I made vegetable pancake this time. This food reminds me of my mother’s side grandmother who passed away a long time ago. When I was young, my mother used to send me and my siblings to her mother’s house located in a small village in the countryside during school vacation.
My grandmother was the number one cook in the world!
Whatever she made, it was so tasty! I remember she made this vegetable pancake all afternoon because she had to feed so many family members. While she was cooking this pancake, we all waited, watching what she was doing until she finished. Once she brought it out, we ate it very fast!
When it’s a rainy weekend, one of family members says: “Do we have some materials for jeon Let’s make it!”
- ½ cup flour,
- 2/3 cup water
- ½ ts salt
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup Asian chives, chopped (if it’s not available, replace with green onion)
- ½ cup zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup chopped seafood (optional): squid, shrimp, or scallop
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil
- Make batter by mixing flour, salt, and water in a big bowl.
- Add green onions, Asian chives, zucchini, green chili pepper, and seafood and mix it up.
- In a large heated pan, put vegetable oil generously (about 3 tbs) and spread the vegetable pancake batter evenly into a circle. Press it down with a spoon or spatula. Lower the heat down to medium.
- When the pancake is cooked about 70%, beat one egg and spread it in the center of the pancake and cook a few minutes over low heat.
- Turn the pancake over.
- Add more oil if needed, and serve it hot with dipping sauce by mixing 1 tbs of soy sauce and ½ tbs of vinegar.