kimchi jjigae (kimchi stew) is a favorite dish among Koreans all year ’round. When you eat kimchi stew with rice, you don’t need any other side dishes. You can replace the pork in this recipe with a can of tuna, or even 2 cans of tuna. : )
- 200 grams of pork belly (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 or 5 cups of chopped kimchi
- 1 tbs sugar, 1 tsp of hot pepper flakes, 1 tbs hot pepper paste
- onion, green onions
- half a package of tofu
- sesame oil and water
Ok, let’s start!
- In a shallow pot, put some chopped kimchi and juice.
- Add sliced onion, hot pepper paste, hot pepper flakes, sugar, and green onions, and pork belly (or tuna).
- Pour water over top until all the ingredients are submerged.
- Close the lid of the pot and boil it 25 or 30 minutes. (first 10 minutes will be high heat and then turn down the heat over medium heat)
- Add some tofu and boil it 5 minutes more and put some sesame oil right before serving.
(To make the soybean sprouts side dish (kongnamul muchim) in this video, see this detailed recipe).