Uhmook bokkeum is another easy Korean side dish recipe. It’s popular to have in a doshirak (the Korean version of the bento box) because it doesn’t contain much water.
2 cups of fish cakes, half an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 green onion, 1 green chili pepper, 2 tbs hot pepper paste, 1 -2 tbs corn syrup (or 1 tbs sugar), 1 tbs of vegetable oil, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- Cut fish cakes into 2 cups worth of bite sized pieces.
- Slice half an onion (¼ cup), mince 2 cloves of garlic, chop up 1 green onion and a green chili pepper. Set them aside on your cutting board or a plate.
- Add 1 tbs of vegetable oil to a heated pan.
- Add fish cakes to the pan and stir them for a few minutes until they look golden brown.
- Add the sliced onion, minced garlic, and chopped green chili pepper to the pan. Stir them with the fish cakes for a minute.
- Add 2 tbs hot pepper paste and 1 -2 tbs of corn syrup (“mulyeot” in Korean).
*tip: hot pepper paste is easily burned, so lift the pan up and down to control the heat after you add the hot pepper paste.
- Turn off the heat and add 1 ts of sesame oil, 2 ts of roasted sesame seeds and 1 chopped green onion.