pepper paste, can I use the Sriracha sauce instead ? I find it SUPER SPICY for my taste ! hehe .

9. Alunamora Missouri joined 10/11
    Posted October 29th, 2011 at 4:23 pm | # |

This is sooo good! Thank you so much for your recipes! I hope you know that everyone here really appreciates the hard work you do, and we love you! Bibimbap is one of my favorite recipes because I can make it for one person. I love that it has everything in one nice, big bowl.

Posted November 10th, 2011 at 10:26 pm | # |

Great news! yummy yummy bibimbap! : )

10. samuel Philippines joined 9/11
    Posted September 9th, 2011 at 3:37 am | # |

Today is my first day to join in your blog. OMG your blog is magnificent and very informative. i cook bibimbop here where i work and we also use kosari (fiddlehead). is there only one kind of kosari? my boss always buy dried kosari and we soak it for days (changing water everyday) before cooking it. sometimes i encounter very hard and thick kosari. any alternative or can you teach me how to identify good quality kosari from thick and hard one while they are in dried form?
    Thank you very much and learned many things from your blog.

11. wiDy jakarta,, indonesia joined 8/11
    Posted August 20th, 2011 at 9:08 am | # |

My dearest maangchi,,
    I made my own bibimbab! \(^o^)/ hehe..
    Thanks for the recipe.. 잘먹겠슴니다!

Posted August 20th, 2011 at 9:32 am | # |

yay your bibimbap photo is here! https://www.maangchi.com/photo/widys-bibimbab
      beautiful presentation!

• wiDy jakarta,, indonesia joined 8/11
        Posted August 31st, 2011 at 9:11 am | # |

Dear maangchi,,

Remember my first bibimbab? I think I put to much garlic on it,,haha.. So today,, I try to make another one,, carefully not to make the same mistake twice..

But since I’m hungry,,rather than cook the vegetables separately,, I just cook them all at once,,hehe.. I call it my emergency bibimbab..

It’s turned out delicious though! Yeayy! I think practices really make perfect.. ;)

Posted August 31st, 2011 at 9:26 am | # |

haha! Emergency bibimbap sounds great! Actually I often make my bibimbap that way! : )

12. jpb123 usa joined 8/11
    Posted July 31st, 2011 at 9:11 pm | # |

Thanks for posting this up here! It turned out wonderfully. :)

13. Holland Oppa phoenix, arizona joined 7/11
    Posted July 24th, 2011 at 1:43 am | # |

OMIGAWD!!! I wish I had a big bowl like you Maangchi-nunna! Question how do you make your red chili paste. mine never comes out quite like yours?

14. lukaaleeya malaysia joined 7/11
    Posted July 4th, 2011 at 5:28 am | # |

hi, i’m new here but i’ve tried your kimchi recipe yesterday and it turn out well,, my housemates love it. this is the first time i make kimchi from the scratch,thanks so much for the recipe, anyway i have question for bibimbap recipe, do you use salty soy sauce or sweet soy sauce???

More comments to read! Jump to page: 1 11 12 13 14 15