It’s a delicious korean food that I know you will love.
When I was in America 10 years ago, I made gimbap for a potluck party. One Ukrainian lady was eating my gimbap, but peeling off the “black paper.” She thought that it was real paper, and she only wanted to eat the delicious stuff inside!
I make 2 kinds of gimbap in this video, so be sure to watch until the end for special bonus footage.
- 5-6 cups cooked rice (made from 3 cups of uncooked rice)
- seaweed (“kim”)
- yellow radish pickle (“danmuji”)
- 1 avocado
- crabmeat, a can of tuna
- soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and seeds, and a green onion
Directions (2-3 servings):
- Prepare about 5-6 cups of cooked rice in a large bowl
- Make your mixing sauce by mixing up ½ tbs sugar, 1 ts salt, and 1 tbs of vinegar until the liquid looks clear
- Mix rice with the mixing sauce and stir it evenly. Set it aside for now.
Prepare a large plate to arrange all ingredients for gimbap
- Make seasoned tuna flakes
- Open a can of tuna and remove the oil or water. Put it on a heated pan and drizzle some sesame oil over it. Toss it and cook it for 2 minutes
- Add 1 tbs of soy sauce, ½ tbs of sugar, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1 ts of ground black pepper.
- Keep stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add 1 chopped green onion, 2 ts of sesame oil and 1 tbs of toasted sesame seeds.
- Place 3 yellow radish pickle strips on the plate.
- Place 3 pieces of crab meat on the plate.
- Slice an avocado and place it on the plate.
Let’s roll gimbap!
- Place a sheet of seaweed(“kim”) on the bamboo mat and evenly spread a layer of rice in the center of it.
- Place 2-3 spoons of seasoned tuna flakes on top of the layer of rice. Add a yellow radish pickle strip, some avocado, and a red crab meat strip.
- Roll it up gently using the bamboo mat.
- Remove the bamboo mat and cut the roll into pieces about 2 cm thick and place it on a plate
*tip: prepare a wet cloth or paper towel to wipe the knife while cutting, it will make it slice easier.
Fillings for Kimchi gimbap
If you want to make kimchi gimbap, instead of tuna gimbap, mix the following ingredients and use them instead of tuna:
½ cup of chopped Kimchi, ½ tbs of hot pepper paste, 1 ts sugar, ½ tbs of sesame oil, ½ tbs of sesame seeds, and 1 chopped green onion.