Cucumber kimchi is made by turning a cucumber into a pocket and stuffing it with vegetables and kimchi paste. It’s delicious, and goes well with radish soup. I’ll show you how to make both of them for one perfect, well-balanced, low-calorie meal.
- 6 cucumbers (10-12 kirby cucumbers)
- carrot (shredded ¼ cup)
- onion (¼ cup), green onions, Asian chives (2 cups)
- garlic, fish sauce
- hot pepper flakes, sugar.
- Wash cucumbers and cut them in half crosswise . Make pockets out of cross slits, leaving about ½ inch on end and make 4 slits. (Don’t cut them all the way through).
- Put them in a big bowl
- Sprinkle a half cup of salt onto the cucumber pieces, mix them carefully, and wait for 30 minutes
- In a big bowl, place a quarter cup of fish sauce, a half cup of hot pepper flakes, 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1 tbs of sugar, and mix them with a spoon.
- Chop Asian chives 1 inch (about 2 cm) in length (2 cups) and cut 3 green onions diagonally as the same size as the chives, shred some carrot (1/4 cup) , slice the onion (1/4 cup) thinly and place all this into the mixture of the seasoning paste. Mix it up with a spoon.
- Wash the cucumbers and drain them. Stuff the seasoning paste into the slotted cucumber and put each cucumber into an airtight container. You can wear rubber gloves while stuffing, if you want to protect your hands.
- Right after making it, you can eat it. But keep the leftover kimchii in the refrigerator.
Radish soup with beef (for 2-3 servings)
- 150 grams of beef brisket
- 2½ cups of sliced Korean radish
- 3 green onions
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ cup of fish sauce
- 6 cups of water
- Prepare a pot and pour 6 cups of water
- Cut radish into diagonally and thinly (about 2½ cups) and put it into the pot and cook it over medium high heat
- Chop beef brisket (150 grams) into small chunks and mince 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
- When the soup starts boiling about 10 minutes after, add the chunks of beef and garlic and boil it about 15 minutes more over medium heat.
- Skim the bubbles or stuff off the surface and add some fish sauce(depending on your taste) and put chopped green onions and cook 5 or 10minutes more over medium heat
- 1 cup of uncooked rice, 1 cup of barley and 2½ cup of water.
- Rinse the mixture of rice and barley in a pot.
- Put 2½ cup of water and cover the lid of the pot.
- Heat it over high heat until it boils, and stir it with a spoon a few times.
- Simmer about 20 minutes over low heat